Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHAT CONVINCED YOU?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Well if I didn't really believe he exists then I wouldn’t Honestly believe he exists would I?
    Pascal's wager is not based on "the idea that God rewards believers and punishes non-believers". Rather it is based on the wager of the belief in the "Existence or non Existence" of God, not on the consequences for believing either/or. If the consequences for believing either/or are either eternal bliss or eternal torment, then that is up to the person who wagers either/or.

Oh no, you're not still banging on about Pascal's absurd wager despite it being utterly discredited on page one of the thread?

I notice you still haven't taken up my challenge from back then. Belief in god is not a matter of choice (although I accept that belief in the christian god as opposed to some other deity might be). So... if we are able to simply choose whether or not to believe in god, why don't you choose not to believe in him for a while and let us know how you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Dades wrote: »
    That's too personal for my liking. Careful now.

Agreed, apologies. Momentary lapse of judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Why not?

Because it isn't an explanation (as it is said so often, it is merely an excuse to stop asking any questions). It doesn't explain anything.

It is as useful as saying "Bob did it". The next question to "Bob did it" is "Ok, what is Bob, what did he do and how did he do it?". To which there is obviously no actual answer. Saying "Bob is the thing that did that" doesn't provide any additional information or understanding, it is simply a feedback loop (just like saying God is the creator of the universe provides no additional information). I can't tell you what Bob did, nor how he did it.

It is the same with "God did it".

Though for some reason most religious people some how find "God did it" satisfactory. "Oh God did it, now I understand!"

I wonder would they find "Bob did it" equally satisfactory.

Anytime you want to insert "God did it" insert "Bob did it" first and see if that is equally satisfactory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

toomevara wrote: »
    Oh dear, quite chippy. The OP (your good self, I believe) asks, and I quote, "What convinced you ". My response was merely an attempt to respond to your question, which I had, erroneously, it appears, assumed was asked in a spirit of genuine enquiry/debate and not as an attempt to provide a launchboard to browbeat and harangue. Thats my answer, freely and fairly given, take it or leave it....I pretend to no higher spiritual or esoteric knowledge...merely a personal response to a personal question...sorry if it offends you, but then, I find thats the default setting for most of you God-freaks, is it not?

You're right. Sorry :(

pH wrote: »
    Well it seems to me that it would require logic and rationality in the diagnosis and treatment of patients, coupled with empathy, kindness and understanding, none of which you've displayed to any great extent in your posts here, so I guess the question is: could you get a job there?

Quite possibly not. Could you?

• Advertisement

DinoBot wrote: »
    People who try to explain their religion by science are building their houses on sand because the main difference with religion and science is that science will change and adapt to whats true.
    The big bang theory is slowly being broken down. This is an article from back in 2004 but its theory is gaining more ground now as evidance is coming in. Science is now telling us that our universe did not coming from a single point at a "beginning" but was in fact caused from another universe.
    "Cosmologists Paul Steinhardt and Neil Turok have a radical idea that could wipe away these mysteries. They theorize that the cosmos was never compacted into a single point and did not spring forth in a violent instant. Instead, the universe as we know it is a small cross section of a much grander universe whose true magnitude is hidden in dimensions we cannot perceive."
    Purely speculative and theoretical. As un-falsifiable by the scientific method as proving God exists by that same method.

In any case, logic alone dictates that the universe is not eternal in the past. If it were then an infinite number of events precede our present therefore making it impossible for us to ever come to our present. But we are in our present thus axiomatically proving that there was a beginning point in the finite past, even if what Steinhardt and Turok theorise is correct. The “Branes” (should they be proving to exist) still leave us with the question: “Where did the “Branes” come from? Was there a first “Brane”? We cannot go on to infinity because if we do then we can never come to our present, but as already said, we are in our present. That at least is self evident which means that there was a beginning at some point, if not the Big Bang then somewhere else.

