Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sgs centre Limerick!

Options
  • 25-11-2008 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭

Anyone else finding it near impossible to pass their driving test with SGS in Limerick?
    Just failed my second test-the tester claimed I didn't see a pedestrian crossing on the other side of the road on a crossing with an island thingy-(bus stop outside Cresent shopping centre.)
    Really annoys me, considering all the things my friends and family were left off with in their tests!
    Are the claims of sgs centres reaching their "end of" date true?
    Stories please!:)

EDIT: Sorry guys- I didn't realise I was breaking rules here-if anyone knows how to close down a thread- please let me know-(or go ahead and do it) Terribly sorry-I was too busy ranting :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I passed first time with them after failing with the RSA. Found the tester to be very fair. Which centre did you do the test at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

SGS centre near south hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

but that person doesnt affect u, as the island breaks the pedestrian crossing into two seperate crossings?! is that all he failed you on?

zuroph wrote: »
    but that person doesnt affect u, as the island breaks the pedestrian crossing into two seperate crossings?! is that all he failed you on?
    I know! It was total bull- I would have passed otherwise but he gave me an X in the red in Hazards for this "pedestrian" that should have had nothing to do with me. He even went onto patronize me by saying "Oh, well, traffic was very busy-you might not have been able to see him....":mad:

is there an appeal system?

• Advertisement

is there an appeal system?
    It's not even worth it-my word against his and all I can win is a free test. It'd probably cost me more to appeal. There should be a complaints section in RSA though- so I can at least make a complaint. But there isn't :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

When I was doing driving lesson a few years back I was told that you should stop in such a case. I find it a bit weird myself but it must be the rule.

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    When I was doing driving lesson a few years back I was told that you should stop in such a case. I find it a bit weird myself but it must be the rule.
    Still even so, it shouldn't have been a fail mark-maybe a grade 2 at most. There was no way I could have spotted the pedestrian-he was just too far away and I was trying to keep an eye on a bus pulling out in front of me.:eek: For me to hit him he would have had to suddenly gained super powers to reach me in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

I did my test in Shannon about 5 years ago, found it a lot easier and alot more relaxing than the test in Limerick.

Musha wrote: »
    I did my test in Shannon about 5 years ago, found it a lot easier and alot more relaxing than the test in Limerick.
    My fellas mum always tells me to do my test in tipp town-actually hearing what she and her daughter did on their tests and passed with-I should! Hopefully though, I'll pass the next one-or else I'll go for shannon or tipp.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Passed mine on the first go. Lady I had was actually really nice.

helios wrote: »
    Passed mine on the first go. Lady I had was actually really nice.
    Where'd you do yours Helios?:confused:

did my test in shannon at half five in the evening on a friday at start of june bank holiday weekend. passed in about 15 minutes from walking into the office. i suspect he just wanted to go home. asked me one question from the book then said "u obviously know this off by heart, come on, lets go for a drive." he took me over to industrial estate, got me to reverse around a corner then said "take me back to the test centre". i thought i'd failed. walked back into his office and he says "you found ur way back here without any directions, you obviously went to the bother of getting a few lessons, well done, congrats."

My dads guinness was still settling when i picked him up :D

also,

my gf's tester asked her for a hug when he passed her, and spent most of her test trying to chat her up. She refuses to point him out to me.:mad:

did my test in shannon at half five in the evening on a friday at start of june bank holiday weekend. passed in about 15 minutes from walking into the office. i suspect he just wanted to go home. asked me one question from the book then said "u obviously know this off by heart, come on, lets go for a drive." he took me over to industrial estate, got me to reverse around a corner then said "take me back to the test centre". i thought i'd failed. walked back into his office and he says "you found ur way back here without any directions, you obviously went to the bother of getting a few lessons, well done, congrats."

My dads guinness was still settling when i picked him up :D
    That. Is. Awesome! I want a test like that!!:eek:

also,

my gf's tester asked her for a hug when he passed her, and spent most of her test trying to chat her up. She refuses to point him out to me.:mad:
    A girl that did her test just as I was leaving was wearing the tiniest dress ever and was done up for a disco-I wonder if she passed.........

