Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Trainer ...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

How does a turbo session compare to a spinning session in the gym? Apart from being on an actual real bike that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

oobydooby wrote: »
    How does a turbo session compare to a spinning session in the gym? Apart from being on an actual real bike that is.

Your bike will have a freewheel for starters, presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Raam wrote: »
    Your bike will have a freewheel for starters, presumably.

I did try to see if the fixie would go on the turbo, but the back wheel hub is too narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Bambaata wrote: »
    I'll let you know by 7 or 8. At work right now and it just arrived to em here today so its still all boxed up. Might hook he laptop up to a table infront of it so i can report while on it ;-)

The hangover has somewhat subsided so i should be ok for it

Cool cool -if you can get it together in time -it's supposed to be horrible hard to put together! you should also get this and stick the flow into the laptop!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

This months 220 Triathlon magazine has a reviews of around 10 mid priced turbo trainers. I don't have the mag with me so I can't remember which one they rated the highest. One issue that came up was the noise level, how have the people who use them found the noise level.

From a sweat point of view I know there is a towel type thing that will clip onto the bars and the seat post to catch the sweat drops.

I was thinking of gettting one myself but there are other items higher on the proiority list.

• Advertisement

From a sweat point of view I know there is a towel type thing that will clip onto the bars and the seat post to catch the sweat drops.

You know you have too much money when you get one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

oops.... um.... LOOK!, A Diversion.... scurries away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Aha! so that's what these are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bambaata

yeah i wont be getting one of those for a while. next on the shopping list is a HRM, then carbon aerobars when i get comfortable on the new TT bike (when i get it). After that i may thing about this expensive towel but im sure there'll be some competition when the time comes. A friend got a sweet deal on the mat. I think he picked it up for 20 quid or so when cycleways had their sale!! Wish i'd seen that when i was there cos i knew I was getting one soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

How's it working out for you -I'm getting one of them of Santa!

I've got one bout 3 wks now, put it together no problem, think it was my past experience with putting together the tacx Sirrius last year that help :-)

Haven't got on it yet thou, should do really, since that's the reason i bought it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

I have a Tacx and last week managed to do the Heart of Evergreen course (whislt watching 2 movies). 5 hrs 20 mins - by far the longest I spent on it....

My socks were literally squelching by the end of it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    My socks were literally squelching by the end of it :eek:
    Well I suppose it will help if you are training for a triathlon. Cycling and swimming at the same time!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

I'll let you know by 7 or 8. At work right now and it just arrived to em here today so its still all boxed up. Might hook he laptop up to a table infront of it so i can report while on it ;-)

The hangover has somewhat subsided so i should be ok for it

is it possible to benefit from training, hours of turbo sessions, long spins with a club, if you got out to get drunk at the end of it all?

you know what i actually don't think it's very beneficial. i could be wrong but i believe scientific studies suggest alcohol isn't good to use to replace liquids lost. imagine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

you know what i actually don't think it's very beneficial. i could be wrong but i believe scientific studies suggest alcohol isn't good to use to replace liquids lost. imagine!!
    That's bo11ox. Beer is made almost entirely from water and carbs. The alcohol is a teency percentage, rarely more than 8 or 9%. Sure if you go and drink *pure* alcohol it's not a good way to rehydrate, but beer is fine. And I should know, I drink enough of it :D

a guy i cycle with, a hematologist, claims alcohol changes the composition of your blood. your red blood cells cannot bind properly with oxygen to transport around the system for several days after consumption. i'm no doctor but it goes something like that.

so i guess you cannot train nearly as hard as you need to increase your level of fitness. particularly when alcohol reduces your body's ability to produce glucose, so you have less energy and less endurance capacity. what i'm pointing out is that BAMBAATA is spending extra hours on a turbo, or out on the roads, and may not be benefiting from it. we'll all agree turbos are very boring, so i like to think if we use one, we'll gain from one.

ba i fully understand alcohol and exercise and competition are a no no. You are talking as though i'm an alcoholic. I havent had a night out wioth work in about 9 months. I rarely drink and wouldnt ever think i could go on the piss often while tryiogn to get to a level i feel i can reach!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

ba wrote: »
    so i guess you cannot train nearly as hard as you need to increase your level of fitness. particularly when alcohol reduces your body's ability to produce glucose, so you have less energy and less endurance capacity. what i'm pointing out is that BAMBAATA is spending extra hours on a turbo, or out on the roads, and may not be benefiting from it. we'll all agree turbos are very boring, so i like to think if we use one, we'll gain from one.

not very specific to cycling really, but article in today's indo bout alcohol and sports performance......quite interesting viws and suggestions

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/just-the-one-will-do-for-trap-troops-1556218.html

good for you Bambaata. i should clarify i was referring to that instance only where you hopped on the turbo after recovering from a hangover, and if it sounded like i was passing you off as an alcoholic, apologies. i was proposing what repeated drink+cycling routine would or would not lead to - optimism performance etc. it could apply to anybody.

agreed, the article isn't specific to cycling, but we can all take lessons from it.

coola boola. sorry i took it the wrong way. i just couldnt hold off giving the new toy its maiden voyage. Will be doing some damage on it tonight too. I really like it cos i can easily now spend an hour on it and head straight out for a run which i need to do more of for tri's.

• Advertisement

Yeah but he talks about "one drink:One bottle of beer, one glass of wine, one pint". Which is in itself hardly what you might call scientific given that
    e.g. from here
    1 pint of guinness = 1.9 'standard drinks'
    1 330ml bottle of Leffe Bruin = 1.6 'standard drinks'
    1 large (150ml) glass of wine is 1.7 'standard drinks'
    (and curiously a pint of OHaras stout doesn't count at all! :D )
    there's a difference in the amount of alcohol consumed in "one" drink. If you get a big enough glass you can fit a whole bottle of wine into it....

kenmc wrote: »
    Yeah but he talks about "one drink:One bottle of beer, one glass of wine, one pint". Which is in itself hardly what you might call scientific given that

there's a difference in the amount of alcohol consumed in "one" drink. If you get a big enough glass you can fit a whole bottle of wine into it....

You keep making your excuses Ken ;)

You keep making your excuses Ken ;)
    Thanks, I might just. Besides, I also think there's no point in setting your goals too high, cos you'll just be disappointed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

One of them came with my turbo (a €100 turbo). You sweat a lot on the turbo.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    One of them came with my turbo (a €100 turbo). You sweat a lot on the turbo.

Aye, I had a go on the bro's. It was pouring off me.

ba i fully understand alcohol and exercise and competition are a no no.
    Laurent Jalabert was know as Jaja (slang for glass of wine) because he didn't give up wine while he was a pro. (although I'm sure he wasn't boozing during the TdF)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Floyd Landis' excuse for the high testosterone level in his blood when he got done in the tour was from being on the piss the night before...

Floyd Landis' excuse for the high testosterone level in his blood when he got done in the tour was from being on the piss the night before...
    Poor old Floyd went through a few excuses, and even some more according to Letterman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Poor old Floyd went through a few excuses, and even some more according to Letterman.

LOL that's some good reading. God loves a tryer

• Advertisement
Advertisement