Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times reports that all pistols are to be banned

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

G17 wrote: »
    This is not directed to any particular poster.....

Regarding politicians, who work for us and give a sh1t in my opinion despite what all you bitter cynics with a grand plan might say. I don't want to post their replies/thoughts here but I have sent many letters and visited a couple of clinics, I know EXACTLY who'll be getting my vote based on their response or indeed lack of response. With the misc. bill pending, don't come moaning later that someone should have done something.

If you haven't bothered your holes contacting your local politicians, you should A. contact them, or B. take up Golf.

Every shooter in the country of every type whether you are a target shooter/deer hunter/pest control/clay shooter/game keeper/farmer/plinker
    or what ever we should all make it our concern and should all contact as many politicians of all parties as possible and let them know that we concerned about our opressive gun laws.
    If you are a member of a gun club or rifle/pistol range then invite them along to see exactly what happens on sporting occasions and how safe and enjoyable these activities are.
    Just get your point accross in a non aggresive way.
    Anyway tomorrow is mini????? budget day,i wonder wil we be paying extra taxes on ammunition or firearms certs.

Hi all
    just heard that the new bill is due to be released next tuesday.
    information a bit sketchy at the moment but there is a possibility that some calibres and makes of handguns are to be banned,sig226/glock.
    dont quote me on this one,i only heard it second hand from a dealer who is in the know.
    keep your ears and eyes open next week for more info.
    fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

daveob007 wrote: »
    Hi all
    information a bit sketchy at the moment but there is a possibility that some calibres and makes of handguns are to be banned,sig226/glock.
    dont quote me on this one,i only heard it second hand from a dealer who is in the know.
    fingers crossed

what dealer did you hear it from Dave? you can pm me if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

daveob007 wrote: »
    Hi all
    fingers crossed

Do you ever wonder what other aspects of government are affected by the gob$hites basing their decisions on what they've seen on the idiot box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Jacobo

kowloon wrote: »
    Do you ever wonder what other aspects of government are affected by the gob$hites basing their decisions on what they've seen on the idiot box?

Remember that it's all rumours and speculations, since the contents of the bill haven't been made public yet. Reserve the vitriol for after you know for a fact what's in it :)

That said, I doubt particular brands of firearms will be banned, as that would be extremely easy to work around, but it would be fun to see under what trade marks Glock would start operating in Ireland. Who would ban a gun called "Hennessy & Fitzgerald 17"? You can bet I would love to own one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

True, but I always expect this rubbish. Could always stick it to the man and call it a Flock :D.

murph226 wrote: »
    what dealer did you hear it from Dave? you can pm me if you want?

heard that from kevin mc carthy of midwest sporting supplies newmarketonfergus

by the way we had willie o dea and his sister visiting our range at ballyhoura co limerick yesterday.
    he seemed very happy with the waythe club is run regarding safety/security and the whole sporting thing also.
    it probably wont do anything to change the new bill because those decisions are made but at leas he saw us as proper sporting shooters who do our thing in a resposible and safe way,and that we are not a shower of hoodie criminals or gangbangers.
    hopefully it has removed any doubts he may have had about the sport of pistol shooting nd might help us in the future.
    Kevin Mc Carthy was aso there and he seems to get the feeling that the ban on certain makes of pistol wont be brought in after all.
    I cant say that willie o dea is now on our side,but at least now he has seen what we do and has an understanding that mght help us in future.
    we wait and see tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

At least it is something positive. He has now seen how your club operates and the strict guidelines etc....

Looks like it has happened....

wrote:
    Ahern signs new gun control act into law
    on 24/07/2009 11:29:00

Justice Minister Dermot Ahern has signed new gun control legislation into law. Justice Minister Dermot Ahern has signed new gun control legislation into law.

The act bans handguns in Ireland and also introduces a requirement for referees, background medical checks and standards for the safe keeping of guns in the home for all firearms licence applicants.

It also makes it an offence to brandish a realistic imitation firearm in public.

Mr Ahern says the legislation is designed to halt the emergence of a gun culture in Ireland.

