Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 PhD and 2 Marathons in next 8 months pretty please!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Mon Dec 15th

Gym again for work out. Surprised at how fast this programme is getting easy. Not going to change it until I can do full 1 minute of the lateral and front bridges, will jazz it up a little then. Hope to get a few runs in this week with friends. They will only be short and prob slow but better than nothing.

Up until this week I had been a morning gym person but Im pasted to the bed the last while, and in bed since before 11! Just knackered.

Finished that dreaded report too - all 51,997 words of it!! Virtual High 5 anyone?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

MarieC wrote: »
    Hi Zen monk, found out about it from post about limerick races over Xmas.
    If you go on to the main page of Limerick AC the details are there.

Its the route the mini-marathon used, 4.3miles sunday morning at 10:30, starting and finishing in UL.

Is that part of the xmas turkey run?

Not sure at all MCOS. What is the turkey run???

Not sure yet Marie, cant access Limerick AC site in work. The date and time just rang a bell with me. I'll ask at the club session tomorrow night. I think the Tri club are doing a cycle that morning and then joining in the run afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

MarieC wrote: »

Finished that dreaded report too - all 51,997 words of it!! Virtual High 5 anyone?? :)

Wow thats excellent. Running was the furthest thing from my mind when I wrote my dissertation (which was only a measly 15,000 words).

Major virtual high 5 for that

• Advertisement

Tue 16th Dec

Lovely 3mile run with friend who is only getting into the whole running thing. She did great and it was a beautiful night for a run. I hit the gym then for my Core workout. Deffo shaking it up alot after Christmas, its got easy v.fast.

Birthday today so before I meet friend for 3mile run Im treating myself to a run on my own with my new Asics Nimbus!! Quite excited I must say. Love the feeling of enjoying a run, and looking forward to it, not just cos Im scheduled a run, but simply because I want to run.

Its all good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Happy birthday Marie and well done on the before and after progress ;)

Happy Birthday MarieC and good stuff on getting the report done.. sounds epic! Now for some festive fun and/or running :)

Wed Dec 17th

Ran 4.2miles on my own and then 3.9 with friend. felt really rough I must say, must hav eaten somethin dodge. Felt like a lead balloon for the entire run, very nauseous after, didnt ease off til 24hrs later.
    Wore my new asics nimbus. deffo felt different to the nike air pegasus. dunno did they cause niggle on side of knee, and hip. Teethin issues perhaps??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

Hi Marie, chose your log to have a read through cos I'm looking into getting into a phd, and will be starting hal higdon's 18 week novice 1 plan on Mon 22nd Dec, ahead of London on Apr 26th.

noticed you having issues from your ITB... have a look at stretches 2 and 3 on http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099 , were recommended to me by an Ultra's runner who posts on boards and since I've been doing them my knee has been "ok", still feels a bit weak at times though. I had to miss last years London marathon on account of my ITB so dont just ignore it. Also, but 2 ice packs and wear them religously after a run on BOTH knees, no point in protecting one if you just let the other one fall apart.

BEST OF LUCK!!

• Advertisement

Hi MarieC did you do the 4.3mile Charity run yesterday? I was there but didn't see you and you may have not recognised me with mud all over my face! Nice run though especially the last 2 miles out the back of UL.

Mon Jan 5th

Well Im back to reality :( Did a few nice 4m runs over the Christmas and that was about it. Im starting my Paris Marathon training in earnest this week (t minus 13 weeks to Paris). I have decided to knock connemara back to a half as dont want to risk not enjoying paris 2 weeks later.

So plan for this week is: 3m 5m 3m and 7m at weekend.

Last night I did the 5m in 46:32 - 9.3min/mile. There's work to be done!!!

Tue Jan 6th

Short 2.5mile run with friend getting back in to running, nothing too hectic but v.enjoyable.

Wed Jan 7th

Lovely 4.92mile run on new route. Did it at 8.76min/mile pace which I was v.happy with - a 0.54min/mile faster than Monday evening.

Fri Jan 9th

Core workout session in the gym, did everything on program bar the pavlov twists.

Mon Jan 12th

Had missed a run at the weekend so took care of that this evening. 7.2miles. stopwatch gadget malfunctioned, it read 4hrs57min after run! Really need to get a proper one....

