Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enterprise Competition - €3000 prize fund to be won

Options
  • 22-11-2008 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Ed Burke Theatre - Wednesday 26th Nov - 5pm

The Trinity Entrepreneurial Society is pleased to announce the launch of the inaugural Ulster Bank Enterprise Competition. The competition is open to Trinity College students across all faculties with a prize fund of €3,000.

Students are encouraged to come up with an idea for a new business venture and write a short business plan of just 3 pages. The submission date for this will be in Friday, the 16th of January. The best plans will then be selected to progress into the next round, in which successful applicants will get the chance to pitch their ideas in a short presentation in front of a distinguished judging panel.

The overall winner of the Ulster Bank Enterprise Competition stands to win an exceptional prize of 2000 euro, and there will also be two additional prizes of 500 euro. Individuals or teams may apply (cross-faculty teams are encouraged). As well as prize money, students are awarded the prestigious title of winning the 'Ulster Bank Enterprise Competition' and could use the publicity gained as a platform to further their business plan and hopefully progress their idea to a reality.

The competition will be launched at 5pm on Wednesday the 26th of November in the Edmund Burke theatre (Arts Building). This will provide students with information on rules, judging criteria, submission dates and general advice.

TES believe that this event is one which has the potential to attract a huge interest across campus, and we want to encourage students from all disciplines to partake, be it health sciences, social sciences, engineering, etc. In order to achieve this we need you to forward this on to the students in your faculty to make them aware of this fantastic opportunity.

Just wondering if anybody here is in interested in this competition?

Comments

Well if you want people to be interested you might want to host the images you were looking to display somewhere else, or maybe changing the permissions so everyone can see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What is going on with this thread?

Anyway, is this ONLY open to Trinity students?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Bit of a fail tbh.

Myth would you mind editing the op's post to take out the image so that supid auth box will go away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 borninlesotho

Myth wrote: »
    Well if you want people to be interested you might want to host the images you were looking to display somewhere else, or maybe changing the permissions so everyone can see them.

Didn't realise this, it's just a logo that says Ulster Bank Enterprise Competition

cormie wrote: »
    What is going on with this thread?

Anyway, is this ONLY open to Trinity students?

Yeah it's only open to Trinity students...

If you're not in Trinity there's plenty of other competitions, in fact that's the reason I set it up because there was nothing for Trinity students yet every other college seems to have one.

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Bit of a fail tbh.

Myth would you mind editing the op's post to take out the image so that supid auth box will go away?

That seamus chap beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Yeah it's only open to Trinity students...

If you're not in Trinity there's plenty of other competitions, in fact that's the reason I set it up because there was nothing for Trinity students yet every other college seems to have one.

Bit of entrepreneurial intuition there you could say.

Sounds good anyway, a guy from the entrepreneurial society told us about this during Freshers' week. I might go to the info night, but probably won't enter because I have absolutely no ideas yet.

borninlesotho: Is this an annual thing or is it just a once off?

Mark200 wrote: »
    Bit of entrepreneurial intuition there you could say.

Sounds good anyway, a guy from the entrepreneurial society told us about this during Freshers' week. I might go to the info night, but probably won't enter because I have absolutely no ideas yet.

borninlesotho: Is this an annual thing or is it just a once off?

Thanks Mark,

Yeah we're trying to get this up and running as an annual event. It really depends on the interest this year. We're trying to promote it heavily to get let students across all faculties know about it.

Most people would associate this with just an event for business students, but there are plenty of people in medicine, computer science, even nursing with plenty of ideas.

What we will try and do is pair up people who have ideas (but don't want to speak in public or write a business plan) and people who have no ideas (but could deliver a good business plan and solid pitch).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

There is a (albeit needing an update) sticky for event-pimping like this, but since there seems to be reasonable interest I'll leave this thread be.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭conor052001

There is a (albeit needing an update) sticky for event-pimping like this, but since there seems to be reasonable interest I'll leave this thread be.

would you not just think that to yourself and move on, why bother replying?

op, sounds like a very good idea which will no doubt drum up a bit of interest... fair play....

• Advertisement

Because I'm a moderator on this board, and I was giving a very gentle warning.

Because I'm a moderator on this board, and I was giving a very gentle warning.

more like to boost up your posts count so you can brag to your mates about how cool a moderator you are

a warning. good one

*thumbs up*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Lol, have to agree with conor052001 here, hence the shameless thanks:pac:

/offtopic

damn where have all my good ideas gone?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 whiterug

That sounds like a brilliant idea!What kind of stuff should the business plan include cos I have a great idea but not so sure how it would look on paper?...

whiterug wrote: »
    That sounds like a brilliant idea!What kind of stuff should the business plan include cos I have a great idea but not so sure how it would look on paper?...

Whiterug, come along on Wednesday and we'll tell you what to include!

