Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strangest thing you have run over.

Options
  • 27-11-2008 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Whats the strangers thing you have run over or swerved to avoid on a bike? For me it was a Golden Eagle in Majorca, standing on the road eating a rabbit as I came round a corner on a decent at about 50kph or a bullock that jumped a fence in Sligo into the middle of the bunch in Mooney Cup about 10 years ago. Have heard of people in Florida hitting alligators.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Mmmm it was cat a couple of weeks ago, came out on to the road from the bushes, I avoided him.

I almost cycled into a half eaten kebab once ... scared the cr*ap out of me ... that's what happens when I forget my glasses while cycling at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Just the remains of a tattered green umbrella between foster's ave. and belfield for me.

All the steel supports are mangled and sticking out, kinda dangerous actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jollylee

I hit a small rabbit once while cycling down a steep hill near home when i was much younger. Felt terrible afterwards but no idea did he survive or not as i was going at a decent speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

An emu. OK, I didn't have to swerve, I stopped a good 10 feet back and waited till he got out of the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i ran over a squirrel in the phoenix park once. very traumatising. probably even worse for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭danburke

A calf and its mother on a descent in Galway...

The calf thought it was a game and proceeded to chase my uphill for 2miles lol

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A snake, in rural France. Missed it by a couple of inches.

I chased it into the bushes, but it was too fast.

It was THIS big (arms wide).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Hundreds if not thousands of little tiny froglings (froglets? froggies? whatever - teeny frogs) hopping across the road from the fields to a river in Lijiang, China. They were EVERYWHERE. Some of them got popped by the tyres as we rode over them. Yeuch. Poor things. Must have a picture somewhere if I can find it.

edit: good thread by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

danburke wrote: »
    A calf and its mother on a descent in Galway...

The calf thought it was a game and proceeded to chase my uphill for 2miles lol

I chased a cow once ... I thought it was funny ... the poor cow was the one tromatised .. I have a photo ... must post it ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

About 5 week ago a herd of goat jumped out from a ditch and nearly ran into me on the road between Scalp and Enniskerry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

For me it was another cyclist, and yes i was cycling a bicycle. I kid you not! this idiot decided to take a central postion on the road with me behind him following the road ahead. He hadn't indicated at all, but given his road position i assumed he was turning right, next thing i know he swerves left, straight across my path. And having 0 time to react, i tboned him ran over the top of his bike/himself, and remained up right and came to a stop leaving carnage, and a lot of confused looking pedestrians.
    the cyclist in question was fine after sitting down and taking a few deep breaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Lots of deer in balinastoe & 3rock. One chap bounded out of the brush right in front of me, scared the lard outa me. Probably bump into them in the park as well.

Oh and I cycled into a roadworks sign once when I wasn't paying attention, but managed to stay on the bike. quite embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

A stag about a mile from my house. I didn't actually hit him but it was fair close, frightened the life out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Great, I put an umbrella and everyone else has got a whole load of animals to run over.

Maybe I will run over my dog later, he does get freaked out when I start wheeling bikes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭paddy's hill

Best answer so far is caroline_ie who is afraid of kebabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Needabike

Bloody Fans during my 2004 time trial up alpe d'heuz

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Similar to Dirk's experience, a stake did fall off the back of a truck once but unfortunately for me bounced into my front spokes. Sudden stop, over the bars, bike wrecked.

I have come pretty close with little yappy dogs on occasion. There was one in particular up in Glencullen that would come bounding out of a drive any time I went past. So one day, when it did this on cue, I screeched the bike to a halt, turned around, and started chasing the dog back in the direction it had come from. There was quite an expanse of solid wall and no-where for it to really go although it did try to squeeze into a couple of gaps unsuccessfully. Finally made it through a gate. I never had a problem with that dog again :D

oh oh, a pallet truck! :)
    It fell off the back of a lorry out near Lusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Nearly hit a badger on the way back from my aborted Dub-Gal-Dub...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Nearly hit a badger on the way back from my aborted Dub-Gal-Dub...
    Was that the same badger that ran across the road on the WAY or were you just hallucinating at that point :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    Was that the same badger that ran across the road on the WAY or were you just hallucinating at that point :D

Hehe, no, this was a second one that was a lot closer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Best answer so far is caroline_ie who is afraid of kebabs.

Are you Conor Lenihan in disguise:p

I was drafting a tuktuk thing in southern China with about 6 workmen on it who were engaging me in some sort of random banter. The tuktuk went over a snake and so did I. Huge, bigger than Lumen's. It was about a metre long and pudding thick. I'm squeamish even now when I remember its flailing tail brushing my ankles. The tuktuk stopped and the lads ran over and grabbed the stunned snake and killed it and took it away with them. By sign language they were planning to eat it. I was too rattled to keep up with them then and never found out if they'd have offered me any.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Had to bail off my bike to avoid a pidgeon going straight for my face.
    I think the bruises and grases were not nearly as bad as potentially having my eye poked out by a psyco bird.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

A dog once basically ran under my wheel, luckily it was ok.

...oh the dog was fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've hit a car (noob cyclist), ran over the family dog (don't "walk" a dog on a short leash while on a bike) and a little old dear who just turned 90 degree and stepped of the footpath.

Other times I have been hit by cars or they just stopped in front of me leaving me with nowhere to go, I can't quite consider those situation where I have run over things. Flown over, maybe ...

Like a few others: almost hit some deer, sheep, dogs (one who just stopped and looked curiousity at me when I was going towards him). Brakes are a wonderful thing.

I chased a cow once ... I thought it was funny ... the poor cow was the one tromatised .. I have a photo ... must post it ...

Here's LDB chasing a cow in Leitrim...

67453.JPG

The chap on left had been following us down and was desperate to join his friends who were ahead of us, but he was afraid to pass us.

67454.JPG

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Like Ken it was frogs. One weekend in Wicklow last spring there was loads of small ones all over the road. I was wondering what all the pink stuff was until I realised it was loads of dead frongs.

Myself and niceonetom had a close shave with a deer this summer too. Came running across the road when we were in a group coming down the side of Djouce. Half a second later and it would have been one scary pileup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Nearly ran over a few of the locals down here in Cork several times....Just not quick enough...;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 john77

Victor wrote: »
    (don't "walk" a dog on a short leash while on a bike) ...

:D

Ran over my kid brother once. (i was time-trialling round the farm on my BMX & he got in the way...)

Advertisement