Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sub 3 or bust!

Options
  • 25-11-2008 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭

26 October 2009 - That's the date of the 2009 Dublin city marathon which I'm aiming for.
    Its a big ask considering my base level of fitness is pretty low, but motivation is high.

I intend initially on starting off using the Novice Supreme Training programme as the initial weeks look pretty much about my current level.
    As fitness improves i hope to move up the intensity until I'm training using the Advanced - II programme.

Probably as fitness and knowledge improves with time this will be tweaked to suit my needs but its a sensible starting point I think.

Starting stats :-

Weight 177lb - aiming to lower that to around 145 probably (student days weight)
    5Km jog - 26 Minutes.
    Male, age 37¾

The journey begins tomorrow.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Welcome to the logs Supercell. I laughed out loud when I saw you had started a log, not out of disrespect, but because you started your log on the same day when you posted questions on the marathon forum about how to go from 26 mins for 5k to sub3 for the marathon in a year! You've got cojones, I'll give you that, so the best of luck in your attempt.

You'll get better advice from more advanced people than me, (and some of the posters here are a great help), but in general, start your base milage/fitness levels slowly, and steadily. "Advanced Marathoning" is a great book, you'll find it invaluable. There's lots of good running clubs in Wicklow, but if you want to just join a group of runners, look into www.imra.ie , they have lots of great mountain races in the Wicklow hills starting again in Jan.

You've set your sub 3 goal, now be focused over the next year, good luck, and go get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

All the best with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

yeah good luck, be sensible, stay injury free and you are half way there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi supercell ive read your thread in the main forum but i didnt post. i actually targetted sub 3 in my first marathon , i never told anyone but in my head i wanted sub 3....now 3 marathons in im still trying
    in fairness my first in connemara which is a tough marathon i finished 10th in 3:09 . then 3:06 in cork and 3:00:04 in dublin i still feel sick over those 4 seconds

anyway my point is and i think its been covered quite well in your question thread ...its a good goal to have and is acheiveable but maybe not in your first marathon as its a very steep learning curve

but you could be someone who with some running under your belt does sub 3 in a training run or you could never acheive it, thats the beauty of the dream we dont know if its possible till we try.
    anyway best of luck i will be keeping an eye on your progress

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

You've mentioned it already on the other thread, but planning out a series of interim targets would be a good idea. Focus on base training from now until the other side of Christmas, then do a 5mile/10k length race in January to get a true idea of where you stand in terms of speed, and how much work you need to do.

In terms of interim targets you should really be looking to break a 90 minute half marathon by mid/late Spring, and then get a 85 minute half marathon your belt during the summer.

Good to see another sub-3 attemptee here, although I think you're the only one trying it on your first with little race experience.

You've set yourself a monumental task, that's for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

the mile5:39
    3000m(3k)10:56
    3200m(about 2 miles)11:42
    5000m(5k)18:47
    5 miles31:06
    10,000m(10k)39:10
    ten miles1:04:51
    a half marathon1:26:20
    a marathon3:00:0 :)

Best of luck on the journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

MCOS wrote: »

Lovely stuff, targets to equal and then beat, I like it!

Just back from the first days run.
    Did the 5km jog this time pushing a bit harder, did it in 24 minutes dead, probably could knock maybe a minute off that if I really tried hard but would probably injure myself in the process , knees felt slightly tender near the end.
    Tomorrow is an easy 2.5k so should recover nicely before the next longer run.

Onwards and upwards!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I like them targets too....Don't see why i can't get most of them... To be honest I though that to do a sub 3 marathon you would need to be in the 29 zone for 5 miles and close to 60 mins for 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

IMHO these times will equate to a 3.10 marathon, but maybe that's just poor endurance me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

IMHO these times will equate to a 3.10 marathon, but maybe that's just poor endurance me.

Best of luck Supercell in your goal.

But I'd doubt you'd go sub 3 if your best is equal to the times listed for 5 miles and other distances up. Equalling the first 4 would see me through, though I haven;t tried to PB those distances this year, and I'm no speed merchant.

• Advertisement

True, they may be a minute or so slower per target. The point is you need to be at a minimum of these paces to look at sub 3. And so what? If he achieves 3'10 thats still fantastic:D!

Just for reference these splits were given to me by a friend who did 2'53' and as far as I know she did about a 31' 5 mile, 38' 10k and an 85' half marathon on her way. That said she has amazing endurance built over the years.

Just for reference these splits were given to me by a friend who did 2'53' and as far as I know she did about a 31' 5 mile, 38' 10k and an 85' half marathon on her way. That said she has amazing endurance built over the years.

Fair enough, you can't argue with hard data.... But I would imagine she is one of the few people who have much greater endurance in relation to her speed. I know someone like this also, a 83 min half this year and a 2.48 marathon, but for the very vast majority of runners I know, their graph is in the opposite direction, their shorter distances might put them at 2.45 for a marathon, but they run 3 hours.