The most reliable models including the Standard Model and General Relativity still up hold the Big Bang theory as being the best explanation for what we can actually observe with our "puny" senses. So the question still remains. How can everything -Time, Space, Matter and Energy- come from nothing and by nothing with all its fine tuning that permits life as we know it to come about and to be maintained as we observe it to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MrFitt

You can take your pick from any of the 2500 god's man has created.
    The idea of there being an all powerful being is man made, religion is man made and used as a tool to control 'mankind'. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it simply changes from one form to another. We are all worm food in the end, even if we decide to get cremated!

That's my pennies worth..It is at the end of the day down to each individual to decide and it is his or her right to believe or not.

Time will tell who is right and who is wrong......

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    You're applying the laws of our universe to something that is outside these laws, the creation of our universe. We have no idea how matter acts outside our universe and we can't even begin to guess how it does. So any speculation on before the universe is completely unfounded.
    Hey I agree. That also holds true for whether there is a creator or not. Because if there is one, then He/She/It must exist external to the universe He/She/It created in an eternal state hence not having a begining and not having a cause. And if there really is no creator/designer of the universe then how the frick can we ever know for sure how and when it came into being with our 'puny' (as Steinhardt and Turok describe them) senses if 'puny' is what they really are?
    Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Also what scientists "maintain that our universe is eternal"?
    DinoBot posted an example of two such scientists in the post immediately prior to yours. "...they say the Big Bang is just the latest in a cycle of cosmic collisions stretching infinitely into the past and into the future." Full article here!

Wicknight wrote: »
    Because it isn't an explanation (as it is said so often, it is merely an excuse to stop asking any questions). It doesn't explain anything.
    I think it explains things quite well. If I go into the bakers and ask the girl behind the counter how did all the cakes get in the display window and she tells me that the baker in the back made them early this morning and then put them where I can see them, then that would be a good enough explanation to me, because it intuitively makes sense. The cakes are there, that is obvious. But how? Is not so obvious. Someone made them and put them there. Who? The baker who works in the shop. All these things make sense to me. I do not need to know who the baker is, where he lives, what his date of birth is, what are his favourite cakes and so on infinitum to have a good explanation as to how the cakes came to be in the display window. The girl's simple explanation makes perfect sense to me and I can leave the shop cake in-hand confident in the my knowledge from the explanation given of how the cakes got there. But if somebody outside the shop has a better explanation then I'm all ears but until I hear one I shall go with the girl's explanation, simple and all that it is.
    It is as useful as saying "Bob did it". The next question to "Bob did it" is "Ok, what is Bob, what did he do and how did he do it?". To which there is obviously no actual answer. Saying "Bob is the thing that did that" doesn't provide any additional information or understanding, it is simply a feedback loop (just like saying God is the creator of the universe provides no additional information). I can't tell you what Bob did, nor how he did it.
    It is the same with "God did it".

Wrong. You do not need to have any kind of explanation for the explanation in order for that explantion to be a good explantion. You do not need to comprehend God in order to understand that God created the universe. You are Wicknight and I know you posted what I am replying to but I don't need to know anything else about you in order to understand that the explanation that your post was posted because you posted it is the right explantion.
    Though for some reason most religious people some how find "God did it" satisfactory. "Oh God did it, now I understand!"

For many that is all they need. What else do they need? They are entitled to have this most basic of beliefs without having to explain it, just like you are entitled to believe that that you exist without having to explain it either. The only time you can challenge their belief is when you have incontrovertible proof that they are wrong to believe it.
    I wonder would they find "Bob did it" equally satisfactory.

Unless one of God's names is Bob then maybe they might. :D
    Anytime you want to insert "God did it" insert "Bob did it" first and see if that is equally satisfactory.

