Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI less than 1 euro per share

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 timber19

scare mongering and negative attitute will do no good in this present climate, the way ye are talking it sounds like ye want boi to fail.... I bought enough @ 92Cents each. when ye are still working to the age of 65 and some in the local garage shop part time till 75, Ill be on easy street, boi shares are going no place but up up up ............... I cant wait to dish ye boi beaters out a big dose of humble pie when it does happen. ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

timber19 wrote: »
    scare mongering and negative attitute will do no good in this present climate, the way ye are talking it sounds like ye want boi to fail.... I bought enough @ 92Cents each. when ye are still working to the age of 65 and some in the local garage shop part time till 75, Ill be on easy street, boi shares are going no place but up up up ............... I cant wait to dish ye boi beaters out a big dose of humble pie when it does happen. ........

That's the same attitude that has us in this very mess, the notion that we don't want to work, we want easy money. That's the same mentality that caused the housing joke, people making a fortune by selling overpriced property to us using other people's money. There is nothing wrong with a bank failing, it is the ultimate correction of the capitalist system, every other business is open to this correction and there is no reason in the world why a bank should be exempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

dotsman wrote: »
    What are you on about?

It's this bank-bashing that's getting us further and further away from the resolving this crisis.

Cutting off the head to cure the headache...

The headache in this case was caused by the patient deliberately sticking a fork into his eye. It's time to take the fork off him and put him in a padded cell for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

According to Sunday Business Post, a number of US private equity firms are interested in acquiring a stake in BOI and injecting (in tandem with the govt) up to 2.5bn of fresh capital. Conditionality as regards a minimum time of investment term and exit will be enforced by the govt (and rightly so in my opinion, private equity firms with sizable stakes in retail banks doesn't fill me with confidence).

Sunday Business Post Article

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

justfortherecor
    US private equity firms

Is that another way of saying hedge fund?
    timber19

scare mongering and negative attitute will do no good in this present climate
    Your denial of the importance of objectivity amounts to announcing your intention to lie to us. No-one should believe anything you say.
    John McCarthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

cavedave wrote: »
    Is that another way of saying hedge fund?

No: Private Equity does not equal Hedge Fund (although it could be said both prefer to operate in the less regulated financial environments with a focus of maximum profits in as short a time span as possible. Not the ideal modus operandi for retail banks in need of more regulation.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Why the **** would anybody put their money into a company that's getting fresh capital into it in less than a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

aphex™ wrote: »
    Why the **** would anybody put their money into a company that's getting fresh capital into it in less than a week?

Perhaps because many people think that the current share price of circa €1 has already taken this (and more) into account?

dotsman wrote: »
    Perhaps because many people think that the current share price of circa €1 has already taken this (and more) into account?

No. They got dumped to that price level when they said they weren't going to be doing any dividends for a few years. That caused an automatic sell off by certain funds. That brought us below a euro.

And what has the market taken into account? A 25% dilution of shares? A 40% dilution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

No. They got dumped to that price level when they said they weren't going to be doing any dividends for a few years. That caused an automatic sell off by certain funds. That brought us below a euro.

And what has the market taken into account? A 25% dilution of shares? A 40% dilution?

Its probably the same people that bought eircom shares :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

The share price was tumbling long before they announced no dividends. AS for what percentage? I think the market has priced in a real possibility of being fully nationalised, and thus losing everything. Hence, with the rumours of this private equity, the share priced has bounced back.

However, it is still risky. The fact is , in these times, no one has a clue about the exact fallout from the crisis, and financial shares are very difficult to price.

It's just there is so much good stuff that is down at the moment. Why bother with BOI? It's shares may be diluted, or it may be taken over. Heck, even 12 months ago there were rumours of a take-over. People here are like "when it gets back to 12 in a few years i'm going to be rich". Well, it probably won't be around then. It will probably just be part of some big international bank.

So many people are saying to me "my family have money in that, look how cheap it is, time to buy". Wrong.

The bank of Ireland your granny put her money in and nodded her head as if to say it's a good bet is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

It's just there is so much good stuff that is down at the moment. Why bother with BOI? It's shares may be diluted, or it may be taken over. Heck, even 12 months ago there were rumours of a take-over. People here are like "when it gets back to 12 in a few years i'm going to be rich". Well, it probably won't be around then. It will probably just be part of some big international bank.

So many people are saying to me "my family have money in that, look how cheap it is, time to buy". Wrong.

The bank of Ireland your granny put her money in and nodded her head as if to say it's a good bet is gone.

Does a simmiler fate await aib? or does it look to go alone raising its own capital, could be best long term play out of all the irish banks.

ranger4 wrote: »
    Does a simmiler fate await aib? or does it look to go alone raising its own capital, could be best long term play out of all the irish banks.

They don't have to fully revalue their loan books until the end of year results. Wouldn't touch any of them till then, myself.

They don't have to fully revalue their loan books until the end of year results. Wouldn't touch any of them till then, myself.

When is end of year results due for aib.

2nd March 09 i think.

2nd March 09 i think.

Thanks.

Advertisement