I've attached a poster

One entry per student?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

The reason why students from other colleges want to enter this very competition is that this is by far the easiest enterprise competition out there. I mean, for me, a student in DIT Bolton Street, I have to write at least 10 pages complete with financial projections and marketing strategy. Here, all you have to do is write 3 pages max.

To me, it just doesn't make sense. Trinity students seem to get the most academically able students in Ireland (or so they say :/), yet they get the easiest enterprise competition, which also encourages people from any faculty to enter.

Some of you people on this subforum should breeze through all this financial and marketing lark in your sleep.

Let's swap enterprise competitions ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sh!ts-at-21sts

was just thinking the same experiMental

sounds too good to be true, how many applicants are you expecting op?

One entry per student?

Yep, already have a friend who can't decide which idea he is entering.

@ experimental - it is the designed to be the easiest competition to enter, not necessarily easiest to win. We did this because it's our first year to run it and we don't know what the uptake will be. Also it's the only enterprise competition being run by a student society all the rest are run on a college level.

3 page business plan with the option for an appendix!

Also interesting that you bring up the fact that Trinity has the "most academically able" students, whether this is true or not, does that translate into producing the best/most entrepreneurs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Jesus an email about it too...

You guys are really pluggin' this thing are ye?

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Jesus an email about it too...

You guys are really pluggin' this thing are ye?

email from?

email from?

School of Engineering.

ok good stuff.

Engineering students do some kind of new venture thing anyway as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Also interesting that you bring up the fact that Trinity has the "most academically able" students, whether this is true or not, does that translate into producing the best/most entrepreneurs?

Now it's all beginning to make sense. Actually, congratulations for setting up an enterprise competition run by the students themselves, and supported by a major financial institution. :D

Academic ability does not really translate into enterprise generation too well. Think of Alan Sugar or Richard Branson, who didn't do too well at school. Enterprise is sometimes about having a huge amount of contacts or even lying and cheating, something that some Trinity students might not have or lack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

more like to boost up your posts count so you can brag to your mates about how cool a moderator you are

a warning. good one

Conor052001,

The mods here perform a very useful and necessary service from the goodness of their hearts. They deserve at the very least to be treated with respect. If you have an issue with a mods post pm them or take it to feedback or the helpdesk, here is not the place.

Show the mods some respect or you'll be gone.

Awayindahils

The reason why students from other colleges want to enter this very competition is that this is by far the easiest enterprise competition out there. I mean, for me, a student in DIT Bolton Street, I have to write at least 10 pages complete with financial projections and marketing strategy. Here, all you have to do is write 3 pages max.

It doesn't change the fact that you're up against other people, and surely when you're being asked questions it will cover a lot more than what's on the 3 pages.
    Conor052001,

The mods here perform a very useful and necessary service from the goodness of their hearts. They deserve at the very least to be treated with respect. If you have an issue with a mods post pm them or take it to feedback or the helpdesk, here is not the place.

Awayindahils

No offence or anything but you're not going to get much respect for threatening members because you have the power to do so.

Conor052001,

The mods here perform a very useful and necessary service from the goodness of their hearts. They deserve at the very least to be treated with respect.
    Awayindahils

why does he think that posts have to be 'ok'd' by him, surely if its ok then just leave it?

demanding respect isnt going to get you anywhere either love

anyway, if you have an issue with my post post pm me or take it to feedback or the helpdesk, here is not the place.;)

conor052001; You clearly did not read my explanation of why I made that post - it was a warning. Silently allowing one society (the entrepreneurs in this case) to disregard the designated event-pimping thread could have been taken as favouritism or a sort of go-ahead for everyone to do it, neither of which I wanted to happen, hence I made that post. Now, you're just taking the thread off topic for something which could have been resolved in PMs, if you had such an issue with me, so I'll not be explaining my actions any more. If you want further clarification of my motivation feel free to PM me. (Also, btw, I'm a "she".)

• Advertisement

conor052001; You clearly did not read my explanation of why I made that post - it was a warning. Silently allowing one society (the entrepreneurs in this case) to disregard the designated event-pimping thread could have been taken as favouritism or a sort of go-ahead for everyone to do it, neither of which I wanted to happen, hence I made that post. Now, you're just taking the thread off topic for something which could have been resolved in PMs, if you had such an issue with me, so I'll not be explaining my actions any more. If you want further clarification of my motivation feel free to PM me. (Also, btw, I'm a "she".)

Give it up! You're warning was pointless and just derailed the topic. And like you said, the sticky needs an update. It's name is "Pimp Your Events MT WK5 3/11/08" :confused: The sticky doesn't even allow for (easy) discussion and this topic was made for that purpose.

Finally, if the mods want people to PM them with their concerns instead of posting it then maybe they should do that themselves

Advertisement