Anyway run was good. Felt good for most of it and that I pushed myself. Asics Nimbus giving definite teething issues which should be sorted by now. Had blister this evening from them. Finished run 3hrs ago and still nauseous after it. Porridge was all I could stomach for dinner.... All said a day with a run is all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Hey MarieC, sounds like you're going well with the running and the PhD - keep up the great work!

Tue Jan 13th

Im looking forward to the day when I can look back on this training log/diary and smile. Day from PhD hell today that resulted in me sitting at my desk not even having the energy to go out to the bathroom to cry. Enough said.

Went for lovely 6mile run then at 8.86min/mile pace.felt better during and after it, and no nausea. I think the gym work on the core is paying off.

Running is great, at least I have control over that.

Wed Jan 14th

Today was meant to be my easy run, just 3miles. Found it definitely harder than the 6 yesterday evening. Did it at a 9.3min/mile pace which is up half a min/mile from yesterday evening. Wind was very strong along the entire run, Id had my dinner at lunch time today which I never do so dont know if it was fully digested and plus I felt really tired (cos I am).

Fri Jan 16th

Nice 3m run at a good pace. Stupid gammy "stopwatch" gadget thing didnt work so I think its time to crack open the piggy bank.
    Felt good during it and after.

• Advertisement

Hey Marie,

I got this from http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Timex_Triathlon_50_Lap_Sleek_Watch/5360032922/

from wiggle for just €48 including delivery. Good ole weak sterling! Its not a fancy GPS forerunner type navigation system but it does the job and is waterproof too. It looks nice, is so light and they have a sleeker womens version too.

MCOS

Sun 18th Jan

12miles at 9.125min/mile pace (I think). First 6 fine but ITB was quite sore for the last 5miles. Will do few stretches for it tonight and mind it. Strong wind, rain, hailstone definitely has to be good for building endurance and stamina (also works as a free facial I think, especially those hailstones :)).

No nausea I think due to drinking throughout the run. Powerade all the way. Need to get used again though to running with a full bottle whilst wearing gloves. The joy of marathon training in winter I guess?

Ordered Wiggle stopwatch so thanks for link MCOS. Should hav it next week.

Mon Jan 19th

Nice 3m run this evening at 9.1min/mile pace. Felt good for 2/3's of it and then bit "flopsy" as I like to call it, aka needed a banana or some bit of sugar. ITB and hip were well behaved tonight.

Tue Jan 20th

3mile run at 9.22min pace. Felt alot better than yesterday, funny that it was a little bit slower...dont quite understnad that.

Ran straight to the Joe Buckley session then on the track. First night at it. Interval sessions lasting from 1 to 2 to 3minutes around the track with varying lengths of recovery between. As it was my first night no clue how many sets we did or how many laps of the track I did but stopped after 50min (was happy with myself to last the full session). Was v.happy with it and it adds a bit of variety to my otherwise solitary training. Hopefully will help with my speed also....

Thur Jan 22
    Gonna try running at lunch time instead, frees up the evening for work. 6miles today. It felt v.long and I predicted it to take me 55min, was shocked to read 50:30 on the stopwatch! that puts me at a pace of 8.42min/mile. Delighted with that, think its my fastest to date. Buzzing now after that.

Good running MarieC, good progress! Thought I saw you approaching the entrance to UL as I was heading back to work late... I'm blaming the 1000 mile challenge for my tardiness :rolleyes:

the 1000 mile challenge is fantastic motivation isnt it?! We're all mad!
    If the person you saw was all in black and with 2 pigtails then that was me! By the way MCOS you're doing great with ur swimming times - v.jealous! Fair play to you!

Thanks MarieC yep it was you so (very co-ordinated with the gear!). I think the main thing with the improvements is consistency and loving the variety in the training for Tri. I was going to say also quality over quantity but that 1000 mile challenge tends to turn your planned 5 miles into 6 :rolleyes: Yeah we are all mad!

Fri 23rd Jan

Spent 24hrs (from lunchtime on Thur) in bits with v.bad stomach cramps after lunch time run. An internet search on the matter suggested a dairy free diet so Im giving that a go since I read it.

Gym session this evening, all for the core which was still bit tender from the cramps. Felt good after it.

• Advertisement

Sat 24th Jan

Gym session again this morning. Felt the burn! :)
    Stomach is back to normal thank God, no more cramps!

Advertisement