Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

911 Porsche

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

jay28 wrote: »
    You would have to find where to put the coolant in first :D

......people always find some place to pour a can they have just opened ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

this 'where to put the coolant in' reminds me of the not-so-smart-thinking that Porsche did when they introduced a seperate Oil Filler lid on the Rhd side rear wing for the 1972 model year of the 911.

Normally the oil filler cap is on the inside of the engine bay, against the inner wing on the rhd side, so some smart pants in Porsche must have thought it would be a brilliant idea, if the oil level could be measured and filled up without having to open the engine lid...

This sounded like a good idea, except when the new cars were coming back to the dealers in no time, with Petrol guzzling out of the inner workings of the engines... seemingly the not so smart garage hands accross the globe, would easily mistake a filler cap on the REAR wing, to be the most logical place to put petrol in.... I mean, who in their right mind would pour petrol into a filler cap on the left hand side FRONT wing!!! :D

Obviously this 'lid' was dropped for the 73 model range :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's hilarious! :D

Where do you get stories like this, Paul?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

alpina wrote: »
    Here's my two cents on parking outside

Give it one all mercy full wax...fill with petrol, check sufficient coolant/oil level
    Spend a bit of money & get yourself a decent breathable cover & a trickle charger.
    Try & keep the four wheels up on a tile/slate, anything rather than letting it sit in pools of water days on end.
    Guess all depends how fussy you are going to be....& how many dry days we get, but every now & then remove cover, wash down & chamois, will take care of any built up moisture anyhow and don't be sparing with the WD-40/vaseline where ever appropriate, wont do any harm & will protect alot. Every couple of weeks give it a start & let run 10/15 minutes (keep an eye on coolant), play with any electrics etc etc to save seizing up...

Should be no problem storing under the cover as long as you maintain the car & cover, not walk away & uncover in ten years.

Coolant - hah, good one !!

Forget the 15 minute running thing with a 911 - you might as well throw a match at the engine, now............with 13 litres of oil to heat, it's going to a lot more than that, and the only way to do that properly, and to avoid engine corrosion issues, is to drive the thing for a good 30-40 miles.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Smoggy wrote: »
    Lastely, My place doesn't have a garage, I was thinking of parking any classic I get on the drive under a cover -is there any downsides to this over having it garaged ?

Well, without a garage, you might find insurance is an issue, for a start....better check, but iirc, classic policies usually need a garage.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement