Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travelling to oz

Options
  • 09-11-2008 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

hi...is there anyone travellin to oz in jan, as i am... and alone.... scared...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

kathy_f wrote: »
    Im already here, but oz is pretty big you know, you might wanna be more specific!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Loads of people go on their own, there was a big thread on it before. If you do a search you should find it and it will make you feel better!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye, besides, its almost like travelling to a different county ,except its harder to get home! Theres so much irish over here, its ridiculous. Theres nothing to be scared off, except running out of money, and even then, someone can send some over to ya fairly easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The_B_Man wrote: »
    ye, besides, its almost like travelling to a different county ,except its harder to get home! Theres so much irish over here, its ridiculous. Theres nothing to be scared off, except running out of money, and even then, someone can send some over to ya fairly easy!

That reminds me, there was a young fella at the International Rules with a tricolour and on it in massive black writing was "Hi mum, can you send money?". I lol'd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Yea Im travelling alone to Oz in Jan but I plan on going around SE Asia for a bit first so I might not end up there till around March. It is scary but in a good way. Dont worry you will meet many people doing the same thing and feeling the same way. I cant wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I'm going in February on me own, a bit scared but not letting it worry me. Have heard from so many people and from reading about other peoples experiences on the internet and they all seem very positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 infacta

im heading in on the 19th of this month dont know anyone were im going yeah im worried bout it but its something new have a job and enuf money to get me by but hoping all will work out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 kathy_f

ya hopefully it that easy to get money.... wat bout jobs n that, is it easy to get one? am headn to sydney first, not really sure after dat

it can be easy enuf to get work but then again it also depens on what you work at you will always be able to get mun even if its crap jobs i got my job before i go but then again my plans dnt include comming back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

any rules on text speak here!!??

• Advertisement

BarryCreed wrote: »
    any rules on text speak here!!??

I guess your referring to the way i was writing on the tread.

infacta wrote: »
    I guess your referring to the way i was writing on the tread.

I'm only taking the mickey...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Actually infractra as a general rule, on boards, don't use text speak - ever - unless in a joking sense.

Kathy it depends on your line of work/what your looking for
    there is plenty of certain types of jobs, and not so much other types.

I can only comment on IT in sydney (as a developer) and there is a big slow down, I believe more companies are not willing to spend big money while the we are in the unknown here, I know my company is like that.
    But having said that some companies will hire short term staff exactly for that reason.

But if you are a nurse/teacher there seems to be always work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I seen an ad in the paper the other day looking for male and female models aged between 18-30 that said it was really well paid. Was thinkin about goin for it myself, ya know, coz im such a looker n all like! :p

but ye, there does be a good few jobs in the papers. If you look through them, as well as joining a load of agencies, ya should be able to get a job easy enough. Even if you're just looking for waitress/bar work. not to mention the extra casual jobs going aroudn the xmas period for shops etc.

another thing thoug, you cant get a job in a pub unless you have an RSA card. RSA=Responsible Supply of Alcohol. its like a 4 hour course tellin ya not to serve 12 yr olds and overly drunk people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

As an aside, as it was mentioned above, if you read the forum charter text speak is not allowed. It hurts mine and most other people's eyes. Just bear that in mind please.

On topic, it's great to see so many people taking the plunge by themselves. I'm sure you'll all get a lot out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

im heading in febuary meself to perth and hope to have my missus follow me over a few months later:o

I seen an ad in the paper the other day looking for male and female models aged between 18-30 that said it was really well paid. Was thinkin about goin for it myself, ya know, coz im such a looker n all like! :p

but ye, there does be a good few jobs in the papers. If you look through them, as well as joining a load of agencies, ya should be able to get a job easy enough. Even if you're just looking for waitress/bar work. not to mention the extra casual jobs going aroudn the xmas period for shops etc.

another thing thoug, you cant get a job in a pub unless you have an RSA card. RSA=Responsible Supply of Alcohol. its like a 4 hour course tellin ya not to serve 12 yr olds and overly drunk people.

ya i heard bout that course alrite, n it pricey enough. to be honest i dont can wat kinda job i get, jus as long as ther is money comin in n i can stay in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Kathy you will find that Australia is a pretty laid back country and if you are willing to give it a fair go you will be treated with respect.

dSTAR wrote: »
    Kathy you will find that Australia is a pretty laid back country and if you are willing to give it a fair go you will be treated with respect.

oh that wil happen, i realy wanna see teh place, but jus afraid of not gettn work like, i no a girl who went over in oct, n she came home on friday she couldnt get work like

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

oh that wil happen, i realy wanna see teh place, but jus afraid of not gettn work like, i no a girl who went over in oct, n she came home on friday she couldnt get work like

Seriously? I find it hard to believe that she couldn't get some form of work. Was she willing to think outside the box? I mean, was it just that she couldn't get a job in a particular area?

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Seriously? I find it hard to believe that she couldn't get some form of work. Was she willing to think outside the box? I mean, was it just that she couldn't get a job in a particular area?

maybe that was it.... so i guessn it easy enough to get work... am headn to sydney first, hopefully stay there for a while, n head up the coast then

maybe that was it.... so i guessn it easy enough to get work... am headn to sydney first, hopefully stay there for a while, n head up the coast then

Please not text speak!!!

hussey wrote: »
    Please not text speak!!!

it is jus habit now

it is jus habit now

Please break it, people won't like it if you use it

delta-goodrem-pictures-8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Why Hussey

I never knew you were so good looking lol

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Kathy

Don't worry you'll be grand. It’s both scare and exciting to be standing in a new city the other side of the world from home.

But when you get yourself sorted with a few new friends a job and things you will fill more alive than you ever have. You'll feel that now you're really living.

Well at least that was the way I felt.

Aussies n Kiwis are laid back and friendly.

Just go with an open mind and willing to experience new things and you'll have a blast.

Drop by OzEire.com and let us know how you go .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Get a job in freemantle and you will have a blast and will always feel near home because there are soo many Irish around there.

I will be there in April. I will keep a look out for somebody talking like a mobile phone.

I'd love to live and work in Freo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Whats all this talk about WA? Their footy teams suck and their beer and girls don't fare much better. ;)

Melbourne ftw. At least this is the spiritual home of footy and we have half decent beers and babes.

If you don't find a job in Melbourne you wont find a job anywhere.

Advertisement