Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you like funky house?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

seannash wrote: »
    your saying people cant change there opinions about music.
    I don't think he's saying that at all. He's just saying that you can't make yourself like or dislike something. Although, you can grow to like or dislike something.

For example, I don't particularly like Country Music but every now and then I might hear a Country song that I like (doesn't happen very often mind!) but the fact is I can't control whether I like it not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

its not a concept its your point of view.and other people dont agree with you.
    if it works for you cool but it obviously isnt as black and white for other people.
    i never said my examples were about challenging songs.there have been songs ive heard that i didnt like in the begining but ive either heard it out or have herd it a few times and ive liked them after a while.
    your saying people cant change there opinions about music.
    im sure weve all bought tracks thinking that yeah thats a good one then get it home(vinyl im talking about now)only to discover its not as good as you had thought in the shop.

Who? you that can't grasp any part of the conversation?

or the guy who basis his musical taste on the other people who listen to it?

I'm really up against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

ntlbell wrote: »
    Who? you that can't grasp any part of the conversation?

or the guy who basis his musical taste on the other people who listen to it?

I'm really up against it.
    read the post i replied to,you were making a different point.in that post you were talking about chalenging songs,about growing to like something.
    i responded to that particular part of your comment.
    so am i following the conversation or not?
    i think ill take your advice about not posting in this thread:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Wow! I really ever expected all this from my post, but what the hey....

I think the whole genre debate can confuse things here, what i may call "Funky House" - others may just call it "House". I'm guessing there aren't too many people who have bad things to say about "House" - it is more or less the foundation of many of the genre's we know and love today.

Like one of the first posts says, house is supposed to be funky - it does originate from Disco after all.

Off the top of my head, here is a tune I've always loved:

Soul Central - Strings Of Life (Danny Krivit Re-Edit)

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to production etc, but i think this is a beautifully put together track. It just really uplifting and out of the many times I have heard this played out in bars & clubs, its always gets a fantastic reaction from the crowd and gets the place bouncing. That is the aim at the end of the day, isn't it?

I love tech house, minimal and techno, but there are times when i just want some easy going music, lounge music, stuff like hed kandi etc. Natural sounds and instruments, vocals and percussions. The genre has been around for a long time and no its not re writing the history books with its formula in that that, but its nice easy going likeable music. If I'm going out into town for a few drinks with a couple of chicks, its a good soundtrack to the night.

read the post i replied to,you were making a different point.in that post you were talking about chalenging songs,about growing to like something.
    i responded to that particular part of your comment.
    so am i following the conversation or not?
    i think ill take your advice about not posting in this thread:rolleyes:

The point still stands, the fact a song is challenging or not is irrelvant.

you brought up the point you didn't like something on first hearing and later you might like it. the fact you like something off the bat or not or if it's a challenging song that requires a bit of "effort" all of it is irrelevant.

At the end of the day you never choose to like or dislike, you only choose to listen or not.

I can't make it any easier for you to understand.

with the main point being you can't not like a genre because of the type of people who listen to it so let me throw in a few of my own

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »

I'll drop my scissors clippers and dance around my handbag to that no bother.

Great little track

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I think hairdressers get a bad rep! lol

Derrick may talking about the track

The point still stands, the fact a song is challenging or not is irrelvant.

you brought up the point you didn't like something on first hearing and later you might like it. the fact you like something off the bat or not or if it's a challenging song that requires a bit of "effort" all of it is irrelevant.

At the end of the day you never choose to like or dislike, you only choose to listen or not.

I can't make it any easier for you to understand.

with the main point being you can't not like a genre because of the type of people who listen to it so let me throw in a few of my own

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    now not to nit pick but i never said anything about the type of person who listens basing whether you like a genre or not.i agree with your views on that.
    i made the mistake of quoting someone (i missed the post where he said about the types of people who listened to it)and i think you presumed i shared there view on basing a genre on the type of people that listen to it.
    i was talking about liking music not being so black and white.i see your point
    but i know for a fact i have made a concious effort to try and like certain types of music before,sometimes my opinion of it changes sometimes it doesnt but before i listened to it again i had made up my mind on it.i didnt like it.
    arctic monkeys second album for example.i had listened to it and didnt really like it,one or two songs.got tickets to there gig so i went back to familiarise myself with the songs off the album that i didnt like before,just so id know what was going on at the gig.
    heard those songs live and it changed my mind about them(plus the subsequent listens)
    again when i was younger my brother used to play elton johns best of cd and also some disco tracks.id heard them all before and never liked them.id made my decision.but now that im older i like them,i appreciate them much more.
    so i didnt like them before(even after hearing elton john for a million times)but now im older i like them,i appreciate them

I'll drop my scissors clippers and dance around my handbag to that no bother.