Where'd you do yours Helios?:confused:

Roxboro

Roxboro
    Luck of the draw I guess-did you get away with anything you knew was wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

The SGS centre in Limerick has the highest pass rate of any other centre in Limerick.

I passed my test there first time. Instructor was a bit of a robot but after he was very nice and said i was a very good driver. If you fail a driving test your obviously not good enough.

However to the OP, your allowed go through a pedestrian crossing if its seperated by an island and the pedestrian is on the other side of the road. I doubt he failed you on that, it must of been something else .

The SGS centre in Limerick has the highest pass rate of any other centre in Limerick.

I passed my test there first time. Instructor was a bit of a robot but after he was very nice and said i was a very good driver. If you fail a driving test your obviously not good enough.

However to the OP, your allowed go through a pedestrian crossing if its seperated by an island and the pedestrian is on the other side of the road. I doubt he failed you on that, it must of been something else .

Nope, that's what he failed me on-only had five grade 2 marks otherwise.
    (One for gears, one for observation in reverse, one for position on the straight, observation changing lane and one for position at a stop sign) Got a big red for the pedestrian crossing and he went onto describe why. He was quite smarmy about it too-said to me "Oh, traffic was very busy-he was hard to see."
    That's why I wrote the thread-what he did was completely in the wrong.
    But there's no point fighting it-I won't get anywhere-but I was interested to know how many people are experiencing the same. The five people waiting with me (I was given the wrong time so had to hang around for an hour.) all had similar stories to mine and all failed again that day too.

I know that during the summer it was quite easy to pass there and I was even quite relieved to get the SGS testers coz I'd heard awful things about the RSA testers but it's totally changed there now.
    My friends all did their tests there and did stupid mistakes and still passed- ie one friend totally forgot to look over her shoulder and look in mirror before pulling off-even said "oh, crap" when she did it and she passed. The examiner even laughed at her mistake.
    No way she'd pass now. The SGS contracts are running out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

A few of my friends had failed there but i dont think they were really good drivers.

By the sounds of it OP your a good driver and i feel sorry for you that you failed when you shouldnt of. I know how nervous i was before my test and the relief i had when i passed it.

All i can say to you is to apply again straight away. Go to SGS again, waiting list there isnt that long. Your still better off with going to SGS than RSA thats for sure. If you come to that situation again with the pedestrian crossing with the island in the middle, your better off just waiting for the pedestrian to cross, better safe than sorry!

Good Luck!

Luck of the draw I guess-did you get away with anything you knew was wrong?

I got to wear sunglasses since it was really sunny out. It was hard for her to see if I was checking my mirrors or not. I also did it in an automatic which made it a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Went to the one in Eastway, was few minutes late much to the annoyance of my driving instructor. The tester was fine with it though, was chatting away to him through the whole test!! And said congrats you passed, and i just said cheers mate!! Was well chuffed.

SGS is the best, plus my sis who aint the best driver passed at Southill branch, so she must have done something right?!

I got to wear sunglasses since it was really sunny out. It was hard for her to see if I was checking my mirrors or not. I also did it in an automatic which made it a lot easier.
    doesnt that legally mean u can only drive an automatic??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

doesnt that legally mean u can only drive an automatic??

Yes if you pass your test in an automatic then your full license only allows you to drive an automatic car legally. If you pass your test driving a manual then legally you can drive both a manual or automatic car.

what i thought.

helios, what u driving???

what i thought.

helios, what u driving???

A semi-automatic...no seriously. It's an automatic but I can gear it into manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

A semi-automatic...no seriously. It's an automatic but I can gear it into manual.

It has no clutch, still determined as an automatic license.

Jumpy wrote: »
    It has no clutch, still determined as an automatic license.

I would never try to pass it off as a manual, but I get the option of both even though my licence is for an automatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Musha wrote: »

+1

I "failed" in Limerick - yer man ticked about 5 boxes and claimed I failed - ignorant, smalltime cnut couldn't look me in the eye though........

Sailed through in Shannon; yer man was a pure professional and the two tests couldn't have been more different.

Advertisement