If we define Bob as the greatest conceivable being as we do God then it would be quite logical to deduce that Bob did it. Just because a belief is simple and an explanation is simple does not make it invalid. That God did it, is a good explanation, just like some believe that the universe is eternal is a good explanation. Both explanations are as simple as each other and don't need an explanation of themselves in order that they be the explanation of how the universe came into being. How they came into being themselves does nothing to make the explanation -they did it- any less valid.

rockbeer wrote: »
    Belief in god is not a matter of choice (although I accept that belief in the christian god as opposed to some other deity might be).
    So belief in God is not a choice, but to choose from a variety of Gods is a choice? :confused:

I choose to believe that God is a good explanation as to how the universe came into being. The scripture says that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God, so if this is correct then my faith came about by hearing the Word of God. The question then remains, did I choose to hear the Word of God? And the answer to that is Yes as far as I know. So indirectly I chose to believe in God. But if Paul's letter to the Ephesians is correct then God chose me before He even created the universe. How? I don't know. If we gel this doctrine of predestination with Jesus' words that "No man comes to the father save the spirit draws him" then the point at which I came to believe is a preordained event to which I did not chose. But I am free to turn from this path put before me at any time and live a life according to my own will, but that would be spiritual suicide for me and I am not willing to commit to that. But I will admit that there are times when I find myself in states of doubt and rebellion, not wanting this path for me and even doubting God’s existence, but these states can be overcome by prayer, devotion to ministry service, reading and listening to others who have also found themselves in like states and how they dealt with them.
    rockbeer wrote: »
    So... if we are able to simply choose whether or not to believe in god, why don't you choose not to believe in him for a while and let us know how you get on?
    I inadvertently answer this already above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

MrFitt wrote: »
    You can take your pick from any of the 2500 god's man has created.
    The idea of there being an all powerful being is man made, religion is man made and used as a tool to control 'mankind'. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it simply changes from one form to another. We are all worm food in the end, even if we decide to get cremated!
    Most cliched opinion ...evar. Seriously though, it's exactly this type of statement that shows how people become set in their ways without even considering the opposing arguments.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Strangely enough, isn't that what all atheists believe? :confused:

Is that what makes it clichéd?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I think it explains things quite well. If I go into the bakers and ask the girl behind the counter how did all the cakes get in the display window and she tells me that the baker in the back made them early this morning and then put them where I can see them, then that would be a good enough explanation to me, because it intuitively makes sense. The cakes are there, that is obvious. But how? Is not so obvious. Someone made them and put them there. Who? The baker who works in the shop. All these things make sense to me. I do not need to know who the baker is, where he lives, what his date of birth is, what are his favourite cakes and so on infinitum to have a good explanation as to how the cakes came to be in the display window. The girl's simple explanation makes perfect sense to me and I can leave the shop cake in-hand confident in the my knowledge from the explanation given of how the cakes got there. But if somebody outside the shop has a better explanation then I'm all ears but until I hear one I shall go with the girl's explanation, simple and all that it is.

That explanation assumes that the receiver knows what baking is. I assume you like me understand the processes involved in baking a bun from cultivating the ingredients through processing right up to the baker physically lifting the buns into the shop window. Can you explain how god created matter, space, time and life? For any explanation requires understanding what's behind the explanation otherwise it explains nothing.

I just thought of a good analogy to better explain what I mean. Assume we can time travel and we go back in time and select a jury for a murder trial from the turn of the last century. Bring them forward to today and have them sit in on a modern murder trial. During the trial the jury will hear how the accused was seen in London at 12 noon, committed a murder in Dublin at 4pm and was back in London for dinner a 8pm the same day. Nobody witnessed it but there is CCTV footage and DNA evidence on the murder weapon.

Now you and I can surmise that he simply took a plane and we understand what DNA and CCTV is. But try explaining how the accused could possibly be guilty to the jury from last century without first explaining what a jet aircraft, DNA and CCTV is. Because until you do that you cannot explain anything, you'll end up having to say something like 'He just did believe me' which is not really helpful.

For similar reasons saying 'god did it' without understanding the nature of god and the process by which he carried it out, it is not really an explanation of anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

So belief in God is not a choice, but to choose from a variety of Gods is a choice? :confused

To try and clarify this - if one believes in a supernatural deity, it is not a great leap to decide to change the particular supernatural being one believes in. Do you follow? So Fred believes in deity X. Then someone comes along and convinces Fred that deity Y is better in some way. Fred can change his belief to Deity Y without it turning his world upside down because he already accepts the existence of a supernatural deity.

Please understand that I'm not saying there aren't elements of choice in belief. Of course there are, but to change form unbelief to belief or vice versa is likely to be the result of some combination or sequence of events that fundamentally alter a person's world view. Pascal's wager ridiculously reduces this to a simple decision to believe, which in my view is impossible.
    I choose to believe that God is a good explanation as to how the universe came into being.

The real question surely is not whether or not it's a good explanation but whether it's a true explanation.
    I am free to turn from this path put before me at any time and live a life according to my own will, but that would be spiritual suicide for me and I am not willing to commit to that. But I will admit that there are times when I find myself in states of doubt and rebellion, not wanting this path for me and even doubting God’s existence, but these states can be overcome by prayer, devotion to ministry service, reading and listening to others who have also found themselves in like states and how they dealt with them.

That's all well and good, but reading between the lines it seems that you're saying you could choose not to believe but will not. Is that right?

But just imagine for a moment that you did so choose... How exactly would that work? You are convinced god exists. I don't see how can you just turn that conviction on and off like a tap. What would happen in your brain to enable you to have such a complete change of certainty?

For me, to simply choose to believe in a supernatural deity is as unthinkable as I suspect it would be for you to simply choose not to believe in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

If I go into the bakers and ask the girl behind the counter how did all the cakes get in the display window and she tells me that the baker in the back made them early this morning and then put them where I can see them, then that would be a good enough explanation to me, because it intuitively makes sense.

Yes, but that is because you know what baking is, and you know what bread is, and you know how someone puts something in a shop window, and you know what a shop window is etc etc

If you didn't know any of these things someone telling you "the baker did that" (they wouldn't even say the baker because that in itself infers information about the process) that doesn't explain anything.

The explanation from "The Baker did it" comes from the fact that you understand what baking is. If you didn't then being told the baker did it would mean nothing to you. It would not explain anything.

Say you look up at the moon and wonder "How did that get there" and I said "Jim did that" does that increase your understanding? Not in the slightest, because it doesn't explain how Jim did it or what he did.

If you can explain what God actually did in technical terms (not "he spoke" which is either a metaphor or very silly) or even how a god would go about creating the universe if one were so inclined, I'm all ears.
    I do not need to know who the baker is, where he lives, what his date of birth is, what are his favourite cakes and so on infinitum to have a good explanation as to how the cakes came to be in the display window.

You don't need to know anything about the baker because you already understand the process of baking You know a baker takes flour and ingredients, mixes and then bakes in an oven. The fact that it is a baker infers this process for making a cake. That is exactly the point. By simply knowing it was "a baker" you know almost exactly how the cakes were produced.

And that is exactly what you don't have with the explanation "God did it" for the universe. You don't have the process of which a god produces a universe, so the assertion that a god produced the universe tells us nothing because that is an unknown process.

Imagine that instead of being told that a baker make the cakes you were told "Bob did it". Your first question would be "How? And why?" because "Bob did it" doesn't tell you anything about how or why the cakes were made because you don't know who Bob is or how he would produce cakes. Did he bake them, did he buy them, did he make them out of cardboard to look like real cakes etc etc.
    Wrong. You do not need to have any kind of explanation for the explanation in order for that explantion to be a good explantion.

I know you don't because you are not seeking understanding, you are simply seeking a confirmation that God exists, a place where you can slot your god in, a god of the gaps as it where.

It would be the same as simply being happy to know there is a Bob some where in the world, independent of any desire to understand how, why, or even if, he produced the cakes.

Understanding the cakes is irrelevant to this, just as understanding the universe is irrelevant to you. You don't want to understand the universe, to explain the universe, you simply want some where to hang your god. Saying "God did it" doesn't increase understanding of the universe in anyway, any more than saying "Bob did it" increases understanding of how the cakes got in the window.

And more importantly because you still know nothing about the cakes, you have no method of determining if Bob actually did make the cakes or not, just as with attempt to determine what God is supposed to have done there is no way to determine if God actually did create the universe. But then you probably don't care. That isn't the point to you.

So at the end of the day it comes down to priories. Do you want to know how the cakes got there or are you happy to simply know Bob may or may not have done something, irrespective of what he did.
    You do not need to comprehend God in order to understand that God created the universe.
    Correct, you need to understand the process(es) a god would create a universe by, in the same way you need to understand the process Bob would use to create the cakes.

