Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women Drivers!

Options
  • 12-11-2008 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I've just had the most embarrassing morning in work. I work on a roads building project so I drive around in a jeep most of the day.

Today I got stuck in the mud for the first time ever and had not a notion of how to get out. :o Had to enlist the help of four men to get me out! (I was about a foot in the mud and had the jeep bellied in it!) My face is still like a tomato I'm that embarrassed.

Sympathies please! All I'm getting here in work is slagging!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

As you should be! how did you manage to get a jeep stuck!!! :D

/me ducks and runs for cover!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Ah it could be worse. I looked like an eejit in the petrol station coz I couldnt get the cap off, had to get a lorry driver to help me..but its a new car so its ok :pac:

You should have put something under the jeep for the wheels to grip, or get somebody to pull you out

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Meh it could happen to a bishop. Among the best drivers I know(and i know some damn good drivers) two of them would be women.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

How do you drive into any surface without having some kind of realisation that you may get stuck in it?

Surely you could tell from looking at it that it may not have been the most solid surface?

No offence or anything... just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 T3h-mastr-cheef

*facepalm*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Well I was trying to turn around in an accommodation road (basically gravel lane with mucky verges on either side), but I misjudged it and managed to get my front wheels in the verge, which was saturated.

Got it out with the help of another jeep and a towrope and lots of revving (so I've a burned clutch now, bringing it to garage soon).

It was really really facepalm. Tbh there are stories about everyone on the site doing stupid things, I guess this is my one!

I suppose I should add that some jeeps are better than others for their four wheel drive ability, my one is pretty poor. It's not my driving ability I swear :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

www.carstuckgirls.com

Don't ask... NSFW-ish btw

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Ah it could be worse. I looked like an eejit in the petrol station coz I couldnt get the cap off, had to get a lorry driver to help me..but its a new car so its ok :pac:

You should have put something under the jeep for the wheels to grip, or get somebody to pull you out

Lol I did that too when I forst started driving :P
    Just think you'll have a funny story everyone who knows you will remember for years and it will be brought up at every family event, work do, xmas, .......... lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I don't understand why people have jeeps here if they can't use them properly.

Sorry op, not a personal dig at you, just a general observation on city driving.

btw, some of the worst drivers I see are middle aged men in the later stages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

*facepalm*

You signed up on a new account just to tell us that? I see you live by the make a good impression from the start philosophy...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

nothing worse than getting stuck ..... as a tractor driving person i have been stuck more times than i care to remember; its all part of the fun. Urs doesn't sound bad; just amunition for slagging

did ur 4 wheel drive not manage to get u out on its own :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,011 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Wibbs wrote: »
    Meh it could happen to a bishop. Among the best drivers I know(and i know some damn good drivers) two of them would be women.

Hopefully they were not the girl who nearly crashed into me on monday night:mad:

Coming upto a roundabout, there is 3 lanes i take the inside lane to go straght ahead onto the left lane of the Foyle Bride, there is a woman on the right hand lane which takes you out towards Limavady, anyways as we aproach the turn off to the bridge i am expecting her to continue on around but nope she insteads pulls left to go on the bridge. Now there is two lanes on the bridge so i was expecting her to take the right hand lane since i am already in the left hand lane but nope she pulls right in front of me making me slam on the brakes and thanking god there was no one behind me.

Sorry rant over

WindSock wrote: »
    I don't understand why people have jeeps here if they can't use them properly.

Sorry op, not a personal dig at you, just a general observation on city driving.

No offence taken! Tbh I'm not entirely comfortable with driving the jeep so I generally only drive it on the site. I'm far more comfortable driving my tiny car on the roads.
    Damomayo wrote: »
    nothing worse than getting stuck ..... as a tractor driving person i have been stuck more times than i care to remember; its all part of the fun. Urs doesn't sound bad; just amunition for slagging

did ur 4 wheel drive not manage to get u out on its own :(

Ah yeah it'll all just be good-natured slagging for the next week or so until someone else does something joke-worthy. :D

Nah the 4 wheel drive in my jeep seems to be next to useless. I was one of the last to start work here so I think it may have been "last in, worst jeep"!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

meh, I got stuck in my garden once, I hadn't used the car all weekend and it had pissed down, garden was a swamp. Poor car was on the grass, put some newspaper under the car and Hey Presto was out in a sec.
    Keep a newspaper or 2 in your bott just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

+1
    My dad and others of his age group didn't even have lessons. And they literally got their licences in the post once they filled out a form.
    The "women driver" generalisations make me lol...

Very true i think you can also add in them boy and girl racers who think there are invincible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Morgase wrote: »
    Well I was trying to turn around in an accommodation road (basically gravel lane with mucky verges on either side), but I misjudged it and managed to get my front wheels in the verge, which was saturated.

Got it out with the help of another jeep and a towrope and lots of revving (so I've a burned clutch now, bringing it to garage soon).

It was really really facepalm. Tbh there are stories about everyone on the site doing stupid things, I guess this is my one!

See? There's the real problem. Don't worry about bogging the 4x4, people make mistakes. The bigger mistake is the panic reaction to the first mistake! rev the crap out of it, get it outta there at all costs - that's the real mistake! If you screw up the best thing to do is calm down and analyse the current situation and the best way around it (which is seldom the way that the guys around you suggest - they don't care about your machine!).
    Also, now's a good time to find out how to engage the diff-lock.

Nah the 4 wheel drive in my jeep seems to be next to useless. I was one of the last to start work here so I think it may have been "last in, worst jeep"!

What is it as a matter of interest? (sorry, I frequent the Motors forum. I take interest in these kind of stories!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Jaysus it could happen to anyone :) good driver or no. Some of thte best drivers I know can't change a bloody tyre!

• Advertisement

TBH the slaggers sound ghey.
    This kind of thing happens all the time in proper manly persuits.
    Did they not dig under and shore up the wheel?? :confused:

Jaysus it could happen to anyone :) good driver or no. Some of thte best drivers I know can't change a bloody tyre!
    Exactly. It's not as if it's part of the driving test and it's a very rare occurrence. Frankly just thinking about the males in my life... well they wouldn't have a clue what to do if it happened to them either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dudess wrote: »
    Exactly. It's not as if it's part of the driving test and it's a very rare occurrence. Frankly just thinking about the males in my life... well they wouldn't have a clue what to do if it happened to them either.

I got a fuppin puncture during my first driving test and had to change it lol.

OT: OP they'll have something/someone else to slag in a few days :)

Biro wrote: »
    What is it as a matter of interest? (sorry, I frequent the Motors forum. I take interest in these kind of stories!)

Isuzu D-Max (for the non-motors people, it's basically a pick-up style jeep).

Everyone, I feel a lot better now after all your stories and commisserations. Thank you :)

I know them F1 drivers are lazy b's they dont even get out of the car to put in the petrol never mind changing the tire.:p

Isuzu D-Max (for the non-motors people, it's basically a pick-up style jeep).

Everyone, I feel a lot better now after all your stories and commisserations. Thank you :)

That should be OK, but then it depends on the tyres that are on it. Blame the tyres anyway! :D
    Did you shift it into 4WD L?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

They might make you lol, but you know they're true.... ;)

OP, wouldn't worry about it, I was glad several times to have a winch on the jeep I used to drive. If you're in a job where you actually need a 4x4, and not one of those D4 "need a BMW X5 for the school run" types, there's no shame in getting stuck once in a while. At least you need the jeep...

Biro wrote: »
    That should be OK, but then it depends on the tyres that are on it. Blame the tyres anyway! :D
    Did you shift it into 4WD L?

Heh I've just had this discussion with one of the lads, I always used 4H cause I didn't know the difference between 4H and 4L. I should've at least tried using the 4L :o
    Zzippy wrote: »
    OP, wouldn't worry about it, I was glad several times to have a winch on the jeep I used to drive. If you're in a job where you actually need a 4x4, and not one of those D4 "need a BMW X5 for the school run" types, there's no shame in getting stuck once in a while. At least you need the jeep...

Thank you :) I think I'm more ashamed of not knowing how to get unstuck rather than the actual getting stuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

+1
    My dad and others of his age group didn't even have lessons. And they literally got their licences in the post once they filled out a form.

I never took any lessons. *snigger*

Hey, but I passed my test first time. In Dublin, too, not one of those country ones where you just have to drive around a few country lanes without killing any livestock to prove you can drive competently. :D

Everyone does something silly once in a while. When I was buying my first Volvo, I didn't realise the gearstick had a collar to lift and pop it into reverse. I spent several minutes trying brute force and ignorance to get it into reverse. :rolleyes: When I finally found the collar by accident I was so relieved I promptly reversed into a fence. :o

• Advertisement

I think I'm more ashamed of not knowing how to get unstuck rather than the actual getting stuck!
    Why? And why is it bothering you at all?

Edit: that looks really aggressive - sorry! :o:

But what I mean is, why would you feel ashamed or embarrassed or bothered? Jeez, you've no need to be. Don't be caving into the "women driver" bullsh1t at all! :)

Advertisement