Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrinas in the Park

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I admit that until I took up cycling (again) I hadn't realised that this path was specifically for bikes. I know it has bike symbols on it, but otherwise it just "feels" like a footpath. As I pedestrian I don't tend to think about signage - too busy walking, talking and taking in the view.

There is another footpath set back, but it's the other side of a rail, so if you're taking a buggy to/from your car it's no good. Rather ill thought out design.

Obviously now I cycle on it every commute it's screamingly obvious that it's a bike path.

eta: this is a good route for a cyclocross bike. The "outbound" bike lane has some really bad routing neat the bottom of the park where you're taking a few metres down a LH turn then have to cross the road. The best approach is to kerb-hop before that roundabout, but I'm shy of doing it on my road bike for rear of damaging tubes/rims.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

monument wrote: »
    I talked to rangers about a year and a half ago, he told me the above was happening. They were told to ask people not to walk on the cycle paths, but the walkers who use the path complained!
    Do you know what they actually said? It would be like complaining to a garda who caught you jaywalking, "I love strolling with my dog on the M50, I have an extra long lead so he can nip in front of traffic whenever he wants"
    Tails wrote: »
    Ha, sounds like a drivers argument against cyclists! Only substitute pedestrian for cyclist!
    These bloody pedestrians don't even cough up bicycle tax that pays for all these paths ;)
    Way the human brain works you'd need a "no pedestrians" sign. Walker with an X through them.
    Yes, I have said this before for proper legal cycletracks. A dirty big "€1,000 FINE FOR WALKING ON CYCLETRACK" would work wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, I have said this before for proper legal cycletracks. A dirty big "€1,000 FINE FOR WALKING ON CYCLETRACK" would work wonders.

If you see someone putting up wooden signs tonight in the park, I'd like to say in advance its not me!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ChipPanBuddha

I altered your suggestion slightly. :D
    Way the human brain works you'd need a "no pedestrians" sign. Walker with a spear through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Get a bell for your bike? That's what they do in other countries. I remember nearly being mown down by a cyclist when I was inadvertantly standing in a cycle lane in Munich, he rang his bike bell like a maniac.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

large_fog_horn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

eth0_ wrote: »
    Get a bell for your bike? That's what they do in other countries. I remember nearly being mown down by a cyclist when I was inadvertantly standing in a cycle lane in Munich, he rang his bike bell like a maniac.

I think it wouldn't work it two ped's are talking to each other.

I was thinking of getting an AirZound, (ala 311's suggestion) but that's another thing to carry on the bike.

Theres only one problem with the gas horn ,I'd say you'd be done for sounding it off in the park.
    I'm sure it breaks noise regulations:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

rubadub wrote: »
    You mean like the ones for not cleaning up dog foul?

You mean like the ones for not cleaning up dog foul?
    They're a load of sh1te :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

This really is getting facetious!

Whine, the odd pedestrian is walking in the cycle path. Can't you understand that minor delays are part of life? Can you not accept that the universe does not operate to your convenience?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

monument wrote: »
    I talked to rangers about a year and a half ago, he told me the above was happening. They were told to ask people not to walk on the cycle paths, but the walkers who use the path complained!

The rangers were then told not to interfere with the walkers on the cycle path. At least the ranger I was talking to was apologetic about the whole thing.

Sounds like there is an opportunity to influence their approach through complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ChipPanBuddha

Húrin wrote: »
    This really is getting facetious!

Whine, the odd pedestrian is walking in the cycle path. Can't you understand that minor delays are part of life? Can you not accept that the universe does not operate to your convenience?
    The odd pedestrian. If only. More like 40-50% on my work commute. Of course, some people haven't realised they're walking in the cycle lane and apologise when you give a ring of the bell. I mark those incidents down as a minor inconvenience. Others will walk/jog in the cycle lane through a sheer lack of consideration or a "can't be arsed" attitude. In my case, there would be no benefit for a pedestrian to walk on the cycle section (better lighting/surface etc). Some won't even move over after you have have used your bell and it's clear that they have heard you (they've looked over their shoulder). They'll either ignore you or hit you with the "how dare you!" look. I put those incidents down to living in Ireland and have a good old whine.

Advertisement