Your friend is doubling her half marathon time and adding 3 mins, the person I know doubles and adds 2, but for most people I would put it at double and add 10-15mins. Even Haile with a 58min half mara pb doubles and adds nearly 8...

The benchmarks above will certainly be good for the OP to tick off on the way to sub 3, but I was doing these when I was somewhere between 3.15 and 3.06. Again IMHO, if I was coaching an athlete to sub 3 I'd be more confident about his chances if he could get under 18 for 5k, under 38 for 10k, around 62mins or better for 10miles and 83 or so for a half. I do know fellows who've done it off a 65min 10 mile and an 85min half, but I'd be happier with a bit of breathing space.

If he achieves 3'10 thats still fantastic:D!

Not if he wants to run sub 3! Ask Peckham or Sungod if they are delighted with 3.00.00 and 3.00.04!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Not if he wants to run sub 3! Ask Peckham or Sungod if they are delighted with 3.00.00 and 3.00.04!

:D Still haunts me everyday. Am hoping that the queasy feeling I get in my stomach everyday when walking past where the finish line was in Merrion Square will disappear soon! Roll on Berlin! ;)
    if I was coaching an athlete to sub 3 I'd be more confident about his chances if he could get under 18 for 5k, under 38 for 10k, around 62mins or better for 10miles and 83 or so for a half

Incidentally, I haven't achieved any of these times. Mind you, except for the half, it's been a while since I've raced any of those distances.

Given the title of the thread, I would expect the OP would not (at this stage) be happy with 3:10.

Fair enough, you can't argue with hard data.... But I would imagine she is one of the few people who have much greater endurance in relation to her speed. I know someone like this also, a 83 min half this year and a 2.48 marathon, but for the very vast majority of runners I know, their graph is in the opposite direction, their shorter distances might put them at 2.45 for a marathon, but they run 3 hours.

Your friend is doubling her half marathon time and adding 3 mins, the person I know doubles and adds 2, but for most people I would put it at double and add 10-15mins. Even Haile with a 58min half mara pb doubles and adds nearly 8...

The benchmarks above will certainly be good for the OP to tick off on the way to sub 3, but I was doing these when I was somewhere between 3.15 and 3.06. Again IMHO, if I was coaching an athlete to sub 3 I'd be more confident about his chances if he could get under 18 for 5k, under 38 for 10k, around 62mins or better for 10miles and 83 or so for a half. I do know fellows who've done it off a 65min 10 mile and an 85min half, but I'd be happier with a bit of breathing space.

That sounds bang on to me,

Lol, that's exactly right!
    I'll probably know by late spring what my final time is likely to be, as long as i don't loose the plot during the race and do myself justice then I'll be happy with whatever i achieve ..until next time when I better it!
    It's extremely useful to have split times like this to aim for and then hopefully beat. Give me concrete short term goals which works well for me (short span of attention and all that).
    I think if i did a 3:00:04 I'd just lie to everyone and tell them I did 2:59:59 , but inside I'd be hurting bad!!

Supercell wrote: »
    Lol, that's exactly right!
    I'll probably know by late spring what my final time is likely to be, as long as i don't loose the plot during the race and do myself justice then I'll be happy with whatever i achieve ..until next time when I better it!
    It's extremely useful to have split times like this to aim for and then hopefully beat. Give me concrete short term goals which works well for me (short span of attention and all that).
    I think if i did a 3:00:04 I'd just lie to everyone and tell them I did 2:59:59 , but inside I'd be hurting bad!!

A nice lie, It would be great until your mates look up your chip time when the results come out ;)

Did three kilometres today which felt pretty easy but left knee was a little sore near the end. It feels fine walking on it so hopefully nothing major. The trail i was running on was very muddy and slippery so I think the lateral movement was tougher on the knee than a dry trail would be.
    Probably just as well tomorrow is a rest day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Yeah I'd agree, the 5km, 10km and half marathon are closer to 3:30 runner than 3:00

tunney wrote: »
    Yeah I'd agree, the 5km, 10km and half marathon are closer to 3:30 runner than 3:00

Sigh... eh I don't think so.

Ask any of the 3'30 runners in this Forum if they have hit those 5k, 10k or 1/2M times. Here are a few... I certainly haven't

Sub 3:30
    ClashCityRocker
    3'19'59"
    Ciaran15
    3'20'00"
    early evening
    3'24"00
    shellada1
    3'25'00"
    MCOS
    3'29'00"
    ugly john
    3'29'59"
    tdow
    3'29'59"
    Krusty Clown
    3'29'59"
    nortal
    3'30'00"

Perhaps the 3 hour guys, RF, SUNGOD, Peckham et al may have achieved all of those benchmarks with a bit to spare... but thats the point of those targets. They are not specific racing PB targets, just pace targets for a Marathon. Why would Runners World use such a calculator if it was so off?! Its not an exact science, just a checklist while you build endurance to give you confidence in your progress!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Sigh... eh I don't think so.

