Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porridge & heartburn

Options
  • 19-11-2008 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I've been eating porridge lately as part of my diet and although I love it, I get heartburn after eating it! I don't understand why though! I do get heartburn if I eat fatty foods or chocolate, etc but the porridge I eat is either made on low fat milk or 50/50 low fat milk and water and I also have a little sugar in it. Does anyone else get heartburn from porridge/oats? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

could be allergic to the oats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Do you microwave it? I found I couldn't eat it like that, sat in my stomach like concrete. No problems with making it normally though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

What's the consistency of it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Tootsie

SMK,I have porridge everyday made from water,with a little honey to sweeten it. This morning I had terrible heartburn from it[never had it before],but I didn't cook it for long enough & I ate it really fast as I was in a hurry.
    Maybe this rings a bell for you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

It gives me terrible heartburn too. I find if I make it more milky than it doesn't seem to affect me as bad and mostly not at all. What's funny is I can eat it every day for weeks and then just one day get bad heartburn friom it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I either have porridge in work which is made 50/50 water and low fat milk and made in a pot or else I have it at home made from low fat milk and cooked in the microwave for 2 minutes. I think I will try and cook it longer in the microwave and see if that makes a difference. I've been looking on the internet and it appears it's not so unusual to get heartburn from porridge even though one of the tips to stop heartburn is to eat porridge!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 redelephant

I thought it was just me! I find the heartburn is worse if the oats are not well cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

maybe you ate it too quickly??
    do you have gerd/acid reflux?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Irish water could be the culprit. That is my story. Do you get more heartburn when you eat the oats with water than milk?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I thought I was the only one! I've never had heartburn before, no other food gives it to me, not even the spiciest of curries but I often get it when I eat porridge for breakfast at work. It doesn't happen every day, though I will eat porridge almost every working day. As far as I know they make it with water, I thought maybe it was that I was putting too much cinnamon on it. I used to make porridge at home where I'd steep the oats in some boiling water overnight, then heat it with milk in the morning and never had heartburn from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

I used to get it all the time, mostly from porridge. Could you try a few different brands? I got it badly from Flahavans. This summer I used Odlums in the orange bag and it was great. I have also used Quaker while abroad without a problem (dunno if you can get it here). Ready Brek also has similar nutrition and I don't get heartburn :D
    I also used Oatilicious (it was in the press at home, I think it's from LIDL), it was almost perfectly fine, had an odd bit of it but nowhere near as bad as others.

Other things you might look into is how much water you're drinking, how much sleep you're getting, stress levels, other foods you're eating (processed, sugary etc) as there can be other things in the day than just one bowl of porridge that cause heartburn. But on certain weeks where I've been eating the same foods without problems and then get a bit of heartburn, I can pinpoint that it was porridge (or Weetabix!).

Making it with or without milk or yoghurt or any of those things never changed the end result from me - Flahavans 10/10 times I get heartburn.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Could it be the starch? I find it difficult to tolerate starchy foods nowadays which saddens me because I love porridge and it's such a handy breakfast. You could try soaking the oats overnight and/or cooking them more slowly to break it down.

Just noticed the OP is several years old...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Becareful recommending other brands of oats on this forum. Apparently it is considered "medical" advice and the thread will be closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

armabelle wrote: »
    Becareful recommending other brands of oats on this forum. Apparently it is considered "medical" advice and the thread will be closed!

Or it might be closed because it's 8 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I always get heartburn from porridge, and I'm hungry again in 2 hours. If I eat the same amount of calories in form of eggs & bacon type of breakfast, I'm full till lunch with no digestive issues. Porridge is good for you? no, not me...

Advertisement