Is this an outright ban on handguns or will current licence holders be exepmt?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Trojan911 wrote: »

Its a complete ban Trojan, my freind has just had his taken off him, as he was told the cert will not be renewed..
    He is gutted, as it cost him a good bit and he will only be getting a 1/4 of what he payed.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭.270 remington

hi keelan
    when was your friends pistol taken from him .???
    how come he is getting compensated for same ???
    who did the valuation on the pistol ???

Keelan wrote: »
    Its a complete ban Trojan, my freind has just had his taken off him, as he was told the cert will not be renewed..
    He is gutted, as it cost him a good bit and he will only be getting a 1/4 of what he payed.. :(

That's a right gut wrencher, I know because I was in the same boat in the UK when Sec1's were revoked following Dunblane.

However, I made a handsome claim for my three handguns and was compensated well. Still not the point as we lost our Friday night gathering at the range.

Sorry to hear it for all handgun owners....

Mods,

Could this Thread be locked? I think it has served it's purpose and there is a current thread ongoing with same conversation.

Might as well all sing off the same sheet....

Cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Keelan wrote: »

There must be something more to this story? The licences don't expire until July 31 ?

Has he security, range membership etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There must be something more to this story? The licences don't expire until July 31 ?

Has he security, range membership etc?
    I find myself agreeing with bunny shooter more and more as time goes by ;)

This does sound very strange indeed. It may well be true that a Garda somewhere has told this guy that he's likely to be refused a renewal, but that it's a fact and that it's gone is very very odd.

And him telling the chap he won't be renewed and him not being renewed are quite a distance apart.

There has to be more to this.

Trojan911 wrote: »

Notwithstanding Keelan's post Trojan, the new Act does not revoke current pistol licences. There are supposed to be more strict guidelines from the Gardai which will be imposed on pistol owners, but the act specifically says that if you had a pistol licence before the 19/11/2008, you keep it (assuming you meet these new guidelines).

And no, we haven't seeen these new guidelines yet.

No new pistol licences will be issued except for air and rimfire pistols designed for use in olympic sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

rrpc wrote: »
    pistols designed for use in olympic sports.

How much trouble would it be to get a "glock 50m shoot" recognized as an Olympic sport? What does Ahern do then.....

Bit of humour

maglite wrote: »
    How much trouble would it be to get a "glock 50m shoot" recognized as an Olympic sport? What does Ahern do then.....

Bit of humour

Much appreciated :D

Notwithstanding Keelan's post Trojan, the new Act does not revoke current pistol licences. There are supposed to be more strict guidelines from the Gardai which will be imposed on pistol owners, but the act specifically says that if you had a pistol licence before the 19/11/2008, you keep it (assuming you meet these new guidelines).

And no, we haven't seeen these new guidelines yet.

No new pistol licences will be issued except for air and rimfire pistols designed for use in olympic sports.

Ok, so it would appear holders prior to 19/11/08 are safe once they meet the new guidelines, which are yet to materialise..... That's something positive so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,959 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

maglite wrote: »

Bit of humour

Possibly in the pole,table, and lap dancing triathalon category perhaps?:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

alls ahern has to do now is keep tightening the requirements to own a pistol and soon it would reach such a farcical stage that it wouldn't be worthwhile to keep one , and there is no comeback or appeal with this new legislation .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Possibly in the pole,table, and lap dancing triathalon category perhaps?:)
    i'd sit up til 4 in the morning to watch that !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I find myself agreeing with bunny shooter more and more as time goes by ;)............

:eek:

images?q=tbn:MN8CwuQWjR9aFM::www.ancientheroes.org

Group Hug

:pac:

Now your really starting to freak me out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

does it not discriminate for one person to be allowed to have a pistol while others who meet the same requirements are not.Why should one groop of shooters by merit of age (pre Nov.'08) get to keep their firearm while others who are new to the sport be denied
    Are we not all equal in the mini-sters:D eyes:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

4gun wrote: »
    does it not discriminate for one person to be allowed to have a pistol while others who meet the same requirements are not.Why should one groop of shooters by merit of age (pre Nov.'08) get to keep their firearm while others who are new to the sport be denied
    Are we not all equal in the mini-sters:D eyes:eek:

here here, my cert was issued on the 18th of December:mad:

I havent heard anything from the local Guards yet:confused:

Advertisement