Great little track
    doesnt do it for me im afraid but its definitely one that everyone else seems to like.
    ive seen it wreck floors though,people go mad for it when its dropped:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

Irlbo wrote: »
    One word ''Popcorn'',if you've been there,you know what Im talking about

I agree that popcorn was the biggest kip full of knackers ever, the dredges of society went there, but they never played funky house there mate. They played horrible grinding depressing electro house. Also before the White Horse closed they hadnt played funky house in a couple of years. So to say that either of them was full of knackers because they played funky house is fundamentally wrong because neither of them played that genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

Zascar wrote: »

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to production etc, but i think this is a beautifully put together track. It just really uplifting and out of the many times I have heard this played out in bars & clubs, its always gets a fantastic reaction from the crowd and gets the place bouncing. That is the aim at the end of the day, isn't it?

have you ever heard of 'rhythm is rhythm'

doesnt do it for me im afraid but its definitely one that everyone else seems to like.
    ive seen it wreck floors though,people go mad for it when its dropped:D

It's ok, just tell yourself to like it and you will, you have total control ;)

brianc27 wrote: »
    have you ever heard of 'rhythm is rhythm'
    oh no here come the oldschoolers :D:D

(j/k)

It's ok, just tell yourself to like it and you will, you have total control ;)
    smartass:D:D

actually hearing it and seeing the reaction did put it in a whole new light for me,i appreciated the impact it had on most people and my view changed in that respect.i knew that if i ever dropped it it would work even though in my mind it wouldnt.
    still wouldnt drop it though ha ha

but i know for a fact i have made a concious effort to try and like certain types of music before,sometimes my opinion of it changes sometimes it doesnt but before i listened to it again i had made up my mind on it.i didnt like it.
    arctic monkeys second album for example.i had listened to it and didnt really like it,one or two songs.got tickets to there gig so i went back to familiarise myself with the songs off the album that i didnt like before,just so id know what was going on at the gig.
    heard those songs live and it changed my mind about them(plus the subsequent listens)
    again when i was younger my brother used to play elton johns best of cd and also some disco tracks.id heard them all before and never liked them.id made my decision.but now that im older i like them,i appreciate them much more.
    so i didnt like them before(even after hearing elton john for a million times)but now im older i like them,i appreciate them

the only control you had in the above was to listen to it and give it another go, no one is saying you can't like something straight away, just about everything in my music collection that i love i didn't like it at the start.

But I didn't control the not liking at the start and i had no control over starting to like it. the only part i control is to put the cd in the player or not.

liking it or disliking has nothing to do with me it's totally and utterly out of my control.

I like lots of albums now I hated when i was younger in fact when I was about 14 if it wasn't moving at 180BPM i didn't want to know

now i can't stand gabba or happy hardcore but again, there not choices i made i stopped liking it, i didn't _choose_ to stop liking it I CHOSE to stop listening to it

these are the finer points that haven't sunk in yet, give it time grass hopper :P

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

oh no here come the oldschoolers :D:D

(j/k)

i just find it strange that someone who claims to like electronic music would refer to a complete bastardisation of a track such as that soul central effort and not the original of it, there was uproar over that soul central version amongst underground house music heads when it came out a few year ago.

for the record the 'rhythm is rhythm -strings of life' fcuking wrecks my head, way way way to over played over the years, even heard it this weekend

ps i hate oldschool

i just find it strange that someone who claims to like electronic music would refer to a complete bastardisation of a track such as that soul central effort and not the original of it, there was uproar over that soul central version amongst underground house music heads when it came out a few year ago.