You don't need to know much about Bob to know this, Bob's second name or birth day are irrelevant. But you need to know how he is supposed to have actually made the cakes. Is he a baker, is he supposed to have baked the cakes? Is he a deli every man, is he supposed to have delivered the cakes.

You need this to understand a) how the cakes actually got there and b) to determine if Bob is responsible or not. If Bob is supposed to have baked the cakes and it turns out that the cakes were machine made, then Bob obviously didn't bake them.

The same applies for God. You don't need to fully comprehend God but you certainly need to know what he is actually supposed to have done to create the universe. Without that you have nothing, no understanding, no knowledge, you can't even tell if he actually did or did not create the universe.
    You are Wicknight and I know you posted what I am replying to but I don't need to know anything else about you in order to understand that the explanation that your post was posted because you posted it is the right explantion.
    Yes because you understand how I posted this post. You know I have access to a computer, you understand that Boards.ie is an internet bullettin board, you understand how a person goes about posting on it.

Imagine you were explaining how Wicknight produced a post on here to someone from the 4th century (or simply someone who didn't know the process you use to post on the internet)

If they asked "How did that happen?" and you said "Wicknight did it" do you think that provides an explanation to them? Of course not, because they have no idea what Wicknight is supposed to have done. They still don't have a clue how it happened, and they certainly can't determine if Wicknight actually did do it or not.
    For many that is all they need. What else do they need?
    Again it depends on what they want. If they want actual understanding then they need a lot more than that. If they simply want some where to hang their god in a gap then this is perfect.

Again it is the difference between wanting to know how the cakes got in the window and simply wanting something that you can say Bob did, without any understanding of the cakes.
    They are entitled to have this most basic of beliefs without having to explain it, just like you are entitled to believe that that you exist without having to explain it either. The only time you can challenge their belief is when you have incontrovertible proof that they are wrong to believe it.

I swear if someone mentions "proof" again I'm going to scream. SW you really should know better.
    Unless one of God's names is Bob then maybe they might. :D
    Yes but that is the point. "Bob", "God", "Jim", "Joe" ... it doesn't matter. None of those "explanations" actually explain anything.

You throw away Bob Jim and Joe not because they are any less of a explanation, but because you are not trying to find a gap for Bob, Jim or Joe.
    If we define Bob as the greatest conceivable being as we do God then it would be quite logical to deduce that Bob did it.

Why? Can only the greatest conceivable being produce a universe? How do you know that?

Here you are simply introducing nonsense assumptions. Only someone named Bob can create a universe, someone named Jim can't. Again doesn't mean anything, its nonsense.

You have no reason to assume it, you can't demonstrate that you certainly can't test it. I could just as easily say both the greatest conceivable being and the 2nd greatest conceivable being can produce universes. There is no response to that, it is nonsense. We are just making stuff up.

Heck I could say the 2nd greatest being produces the 1st greatest being, so if God is the first being to exist then he is the 2nd greatest and produced something greater than him. If he is the greatest then he wasn't the first.

You may say that doesn't work, how can the 2nd greatest go on to produce the 1st greatest, but we are talking about completely assumed supernatural nonsense here. You have no rules, no model of how things are or are not supposed to work. You have no way to determine any of that, nor anyway to test it.

This is the difference between understand and not understand.

You don't understand how anything about how a deity is supposed to produce a universe so you can say nothing about the process, how it is or is not supposed to be. You can't say if a deity is actually needed to produce a universe.
    Just because a belief is simple and an explanation is simple does not make it invalid.
    It is nothing to do with being simple. I love simple explanations. This is neither simple or complicated, it simply isn't an explanation either way.

It explains nothing because it doesn't map back to anything. "The baker did it" explains something because you know what a baker does.

