Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pit bull in pound 5 days up and rescue space offered will he be released??

Options
  • 13-11-2008 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

I’ve been in touch with this pound today at 2.15 this dog was still alive, I asked to speak to the pound manager I was told no he's not here, i dealt with some very impolite lady I told her there was a rescue space offered for the tan and white male pit bull due to be put to sleep today and was told that pit bulls don't get out of here even to a rescue :eek: I asked why?? She said they are a restricted breed and the pound manager doesn't let them out. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing so I reminded them of the control of dogs act that states very clearly 10 breeds that are on a restricted breeds list but nowhere in it did it say or could I find any information in legislation saying that a dog should be put to sleep on the bases of its breed, I was told there was nothing she could do at all and she would pass the message on. I still haggled to try and get information as to why this was happening but I was just hung up on.
    I rang again and got true after about 30 minutes and got true to the same lady i was told she had passed the message on and the pound manager would ring me in his own time, i said so he is there she said yes i asked could i speak to him she said no i reminded her that if this dog was put to sleep it wouldn't be the end of it and again i was hung up on. Can any1 tell me if this is normal or is it just me that thinks this is so not Wright and something should be done about it?????
    im still waiting on his phone call and hope he rings me before this dog is killed because it just so happened to be a "pit bull":confused: OR NOT!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

This is a disgrace and something must be done about it, that manager better get his act together.

Im sure i know what pound your talking about and its a disgrace, this fella should not be allowed to work with animals as he does not have a clue.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Lilly/DNB

I think everybody has heard about this pound and i cant believe a blind eye has being turned to it all this time, this is my first time dealing with this pound and if these are the people running it that i spoke to well god love them poor dogs. if this dog is put to sleep today or tomorrow how is this something i can sit back a just ignore i couldn't and to make things worse the way things are handled if there was nothing to hide why wouldn't anyone want to speak to me its out of control and something needs to be done about it but we all need to stand up and be counted poor dogs haven't a chance in these places
    im willing to stand up anyway..

i love staffies and last time i was there, there was a girl who asked me would i be able to foster them as they are always put down, i would only for i have 2 dogs already and no room-there put down all the time there that much i do know. Rotties seem to be put down there very regular too.

Can anything legal be done about this?

i dont know what you could do, they need to answer to the public what there policies are..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Spica

considering that the pound provides a public service and they are using tax payers money to run it...yes, they should clearly state their rehoming policies - and I mean the rehoming policies must be approved by the council and made public so that everyone can access it.
    If this pound is the one I know...then I am not surprised of their response. The only law they seem to know is bad manners and intimidation.
    We pay for the pound services and we should receive a better standard of customer service when contacting them.
    I wonder if a public petition to the council could be an idea to have their rehoming policies made public?

just told this poor boy has been put to sleep for no good reason even though there was a rescue space for him, :(

• Advertisement

That pound has to answer for this, its a disgrace and the people running it are too.
    im sure a lot of educated people would speak up for the staffies.
    could this be put on 1 of them talk shows, joe duffy or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lilly/DNB wrote: »
    just told this poor boy has been put to sleep for no good reason even though there was a rescue space for him, :(

Lilly we I suspect we all know which pound, was the dogs details posted online, if so can you post the URL please?.

Also Lilly, is there any discussion of this on DiD or any of the other sites supporting the pounds?.

yes its the pound we all know about this dogs details didnt even make it online, pit bills or even dogs that resemble pit bulls will not get out ill be going public about this and any help would be very much appreciated

Mairt wrote: »

Also Lilly, is there any discussion of this on DiD or any of the other sites supporting the pounds?.
    not that i know of most people wont get involved for some reason :confused:

Lilly/DNB wrote: »
    yes its the pound we all know about this dogs details didnt even make it online, pit bills or even dogs that resemble pit bulls will not get out ill be going public about this and any help would be very much appreciated
    I'll be as vocal as i can be..and get people to support you too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

This is outragous... where is this pound.

daviddwyer wrote: »
    This is outragous... where is this pound.
    im not sure i can say, i received a picture of this poor fella and i was asked to help i rang Sarah from egar shesaid she would have a space for him no problem but still they wouldn't let him out and i just cant understand why? if he was anyway dangerous i would say yes put this dog asleep but from what i heard he was so friendly with people and other dogs what a great pet he would have made only for he was a pit bull that's just so sad i cant even eat i feel that sick over it all..:mad:

cowzerp wrote: »
    I'll be as vocal as i can be..and get people to support you too..
    thanks a mil thats what we need

Well like I said in the last discussion on this particular establishment, I've withdrawn all support (including financial) to them and I'd advise others who care to do like wise.

And while I'm aware that other dogs (breeds) suffer I'm also aware that to make an omelette you've to crack an egg.

This really angers me, and makes the people enforcing this no better than the scumbags using Pitbull & Staffs in fighting pitts.

Thanks for your continued work Lilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Spica

what about lodging a complaint with the Office of the Ombudsman (http://ombudsman.gov.ie/en/)? At the end the council is the final responsible for what happens in the pound and as far as I know the council in question has always failed to address any issue related to this pound - despite lots of complaints against it. Maybe it's time for them to give the public some answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

The rescue who offered a space for him was me. It is the fourth time this has happened. The pound manager stated to me that the CC has ordered him to do so yet the CC denies all knowledge of it when approached by me and stated that it is *at his disgretion*. So who is lying?

I could tell you MANY horror stories about this particular pound. No other pound give me as much hassle when it comes to Bull Breeds. Other pound manager actually ring me if they think they have an APBT and ask me to take it.

EGAR wrote: »
    The rescue who offered a space for him was me. It is the fourth time this has happened. The pound manager stated to me that the CC has ordered him to do so yet the CC denies all knowledge of it when approached by me and stated that it is *at his disgretion*. So who is lying?

I could tell you MANY horror stories about this particular pound. No other pound give me as much hassle when it comes to Bull Breeds. Other pound manager actually ring me if they think they have an APBT and ask me to take it.

Its a sad state of affairs when the person running this pound is allowed to get away with culling any pit bulls that are unfortunate to end up there, the worst thing is i,ve seen lots of them in there and there typical pit bulls, real cute and friendly..

How can we get justice for this dog?

this fella has to be removed from his role in the pound, on a cruelty basis surely..

I have taken many old, sick and difficult dogs from Ashton. I have taken many many restricted breeds from pounds. I've never had as much trouble with pounds as I have with Ashton over Bull Breeds.

A member of staff told me (when I enquired about cute little notes on the kennels of Bull Breeds sayd *I have a home*) that those notes were put up to avoid having to rehome these dogs to the general public. As a matter of fact these dogs were MARKED for DEATH.

Or what about the Staffie bitch and her two pups I was asked to take? Having arranged a foster home for all THREE, the transporter arrived at the pound and was asked to chose between the mother and the pups. The transporter knew that whatever she chose the other would go down. I could not be reached by phone that morning and the transporter made the heartbreaking decision to take the two pups. The bitch was then pts'd. I was livid and I wanted it out in the open but NO, I was asked to keep it quiet *for the sake of *name of rescue* and the dogs*. And I did, despite that fact that I cried my eyes out that night. I am now regretting that I did.

I will be lodging a formal complaint with the Dublin CC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

I find that very disturbing. The "I have a home" notes suggest that the pound management know they have no right to deny homes to these dogs, otherwise why would they lie? Forcing the transporter to choose between the mother and her two pups, all Staffies, all offered homes, makes absolutely no sense, unless it's the power that they enjoy. It's an outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Guys, that is absolutely disgraceful, but I personally would counsel that you do NOT go to the 'general public' and say this pound puts down APBTs without trying to rehome them.

I believe the current climate in Ireland is one of ignorance and fear against bull breed terriers, and until THAT changes, any publicisation of the fact that this pound puts them to sleep may result in SUPPORT for the pound, not criticism.

Better to circulate the news around informed animal lovers and rescue organisations so that the pound comes under pressure from those in the know and in the related fields of animal health care.

I could so easily imagine the pound manager on Joe Duffy going 'These dogs can't be trusted, how could I in good conscience rehome one of these animals to a family with children' and then he might support that by citing his own lengthy experience with dogs etc. etc. - I could see it do more harm than good. :-(

• Advertisement

That would be easy to disrepute since he can't tell an x from a purebred much less a Staffie x from an APBT. I have taken dogs in from Ashton whose breed description made me cringe...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kazza23

Don't even talk to me about that hellhole. The reality is, very few actual pitbulls end up in Ashton. The wardens continually mis-identify the dogs and sentence them to death. Bizarrely, one of my dogs is a pitbull that came from Ashton, but only because they thought she was a staffy. It makes me sick to the core that she could have met the same fate as all the others that have gone down in that place. But I look at her each day and know that having her, an ambassador for her breed, having escaped from Ashton, is a real "upyours" to the manager (along with the gorgeous akita that escaped from the wardens and ended up straying in my street, of all places. Took her in and got her a fabulous home, after contacting her owners and having them surrender her to me obviously - wasn't gonna give them the opportunity to fine me, when we know they have personal grudges against people and use their inflated sense of power to try to get to them).

Then of course you look at his published figures at the end of each year with the ridiculously high rehoming rates, that blatantly don't include the number of innocent "pitbulls" that are slaughtered there each year.

The council don't want to know. I'm sick of ringing them about it and them saying that "it's contracted out, we don't control it". Everyone passes the buck. However, I also have been told the "it's at the discretion of the pound manager" by the council, and told by the manager "It's council policy".

It's time to stand up and face these people head on. Let's go public - protests/demonstrations, journalists, Joe Duffy, whatever it takes. You have my full backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

While I agree that it is a disgrace they single out restricted breeds, and it is a disgrace for this particular case especially as there was somewhere for it to go, I think Minesajackdaniels makes some very valid points. With the reputation that the restricted breeds list carries, the general public may not support the objection, but support the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

I hope that pound manager can sleep tonight!! Its distusting, it really is.... these people are on a power trip and unfortunately any protesting will do nothing but inflate their egos. Its sickening... RIP dear pitbull.... this world was just too cruel fo you!!

Guys, that is absolutely disgraceful, but I personally would counsel that you do NOT go to the 'general public' and say this pound puts down APBTs without trying to rehome them.

I believe the current climate in Ireland is one of ignorance and fear against bull breed terriers, and until THAT changes, any publicisation of the fact that this pound puts them to sleep may result in SUPPORT for the pound, not criticism.

Better to circulate the news around informed animal lovers and rescue organisations so that the pound comes under pressure from those in the know and in the related fields of animal health care.

I could so easily imagine the pound manager on Joe Duffy going 'These dogs can't be trusted, how could I in good conscience rehome one of these animals to a family with children' and then he might support that by citing his own lengthy experience with dogs etc. etc. - I could see it do more harm than good. :-(

I understand what you are saying but nobody will stand up for these dogs this is not the first time this has happened and it wont be the last, the bottom line is and still taking into consideration the fear the public have of this breed i believe now is the time to stand up, there is no logic proof to back up the statement that any breed is more dangerous than the other and having owning apbt for the last 21 years like so many other responsible owners i can prove my dogs are not dangerous, i would like to ask the pound manager and DCC to explain their meaning of a dangerous dog is it by appearance or is it just a word connected to a cretin breed? i thought a dangerous dog is a dog that is out of control wanting to bite people and so on not a dog that licks your face and just wants its belly rubbed, regardless of the fear the public have of this breed this pound has not got the power to be putting these dogs down on the bases of breed it is not covered under the legislation, there is nothing in the control of dogs act 1986 or the amendment act 1992 that any dog should be killed because they are a certon breed, this alone is exceeding the power giving to them in this pound and they need to be reminded of this and if its not said now it never will because nobody will stand up and be counted, I for one wont be letting this go ill go to the end of the eirth to get to the bottom of this;)

daviddwyer wrote: »
    I hope that pound manager can sleep tonight!! Its distusting, it really is.... these people are on a power trip and unfortunately any protesting will do nothing but inflate their egos. Its sickening... RIP dear pitbull.... this world was just too cruel fo you!!
    im sure he sleeps very well a lot better than me and you david ;)

I wonder, has anyone (more articulate than me) been in touch with the ISPCA or DSPCA in relation to this pound managers policy on killing Pitbulls and Staffs?.

In relation to Joe Duffy, I also think that would be a waste of time due to the breed of dogs we're talking about.

Now if it was Beadles in a lab somewhere that'll be a different story of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Firstly, ringing the Council won't get you anywhere. You need to compile your facts and write to John Tierney, the City Manager and you need to keep writing and become a complete pain in the arse. Then I would suggest you contact every single City Councillor and write to them too and keep writing and become a pain in the arse. Then you need to keep copies of every bit of correspondence you send to the Council and if you do not get satisfactory response in an adequate time period you need to make a complaint to the Office of the Ombudsman. The Office of the Ombudsman will not rule on the issue at hand, i.e putting down the bull breeds but they will ask questions of the Council as to why they have not provided a response to your concerns.

Finally, I would suggest you make a Freedom of Information request in realtion to files held by the Council regarding Ashton and also on files held by Ashton. You would need to decide what specific information you are looking for as it can be a costly business. I have recently made an FOI request in relation to something (not this isuse and not with the Council) and I have been informed that it has put a rocket up the ass of the Department involved and they intend to investigate some of the matters I raised. An FOI request wouldn't be to get opinions but rather hard fact and copies of documents held by the Council and Ashton.

I think at this stage a demonstration and media coverage is a little bit premature. You need to compile facts and figures and you need to get some kind of written official response from the Council and then maybe go public. I know all of this takes time and more dogs will die but in my opinion all of the above is necessary.

I fully agree with Vel, although the subject is a highly emotional one we need to have our ducks in a row. Demonstrations etc usually barely raise an eyebrow with the public. We need to get to the core of the problem by going through official channels. I for one am a great believers in accumulation of paperwork and subtle pressure.

• Advertisement

One caustioning word about protests, and I posted about this before. Plus I've emailed Lilly in regards to it.

After a recent protest at DCC offices here in Dublin a couple of us got prompt home visits by the warden (guess who!) and the Gardai to check on licences etc.

So just be sure everything is above board, always!.

Advertisement