for the record the 'rhythm is rhythm -strings of life' fcuking wrecks my head, way way way to over played over the years, even heard it this weekend

ps i hate oldschool

Maybe because they don't give two f*cks what people on the "underground house scene" think? who the f*ck are these people anyway?

the cult of junior vasquez?

funny-pictures-disco-fever-cat.jpg

ps i hate oldschool
    never liked the original either although alot of people did too.the soul central one was just an update,nothing wrong with giving a track a new lick of paint.
    if i had to choose id pick the new version.it sounds alot better.
    you dont have to automatically post the original of a track if its and update i guess,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

never liked the original either although alot of people did too.the soul central one was just an update,nothing wrong with giving a track a new lick of paint.
    if i had to choose id pick the new version.it sounds alot better.
    you dont have to automatically post the original of a track if its and update i guess,

I actually much prefer the original. Years ahead of its time. Im not old enough to know if it was overplayed during the years. I hate the remix to tell you the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

this thread is awesome.

it gets to me though that loads of people have echoed what i said by using the terms 'music for hairdressers/horrible gays/etc.' but because i came straight out and say it in more literal language and without demeaning any profession (poor hairdressers get a hard time), I end up getting slated for it.

Also, a few people here could do with realising that developing a cultured taste isn't necessarily a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

jtsuited wrote: »
    this thread is awesome.

it gets to me though that loads of people have echoed what i said by using the terms 'music for hairdressers/horrible gays/etc.' but because i came straight out and say it in more literal language and without demeaning any profession (poor hairdressers get a hard time), I end up getting slated for it.

Also, a few people here could do with realising that developing a cultured taste isn't necessarily a bad thing.

in fairness, the nearest most people around here ever get to "culture" is in their yoghurt...

in fairness, the nearest most people around here ever get to "culture" is in their yoghurt...

jaysus thank god you said that and not me!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

argh here we go again. ok to clarify, and to wind up a few people too, imo it is intellectually devoid. As in it does not appeal to the intellect whatsoever. And in fact I find it insulting to my intellect as an an artform.

Yeah it's an intellectually snobby view to have, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't an intellectual snob.

At least I'm being honest about it though.

oh and what i'm saying is pretty much like saying it's hairdresser music. just i'm using more concrete terms.

Sheesh... I opened a big feck-off can of worms there! :D

Why do some people like blue and others red? Why one scent of aftershave over another? Some like garlic and others don't? The list goes on...

Why does one persons brain and sense of hearing react differently to various sounds and music? More complex probably than a choice of one colour or one food over another but essentially down to human preferences.

It doesn't make any of these preferences better than the other, simply down to an individuals choice and personal preference.

It is an interesting subject and one which led me to this book - I have yet to order it but this thread reminds me that I should...

http://www.amazon.com/This-Your-Brain-Music-Obsession/dp/0452288525/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228239981&sr=8-1

I think our sense of hearing does mature with age and we ultimately end up liking music we may not have when we were younger - this is probably made up of life's experiences, new sounds and memories lodged in our heads that can be provoked or remembered from a simple stroke of a piano key, guitar riff or drum pattern... whatever, but the point is we probably absorb more sound as we move through life and end up appreciating more as a result. This doesn't suggest for a minute that one genre or style is better than another or equally more intellectually stimulating, simply that various styles will not appeal to everyones sense of hearing.

Plus maturity probably calms us down somewhat, most of what I listen to these days is much more home-listening than dancefloor, but still of the electronic variety.

Anyway, all IMO! :pac: And funky house is still sh*te. :D

this thread is awesome.

LOL, not directed at you as such but I forgot to LOL at whoever said 'music for hairdressers and horrible gays' in the first place! :D

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Sheesh... I opened a big feck-off can of worms there! :D

Why do some people like blue and others red? Why one scent of aftershave over another? Some like garlic and others don't? The list goes on...

Why does one persons brain and sense of hearing react differently to various sounds and music? More complex probably than a choice of one colour or one food over another but essentially down to human preferences.

It doesn't make any of these preferences better than the other, simply down to an individuals choice and personal preference.

