Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they manning the gates?

Options
  • 28-11-2008 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if they're manning the gates today at the campuses?

They said they were going to today but the SU have been up in arms about it.
    So anyone know if it's going ahead?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

gubbie wrote: »

for what purpose? to check its only staff/students coming in to park there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

for what purpose? to check its only staff/students coming in to park there?

No, to stop people having fun

They put it down as "To make campus safer" but hey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Im gad that the SU are up in arms about this and I support them fully in this action. It's a horrific breach of privacy and the sneaky way in which it was brought in (the day before reading week with limited announcements till yesterday) in order to stifle protest annoys me very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I'm confused... who's being oppressed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Alyosha

Don't live on campus but saw the letter they got in Glenomena today. Rules kicking in tonight.

No guests will be admitted between 11pm and 7am, with all guests having to be off campus by 11:30pm. There was some kind of warning about drunken behaviour. Also something about monitoring access to residence carparks from 2pm (or maybe 4pm) onwards. Only staff and students allowed in.

I think it's written into licence to reside that overnight guests etc not permitted, but dont think they should begin forcing the rule at this stressful stage of the year...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭chrissor

With regard to overnight guests not permitted, do they mean students who do not live on campus or just non-students.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

I think it's written into licence to reside that overnight guests etc not permitted, but dont think they should begin forcing the rule at this stressful stage of the year...!

The stage of the year will be less stressful if your place of residence is not being despoiled by drunken bowsies. Keep the barbarians from the gate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

So no more going back to her place afterwards? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Stupid Idea if it no guests rule is imposed .

I think there will be a good few wire cutters to the fences around the place

It is student accomodation I think

And it's a bit ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

33% God wrote: »
    Im gad that the SU are up in arms about this and I support them fully in this action. It's a horrific breach of privacy

How is it a breach of privacy? If their role is to keep campus secure surely they are well within their remit to monitor access points. All i saw was one of their 4x4s at the main gate and big increase in security which is expected on the last day of term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Think this is a bit of a farce to be honest, they put up a gate between Glenomena and the x bus stop that's at the end of a dark lit lane so if you're going into the residency at night you have to walk through the dark lane before you get to a secure point. Bit pointless when they could have just had it 20 odd feet further ahead so people wouldn't be freaking out over that one little area.

Is the no over night guests thing completely strict or is more like in Limerick where an overnight guest has to be signed in before a certain time (like 8pm) so it's not just randomers coming back. Have to be something like that I imagine for all the people with friends coming up/nights out with friends on campus who don't live nearby surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

By the rules of residency, your explicitly banned from having guests stay over, so I doubt you can sign your mates in or anything.

Being a resident at Merville, I'm finding it really hard to be bothered about this. The thought of campus security preventing drunken idiots from wandering around the accommodation after hours and throwing eggs and beer cans at/through my windows is really tearing me up inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Raphael wrote: »
    I'm finding it really hard to be bothered about this. The thought of campus security preventing drunken idiots from wandering around the accommodation after hours and throwing eggs and beer cans at/through my windows is really tearing me up inside.

You can't switch from sincerity to sarcasm like that! It's disconcerting! you should have said "isn't really tearing me up inside" or gone all out and said "I'm really enraged and bothered by this," for a full on sarcastic approach! as it stands, I'm not sure how I feel about all this ambivalence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

The security measures in Glenomena seem overly restrictive as they're restricting access only via the Merville entrance between 23.00pm and 7.00am. While for able bodied students, it'd be but a minor annoynance but for physically disabled students (and I know one) it's actually dangerous and has the potential to make their lives very difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Are they resticting access to the residences only?

Where I'm living in Stockholm they give you bunk beds for guests. If you don't want it, you can disassemble the top part. Then you get two mattresses, which is fantastically comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

its just to enforce the rules which have been in effect since the start of year apart from the restricted access for cars from 14:00 onwards

although it does make getter to centra that little bit harder lol

How is it a breach of privacy? If their role is to keep campus secure surely they are well within their remit to monitor access points. All i saw was one of their 4x4s at the main gate and big increase in security which is expected on the last day of term
    I don't see that this improves security at all. The vast majority of campus robberies take place during the daylight hours anyway, when people will be able to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

There is privacy and there is a big brother state. All this was put up within a week of anyone hearing about it. And we were told 12 hours before anything happened. Also tonight is freezing and I had to stand for 5 minutes waiting for security to check that I lived there. And yes 5 minutes is a lot when it only takes me 5 minutes to walk home. And I'm one of the slow ones. And this was a pointless waste of time considering it was only 6 o clock.

No one ever knew about this type of security when they moved in so you have to wonder if they still would have lived here if they'd known that they'd have been policed so securely. FFS us in Glen are final years and postgrads. We don't need this ****e

There is privacy and there is a big brother state. All this was put up within a week of anyone hearing about it. And we were told 12 hours before anything happened. Also tonight is freezing and I had to stand for 5 minutes waiting for security to check that I lived there. And yes 5 minutes is a lot when it only takes me 5 minutes to walk home. And I'm one of the slow ones. And this was a pointless waste of time considering it was only 6 o clock.

No one ever knew about this type of security when they moved in so you have to wonder if they still would have lived here if they'd known that they'd have been policed so securely. FFS us in Glen are final years and postgrads. We don't need this ****e
    Plus the fact that guest rules were always ridiculous in Merville. I have a friend who lives in Roebuck who hates her roommates and often comes pver to our place to hang out,and frequently doesn't go home till 1/2. Now she can't hang out with us and has to be gone by half 11. The overnight guest rules were fine when there was leeway in enforecement to allow for things like that, now there isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I suspect the gates idea probably came in after the unbelievable amount of destruction in Belgrove on the last day of exams in Summer this year. And of course rather than suggest that it might have been Belgrove residents, the finger of blame was pointed at non-residents who had come in for parties, so what's the obvious solution...?

I don't think the gates per se are a bad idea, what probably needs changing is the rules for guests etc. Plus no-one seems to know if it's going to be a manned entry point like a porters hut, swipe entry or what on the finished articles.

OK I don't give a sh ite about them there only one entrance ,but for heaven sake they should be sensible and allow people to have a pass for accommodation for vistors ,maybe a charge of €5 person .This is just ludicrous .
    It really isn't right .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The whole concept is absurd. I don't know anyone who is happy about living in this soon to be prison.
    I actually had a chat with some of the pulse lads on my way home tonight - they think the gates are a ridiculous idea and that they've already caused more trouble than they've prevented.
    We must remember that the security lads don't make the decisions and a lot of the time they won't agree with the decisions made, but they have to do what they're told or they'll lose their jobs and most of them have families to feed.
    It's Richard Brierly and a few other villains of his kind that are enforcing these rules, but he gets to hide away under his duvet at night while the poor security lads take the blame for his decisions, so have a go at Brierly, not security - most of whom are really sound if you give them a chance.
    I'll buy a pint for anyone who puts prison-style gates up outside Brierly's house - see how he likes it.
    As William Wallace would say - "Brierly can attempt to take away our land, but if he thinks he can take away our freedom, he's got another thing coming."
    What we need to do is create some of that community spirit Martin Butler talks about, by coming together, marching up to Richard Brierly's office and show him that we do not take kindly to being treated like prisoners and tell him that if he attempts to close those gates again, without consulting the students and enforcing the rules that we want and only the rules that we want, that we will not stand for it and act as we see accordingly.
    We want to resolve this issue peacefully, but if Brierly and his cronies continue to play dirty, we too may stoop to his level of scum-baggery.
    Say NO to Gates, say NO to Draconian Regime, and say NO to Prison-like Residences.

The whole concept is absurd. I don't know anyone who is happy about living in this soon to be prison.
    I actually had a chat with some of the pulse lads on my way home tonight - they think the gates are a ridiculous idea and that they've already caused more trouble than they've prevented.
    We must remember that the security lads don't make the decisions and a lot of the time they won't agree with the decisions made, but they have to do what they're told or they'll lose their jobs and most of them have families to feed.
    It's Richard Brierly and a few other villains of his kind that are enforcing these rules, but he gets to hide away under his duvet at night while the poor security lads take the blame for his decisions, so have a go at Brierly, not security - most of whom are really sound if you give them a chance.
    I'll buy a pint for anyone who puts prison-style gates up outside Brierly's house - see how he likes it.
    As William Wallace would say - "Brierly can attempt to take away our land, but if he thinks he can take away our freedom, he's got another thing coming."
    What we need to do is create some of that community spirit Martin Butler talks about, by coming together, marching up to Richard Brierly's office and show him that we do not take kindly to being treated like prisoners and tell him that if he attempts to close those gates again, without consulting the students and enforcing the rules that we want and only the rules that we want, that we will not stand for it and act as we see accordingly.
    We want to resolve this issue peacefully, but if Brierly and his cronies continue to play dirty, we too may stoop to his level of scum-baggery.
    Say NO to Gates, say NO to Draconian Regime, and say NO to Prison-like Residences.
    Oh it is definitely on the cards. I think we need to get exams out of the way .don't mind the gates tbh ,hate the thought of not being able to bring someone back .For fecks sake we are adults( by law) .

Raphael wrote: »
    By the rules of residency, your explicitly banned from having guests stay over, so I doubt you can sign your mates in or anything.

Being a resident at Merville, I'm finding it really hard to be bothered about this. The thought of campus security preventing drunken idiots from wandering around the accommodation after hours and throwing eggs and beer cans at/through my windows is really tearing me up inside.
    I live in Merville and I've never encountered any of those problems except one egg being throw at my living room window.
    It hasn't given me PTSD or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

It's ridiculous how quickly they sprung up. Had been following it in the university papers but thought there was no chance of it happening. I guess I underestimated the powers that be.

Was visiting Glenomena yesterday and the little laneway from the carpark's big new gate was locked so I went in the main walkway where the gate was open with no one manning it.
    What's the plan for these? Is there going to be someone on them 24 hours?
    I know whenever I go visiting I won't be saying I'm a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Given the timing, I'm guessing this is a late night drunk post? :D

I couldn't get res when I was an undergrad. If you really don't like it, why not move out and rent like everyone else who isn't living at home? But you'll find there's still rules and if you get an apartment somewhere, you may well find that it's gated access... I've never met anyone who had a problem with this where they are living off campus. Could the root of the problem be that the residences won't be 24 hour party pads anymore if gates go in...?

Why not drop the melodrama and get something done about the res rules, especially in relation to visitors? Short of taking an anglegrinder to them, there probably isn't much to be done about the gates themselves at this point...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    Could the root of the problem be that the residences won't be 24 hour party pads anymore if gates go in...?

I think the root of the problem is that people moved in to their houses thinking that they were going to get what they saw and not for gates and security measures to spring up practically overnight all over campus without being consulted or even warned about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

The gates are a load of bol*ox. I don't live on campus, but heading up to someones apartment is sooooo handy after nights out in the student bar.

I reckon that they'll be down/become less strict in a few weeks. I read a 'TOP STORY', article in the University Observer about a robbed laptop from Merville (Which was eventually recovered). There's clearly not that much robberies around campus if that made it into the paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

complain 2 sum geezer called brady - runs de gaff

Advertisement