Ask any of the 3'30 runners in this Forum if they have hit those 5k, 10k or 1/2M times. Here are a few... I certainly haven't

Sub 3:30
    ClashCityRocker
    3'19'59"
    Ciaran15
    3'20'00"
    early evening
    3'24"00
    shellada1
    3'25'00"
    MCOS
    3'29'00"
    ugly john
    3'29'59"
    tdow
    3'29'59"
    Krusty Clown
    3'29'59"
    nortal
    3'30'00"

Perhaps the 3 hour guys, RF, SUNGOD, Peckham et al may have achieved all of those benchmarks with a bit to spare... but thats the point of those targets. They are not specific racing PB targets, just pace targets for a Marathon. Why would Runners World use such a calculator if it was so off?! Its not an exact science, just a checklist while you build endurance to give you confidence in your progress!

Hunnymonster, can you split this as i don't want to hijack the lads training diary.

The problem with calculators is the extremes. I don't think the formulae work well on the <3k or >30k distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Peckham wrote: »
    :D Still haunts me everyday. Am hoping that the queasy feeling I get in my stomach everyday when walking past where the finish line was in Merrion Square will disappear soon! Roll on Berlin! ;)

QUOTE]

i initially thought that feeling was food poisioning untill i realised what it really was
    i just call mine the 4 second feeling!!!!!!

5km done this morning in beautiful blazing sunshine. Everywhere was frozen white, beautiful day to be out in the hills :)
    Time was 24:28 and I have slight cramping in both legs which is nice in a masochistic way!
    I guess the feed of drink I had last couple of nights isn't conducive to effective running..that's going to have to be drastically cut in future i reckon!
    In other news got myself a Forerunner 405 with HRM which is pretty cool, will be watching how my heart rate changes over time during training using that.

Just back in from my morning run. Set a new best time of 22:41 which I'm pretty happy with.
    Roads are a total disaster around here, showers yesterday left them wet which froze overnight. Had to take it easy in many spots as I skated more than ran accross the surface! All of which means this mornings PB should be beaten this week :)
    Beautiful running on a frosty morning but man does that cold air cut into the lungs at first!

22:31 in lashing rain. Didn't really want to go out but the day i don't is the I quit so had to do it. Have to admit, I don't really like running in lashing rain. But feels great afterwards to have done it, onwards and upwards!
    Interestingly my heart rate didn't spike anywhere near as high as previously -173 compared to 192 at peak, though effort expended felt the same at least, maybe the cooling effect of the rain had something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great running Supercell. Just a quick aside: Is that your Anamoe website you mention in your footer? I have referenced it a few times before when heading out on the Wicklow Way around Djouce and Roundwood etc. Very handy!

Great running Supercell. Just a quick aside: Is that your Anamoe website you mention in your footer? I have referenced it a few times before when heading out on the Wicklow Way around Djouce and Roundwood etc. Very handy!

Thanks, tis indeed my little site :)

Did a 12K cycle this morning , very pleasantly surprised to notice that my strength pushing up hills seems to have come on leaps and bounds since i started jogging, felt easy.
    Went for the usual 5k jog later and did a PB 22:15.
    Next week am going to add a couple of K to the run twice and see how that goes. Feeling pretty comfortable now on the 5k.
    First time also that I didnt have the slightest twinge from my knees, seems like they are strengthening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Sounds like training is going well for you. Keep up the good work, don't forget about that sub-3 goal!

• Advertisement

cfitz wrote: »
    Sounds like training is going well for you. Keep up the good work, don't forget about that sub-3 goal!

Thanks cfitz, that goal is never far away from my mind!

The training continues to go well. Did my weekly "long" run today which was 9.62km according to the Garmin around Vartry lakes which was horribly muddy and had to jump over fallen trees and duck under others in places, but i did enjoy it hugely..well at least the first 8km or so!!
    Have a couple of small blisters and legs a bit sore (just muscle soreness, knees are grand, knee pain I had first couple of weeks seems to be almost completely gone now) but totally delighted to have done it. This would have been impossible for me to do even two weeks ago and the sense of accomplishment is massive. The time, 56min, of course will need to improve , but the main aim is to build up to being able to keep moving for ...3hours solid. I earned a chocolate bar today :)
    Have also lost 7lbs in the last three weeks which is pretty nice too have to say..hope that keeps up, not like I cannot afford to loose more than a few pounds:)

Onwards and upwards!

Advertisement