It is an interesting subject and one which led me to this book - I have yet to order it but this thread reminds me that I should...

http://www.amazon.com/This-Your-Brain-Music-Obsession/dp/0452288525/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228239981&sr=8-1

I think our sense of hearing does mature with age and we ultimately end up liking music we may not have when we were younger - this is probably made up of life's experiences, new sounds and memories lodged in our heads that can be provoked or remembered from a simple stroke of a piano key, guitar riff or drum pattern... whatever, but the point is we probably absorb more sound as we move through life and end up appreciating more as a result. This doesn't suggest for a minute that one genre or style is better than another or equally more intellectually stimulating, simply that various styles will not appeal to everyones sense of hearing.

Plus maturity probably calms us down somewhat, most of what I listen to these days is much more home-listening than dancefloor, but still of the electronic variety.

Anyway, all IMO! :pac: And funky house is still sh*te. :D

lol.
    can of worms indeed.
    and i disagree with a lot of the above. your ears become educated as you grow. there is a measurable quality to musicality within the brain. it's not 'just a matter of opinion'. there are more complex appreciations than others. but it's a debate for a different day and probably an entirely different forum.

lol.
    can of worms indeed.
    and i disagree with a lot of the above. your ears become educated as you grow. there is a measurable quality to musicality within the brain. it's not 'just a matter of opinion'. there are more complex appreciations than others. but it's a debate for a different day and probably an entirely different forum.

Why not discuss here, or equally a new thread to discuss? Or point me towards the forum where it should be! Genuinely interested in the subject, given that music is by far the most important thing in my life (after wife and kids of course!) :D

I didn't say 'matter of opinion' either, I said preference/choice... very different.

I wouldn't disagree at all with your comment about ears becoming educated as you grow, but that goes hand in hand with how your brain reacts as it grows, your ears are a channel to your brain after all!

So do you feel that say your choice of music over mine for example, equates to a more 'intelligent' choice, or one that is more intellectually stimulating?

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Why not discuss here, or equally a new thread to discuss? Or point me towards the forum where it should be! Genuinely interested in the subject, given that music is by far the most important thing in my life (after wife and kids of course!) :D

I didn't say 'matter of opinion' either, I said preference/choice... very different.

I wouldn't disagree at all with your comment about ears becoming educated as you grow, but that goes hand in hand with how your brain reacts as it grows, your ears are a channel to your brain after all!

So do you feel that say your choice of music over mine for example, equates to a more 'intelligent' choice, or one that is more intellectually stimulating?
    i have no idea as i don't know you. if i was to tell you the answer that question though i would do some relatively simple tests.

A pitch differentiation test. A timbre differentiation test, and an SPL differentiation test.

After establishing that you have 'musical' ears, then it would be merely a case of examining how many different types of music you can understand. As in, point out the defining characteristics of a genre in musical terms. Not using big fancy words like polyphony, polyrhythm, counterpoint, syncopation, etc but getting you to sing or play certain bits of music common to a genre.
    I could say what's the link between these two different pieces of music. and you'd say the bassline uses the same timbre, structure, etc.

these are all empirically measurable things and have nothing to do with subjectivity.

for example, some people have perfect pitch. this means they can tell what note is playing without any reference to a different note. a very small percentage of people have it.
    on the opposite end of the spectrum, far more people are completely arhytmical and tone-deaf. As in they cannot make a discernible difference between pitches and cannot hear the beat in a piece of music. look at any dancefloor and you will see at least a few people dancing completely out of time with the music. these people are arhythmical. I have tried teaching drums to one person who is both tone deaf, and arhythmic and it is genuinely impossible.

• Advertisement

i have no idea as i don't know you. if i was to tell you the answer that question though i would do some relatively simple tests.

A pitch differentiation test. A timbre differentiation test, and an SPL differentiation test.

After establishing that you have 'musical' ears, then it would be merely a case of examining how many different types of music you can understand. As in, point out the defining characteristics of a genre in musical terms. Not using big fancy words like polyphony, polyrhythm, counterpoint, syncopation, etc but getting you to sing or play certain bits of music common to a genre.
    I could say what's the link between these two different pieces of music. and you'd say the bassline uses the same timbre, structure, etc.

these are all empirically measurable things and have nothing to do with subjectivity.

So basically, if you were to place a number of people in a room, and test their musical ability by way of the methods mentioned above, you could then determine how 'intelligent' their musical preference is?

Advertisement