God did it doesn't explain anything because you don't know what a god is supposed to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭mickeydevine

Coincidentily it was in biology class in secondary school. It was in the news about Girl X, good few years ago now. She had been raped and was pregnant with the rapists baby and the church in Ireland was stopping her from going to England for an abortion. The vice principle (Priest, Catholic Seconday) came into class for a word with our teacher. I put up my hand and asked how the church could stop her when it was none of their business. He gave the usual "against the word of god" clap-trap and I was spitting feathers for the rest of the day. The same week a group were picketing outside my local hospital for the removal of vesectomy operations. I asked those picketing if a person was not catholic why should they have to travel for this voluntary procedure, again it was against the word of god. It seemed to me even with a young and still developing mind that 'My God' was a bit of a self righteous, discriminatory know it all punk. This has never changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Nothing convinced me. I had that luck to not being bombed by religious propaganda as a child. However I always found Old Testament stories very fascinating and wanted to know more about them. I was reading them instead of comics. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I was never made go to mass as a child so I just kind of figured it out when I was about 17 or so. I've always like science so I guess that helped. I think for some people it's fairly obvious, maybe depending on how you were raised and what you read, that sort of thing. I developed and refined my stance from lurking on this forum since I joined boards. I've never read The God Delusion and I don't intend to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Pascal's wager puts forth that the following: That between the possibility of whether there is or is not a God there is even odds. i.e. 1/1 for belief and 1/1 against belief. But it makes much better sense to believe in God than not. Why? Because if there is a God and you bet that there isn't then you lose everything. And if there is a God and you bet that there is then you gain everything. But if there isn't a God and you bet that there is then you lose nothing and if there isn't a God and you bet there isn't then you gain nothing. So logic dictates that one should believe in God. If I were an atheist, then this would grab me by the short and curlys.

Do you honestly think your God is that stupid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Do you honestly think your God is that stupid?
    So christians, as well as putting limits on their gods power, also think he is stupid.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

MrPudding wrote: »
    So christians, as well as putting limits on their gods power, also think he is stupid.

MrP

In fairness now. I'm assuming soul winner means that they choose to really believe and not just pay lip service...

Of course the 50/50 chance that there is/isn't a god is pure guess work.

Also that still leaves the question of which god...

By that logic there is a 50/50 chance of me winning the Tour de France. I either will or I won't, 50/50. :rolleyes:

Yes, probability for tards.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

sink wrote: »
    By that logic there is a 50/50 chance of me winning the Tour de France. I either will or I won't, 50/50. :rolleyes:

That's god enough for me *runs to the bookies*

toiletduck wrote: »
    That's god enough for me *runs to the bookies*
    Freudian slip?

MrP

sink wrote: »
    50/50 is just very diplomatic answer.

If we had evidences for existence of God we would say it's 75/25, if we had for non existence of God it would be 25/75.. But because we don't have evidences for anything (not even single one), we say 50/50.

In wining Tour de France your evidence is your health, your bike, knowledge of the sport so you can calculate your chances. 50/50 is really good score I'd say.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Freudian slip?

MrP

Well it could be, equally it could have been divine intervention. 50/50 chance.

WooPeeA wrote: »
    50/50 is just very diplomatic answer.

If we had evidences for existence of God we would say it's 75/25, if we had for non existence of God it would be 25/75.. But because we don't have evidences for anything (not even single one), we say 50/50.

In wining Tour de France your evidence is your health, your bike, knowledge of the sport so you can calculate your chances. 50/50 is really good score I'd say.. :P
    So there is a 50/50 chance of a teapot orbiting Pluto? There is a 50/50 chance that there are dragons living in the earths core? That must mean I have a 50/50 chance of winning the lottery, no? Surely either I will win it or I won't?

MrP

• Advertisement

So there is a 50/50 chance of a teapot orbiting Pluto? There is a 50/50 chance that there are dragons living in the earths core? That must mean I have a 50/50 chance of winning the lottery, no? Surely either I will win it or I won't?

MrP
    Nope, because we have evidences for above. Existence of dragons was negated by science (however depend on what "dragon" means to you).

Lotto is poor mathematic, and you can calculate your chances by simple mathematical calculations, etc...

But if we don't have ANY evidences for something it's still 50/50. You cannot make any of the yes or no side more rational having no evidences at all to prove it.

Advertisement