Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life as a "Dangerous Dog" owner

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

Fair enough. im not at all trying to stir it up or anything. We all wouldnt be here in the animal and pet issues section if we didnt care about our dogs/pets. Its good for us all to share ideas and help each other with advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sk1shot

I think a large amount of the negativity to these dogs is the young lads that hang around on street corners with them trying to look hard. A number of my friends own bull breeds and I have always found them very friendly dogs, but today I saw something that just sickened me. I came out of my house to find an old woman screaming while two pitbulls mauled her dog, one was latched onto its head while the other bit it's back. neadless too saw i bet the dogs off. I know it's not the dogs fault, I just think owners of such dogs should be put down if they can't control their dogs and make no attempt to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭elainepie

Hi all,
    As you are probably aware, Ireland has a Dangerous Dogs Act comprised of breeds such as Staffies, German Shepherds, Dobermanns etc.
    There has been much hysteria in the media regarding these breeds and many people perceive these dogs to be dangerous.

As an owner of a "dangerous" dog, how does this affect you day to day?
    Do you get nosy old battleaxes telling you "that dog is dangerous" or people stopping their children from petting your dog because "he's dangerous"?
    What breed do you have?

(PS If you allow your dog to tear around and run up to strangers and be a nuisance, this post doesn't apply to you. I don't care how many times you tell said strangers "he won't touch you" or wait til the dog nearly knocks them over before calling him back.)

i just got a lab/ akita cross. He is mostly lab though and is a big baby, saying that though, people are a bit wary of him. i just put it down to his size as he is quite big. he is kept on the lead in public and is training nicely but slowly to walk on heel and sit on commnd.. as mentioned on previous threads, it is very important to train the dog as when they get big they will be a nightmare. but i think all dogs should be trained - makes it nicer for everybody - the dog included!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 biancab

Hi I`m a new rottie owner she is only 5 months old but sometimes we don`t get the best reaction from other walkers, often dog walkers i might add. So far things are going well as regards training she`s good on the lead but i would never dream of letting her off it, i understand that not all people are dog lovers so if someone decides to cross the road so be it, I consider myself not the best when it comes to meeting other dogs off leash as i have no idea how they will react to us on a walk, I see this as irresponsible of the owner and unfair to the dogs. lately we met a doberman no lead no collar and when the owner finally appeared he said its ok he won`t do anything! how would i know that ?? Personally i don`t trust any dog 100%, big or small, including my own! My only hope is to meet responsible owners on our outings.:)
    Hi all,
    As you are probably aware, Ireland has a Dangerous Dogs Act comprised of breeds such as Staffies, German Shepherds, Dobermanns etc.
    There has been much hysteria in the media regarding these breeds and many people perceive these dogs to be dangerous.

As an owner of a "dangerous" dog, how does this affect you day to day?
    Do you get nosy old battleaxes telling you "that dog is dangerous" or people stopping their children from petting your dog because "he's dangerous"?
    What breed do you have?

(PS If you allow your dog to tear around and run up to strangers and be a nuisance, this post doesn't apply to you. I don't care how many times you tell said strangers "he won't touch you" or wait til the dog nearly knocks them over before calling him back.)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 biancab

ou were too right!Thats an awfull thing to witnes well done for interveening y
    sk1shot wrote: »
    I think a large amount of the negativity to these dogs is the young lads that hang around on street corners with them trying to look hard. A number of my friends own bull breeds and I have always found them very friendly dogs, but today I saw something that just sickened me. I came out of my house to find an old woman screaming while two pitbulls mauled her dog, one was latched onto its head while the other bit it's back. neadless too saw i bet the dogs off. I know it's not the dogs fault, I just think owners of such dogs should be put down if they can't control their dogs and make no attempt to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thread is almost 3 years old.Stop dragging up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement