Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB Radio - some stations off-air?

Options
  • 16-11-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Just recently noticed that All80s and Mocha appear to have stopped broadcasting on DAB. Anyone else experienced this also? Do you know if they will be back? Both are continuing to broadcast on the web. I miss them :(

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Both coming in loud and clear here...

Probably a downed link earlier or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

Thanks! Both are back now, must just have been a glitch somewhere.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I wonder what are Dusty Rhodes' plans come December 1... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Keep going on the web and hope the commercial stations cop on a bit and stump up a few euro. The commercials can't expect RTE to pay for the continuation of MUX2.

MUX2 and Dusty need the commercials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's HIGHLY unlikely the commercial stations will be all that keen on DAB in the current market. Ad revenues are dropping and they will simply see DAB as canabolising the market.

Also, I've heard concern expressed by smaller rural local stations that they will be swamped by DAB simulcasts of large urban stations, particularly the bigger players in Dublin and Cork.

Most of the commercials see DAB as at best expensive and at worst a major threat to revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Two of the commercials will need to change all their liners should they go off DAB (not that thats that complicated/expensive, obviously). Both Spin and Q102 specifically mention DAB now.

I'm not expecting Mux 2 to just go blank/off, theres bound to be some transitionary arrangement agreed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

sidekick wrote: »
    Just recently noticed that All80s and Mocha appear to have stopped broadcasting on DAB. Anyone else experienced this also? Do you know if they will be back? Both are continuing to broadcast on the web. I miss them :(

I have those two but am missing Newstalk for the last few days... :(

Anyone else??

98, Spin and Newstalk all silent from Three Rock at present. Its Communicorp sibling Today FM is on the air though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Silent on FM or DAB?

Its a DAB thread, so DAB. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

DMC wrote: »
    98, Spin and Newstalk all silent from Three Rock at present. Its Communicorp sibling Today FM is on the air though.

Same here! And thats from the Claremont Carn transmitter in Louth.

98, Spin and Newstalk are all on the same IP codec and therefore the same IP connection into Donnybrook. Problem isn't on Three Rock or Claremont Carn.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

2 quick questions...

1. What's the reception like in the Cavan area?

2. Can someone receommend a decent NON-retro looking DAB compatible radio/hi-fi for around the €100 (or less) mark - I don't mind going to NI for the right one either if that helps

Ta!

Pure Evoke line aren't retro looking and are very good quality.

No idea about the signal but I suspect you'd need an external antenna in Cavan if you can get it at all - the coverage map* isn't promising. You may get BBC National and Score NI though.

*http://digitalradio.ie/images/DAB@3Rock20kW+(CC+Woodcock+SpurHill)5kW.jpg

I was able to get DAB from NI in car at the highest point of the Cavan town bypass. You have a clear view north from there.

I have in the past posted up locations of where I received DAB from NI, they are still pretty current as DAB coverage hasn't improved greatly from NI.

Those stations are still off air me also. Is there no loop back so they know all broadcasts are operating correctly? Or do they care? :mad:

I have emailed Newstalk to report this issue. Let's see how long it takes to get it resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭longfordjames

Can you get Yorkshire Radio in Ireland?

Can you get Yorkshire Radio in Ireland?

Only by satellite or internet. Why anyone would want to listen to a station owned by a morally bankrupt, charity robbing football club I dunno, but its there on Sky 0209 and tuneable on any FTA system.

Just received the following response from Newstalk...

Thank you for you email. We have finished our trial on Digital platform at present and we will be reassessing the merits of recommencing this service in the new year.

Can I please redirect you to our live broadcast on 106-108 fm?

Regards

Newstalk 106–108 fm
    Marconi House, Digges Lane, Dublin 2.
    Tel: + 353 1 644 5100
    Fax: + 353 1 644 5101
    www.newstalk.ie

Is this news to everyone, that they have stopped their DAB broadcasting?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

sidekick wrote: »
    Just received the following response from Newstalk...

Thank you for you email. We have finished our trial on Digital platform at present and we will be reassessing the merits of recommencing this service in the new year.

Can I please redirect you to our live broadcast on 106-108 fm?

Regards

Newstalk 106–108 fm
    Marconi House, Digges Lane, Dublin 2.
    Tel: + 353 1 644 5100
    Fax: + 353 1 644 5101
    www.newstalk.ie

Is this news to everyone, that they have stopped their DAB broadcasting?

It is my understanding that only RTE will be on DAB from 1st.December and even they have a reduced number of channels.

• Advertisement

The commercial DAB trial (MUX2) is due to close at the end of November. Nobody is too sure what is going to happen.

The Dublin stations don't have much interest in DAB right now as you can receive all of them on FM in Dublin. People will lose out with the non Dublin stations (All 80's, Mocha and Radio Kerry).

Sidekick, can I ask who in Newstalk you sent the email to or who replied to you?

@More Music

I emailed webcast@newstalk.ie which I found on their website. The email reply came from the same address but without any name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I have just sent an email to kate@newstalk.ie who (according to reception) is their technical support Girl.

Its a real pain in the arse really - just getting used to DAB when one of my Presets goes Dead . . . .

I have replaced Newstalk with Q102 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

The general word I am getting from Ireland is that stations do NOT wish to continue with DAB as it is expensive and far-off as far as they are concerned. Sorry to burst the aul bubbles of people who forked out hard-earned cash on DAB radios - hope they have an FM tuner too for you. I think my friend Paul Milne made a wiser investment in buying an internet radio (Wi-fi) - he can get over 8,000 stations from all over the world on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

^ Is that the sound of a broken record I hear?

Sure! Say what you want! Like I care?

Just stating facts. It is becoming clearer as you can see with the email Newstalk sent back to the poster above. Prepare to see more of this.

They're ceasing solely due to there being no regulatory framework to allow them to continue - Mux 2 has not got a licence past next week. For them to continue would be illegal.

Enda - explain to me how I can get an internet radio to work in my car at 120km/h on the M4, thanks. At 160kbits equivalent quality.

MYOB wrote: »
    They're ceasing solely due to there being no regulatory framework to allow them to continue - Mux 2 has not got a licence past next week. For them to continue would be illegal.

Enda - explain to me how I can get an internet radio to work in my car at 120km/h on the M4, thanks. At 160kbits equivalent quality.

Well go satellite radio then! I see Sirius in the states doing well now merged with XM and here we go LETS NAMEDROP AGAIN!! WAAAAAAAAAAYYY HEEEEEEEEEYYYYY!! My good friend Spyder Harrison does evenings on SiriusXM Totally 70s with something like 8million listeners.
    To listen in a car you get a little FM Kit that allows you to listen.
    Wifi or internet radio IS being developed for cars by manufacturers. By the way SiriusXM are also available online. People don't do km/h in the UK they do mph! and furthermore, you'd be lucky to get any kind of speed up on the M4 with the kind of congestion around London these days!! Or maybe you mean some sort of dual carraigeway in Ireland they have decided to call the M4? lol

It is NOT solely due to no legal framework. I have spoken to TX chiefs and engineers in Ireland about this and that is the "line" being fed out re: legislation but in reality, the fact is nobody wants to go DAB yet - yeah cool IT WORKS MYOB!! Yaayy, they know that I know that you know that we ALL know it! DAB IS GREAT! The fact is there is a credit crunch and they are tightening in their belts. It would be nice to get all the UK stations too in Ireland but that aint gonna happen either because they want to protect their little nest egg. Time was you could hear stations from all over Europe on MW - that is all being looked down upon now as RTE and the independents would prefer that their listeners were not distracted from listening to Irish radio - and meaning they don't lose revenue.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Seriously, dragging arguments from other threads over into this one is not on. Next person to continue this will, at the very least, be getting an infraction.

• Advertisement

Satellite radio doesn't work in cars with tree cover, bridges, heavy rain - not without a ground repeater network... Back to where we started from. Sirius XM are also losing money like its going out of fashion, the merger was to keep both companies alive (for a bit).

The tone of that post is about the most unprofessional I've ever seen from someone (purporting to be) a respected broadcaster; and your attempt to slag our motorway network rather falls flat assuming that the UK's M4 is solely in London - it runs to Wales.

edit: had written this post before the above appeared...

Advertisement