Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to eat in Cork?

Options
  • 08-11-2008 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm looking for somewhere kinda quirky and cool to eat with a group of friends next Sat night. (Somewhere with a DJ playing in the corner would be fabulous!). Just somewhere with a nice atmosphere and good music, medium price range I guess. Cheers.:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SelmaB

Ok,maybe a DJ is asking for too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Newport on paul street? Big selection, relatively good food and competitive pricing. Bit of music too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Cool and quirky? I'm actually stumped =/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Café Mexicana is pretty funky...

and tastes like crap. I would love if someone opened a proper Mexican taqueria in Cork.... we need some Mexicans pronto!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

RE: Cafe Mexicana
    D-Generate wrote: »
    and tastes like crap. I would love if someone opened a proper Mexican taqueria in Cork.... we need some Mexicans pronto!

Agreed... I was in there a few weeks back... so excited going in... so dissapointed coming out!!! I got the chicken burito.. absolutely no flavour whatsoever (maybe a bit salty) and EXPENSIVE. I felt like picketing the place for a half an hour to save some people from the experience. Sorry for going off topic but that place is an absolute disgrace.Rant over.

Back on topic.. i think newport is a good suggestion if you want choons.. you're gonna sacrifice the standard of the food for choons like..

P.S.. I've heard good things about the cornstore wine-bar and grill on the Coal Quay too..

T

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Best bet would be the Cornstore or the Newport. Mayb Soho on the Grand Parade also.

Cafe Mexicana= dump. Better off getting one of them ol del paso dinner kits than going there. Cant understand how it gets any business at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Amicus but not great, Scoozies is good, Ginos if you like Pizza, Cafe bar deli if you like italian. Bullys is nice but small but have a good early deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

d3mon24 wrote: »
    Best bet would be the Cornstore or the Newport. Mayb Soho on the Grand Parade also.

Cafe Mexicana= dump. Better off getting one of them ol del paso dinner kits than going there. Cant understand how it gets any business at all

One of their hot rocks ... jaysus their nice

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Italian - Padrinos

Indian - Eastern Tandoori

Thai - Ruen Thai

Other mentions - Amicus, Banna Thai, Isaacs.............

Plenty of places for tunes after the grub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

depends on price range though and have been disappointed a lot with Isaacs on numerous occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

MArket lane is good

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Just had a munch in Prendavils new place, The Boardwalk. The staff were really friendly. I reckon it would be nice at night. But not cheap at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Luigi malones is nice, but very pricy and not a cork exclusive or anything.

Ecos in douglas is pretty nice

I really like probys bistro, theres on in douglas and one near the cathedral, the food there is savage (maybe they moved or something).

Theres an african themed resturant near the middle of patricks street, its on the east side near river or one of those clothes shops, cant remember the name of it for the life of me, really nice though.

I love a good burger myself (im a pretty plain eater as you can see from my choices anyway ha), captain americas on north main street is really nice, or brennigans in mahon point shopping centre.

Also for the mexicana haters, I think its quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Annie's Gastropub in Sundays Well is one of the best places for food in Cork at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SelmaB

Thanks a million for all the suggestions. Still haven't decided though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

seclachi wrote: »

I love a good burger myself (im a pretty plain eater as you can see from my choices anyway ha), captain americas on north main street is really nice, or brennigans in mahon point shopping centre.

For a decent tasty burger have you ever tried Liberty Grill on Washington St (across from Reardons) thought it was nice the one time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Theres an african themed resturant near the middle of patricks street, its on the east side near river or one of those clothes shops, cant remember the name of it for the life of me, really nice though.

Zanzibar! Ate there a few times, its rarely mentioned despite a very central location, not sure I could class the food as distinctly african, lot of random stuff but enjoyed my meal both times, and nice view over Pana if you like that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Zanzibar! Ate there a few times, its rarely mentioned despite a very central location, not sure I could class the food as distinctly african, lot of random stuff but enjoyed my meal both times, and nice view over Pana if you like that :D

Yea i got a nice pizza there, and my friends got burgers, so its not exactly african cuisine (im not sure what that would be anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Yeah I've been to Zanzibaars a few times too. Its decent restaurant with nice and varied dishes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

so its not exactly african cuisine (im not sure what that would be anyway)
    I was teaching in Gambia at the start of the year and their traditional dishes consisted of:
    Chicken, beef or fish cooked in a tomato-based sauce with garlic and peppers servered with potatoes and rice.
    Chicken served with fried onions and peppers, served with rice.
    Chicken served in a peanut, tomato and pepper sauce, served with rice.

So, do they have any of that on their menu?:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

I'd have to go with the Boqueria on Bridge Street, great place to meet friends for some grub and there's always a real buzz about the place... best tapas in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

might be a bit late but I reckon Soho would suit the OP best...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Sorry for gatecrashing but has anyone ever eaten in Clancys Bar off Oliver Plunkett st? Just wondering cos I'm taking my mum there this evening for dinner. Looked at the menu online and it looks good...but does it taste good?!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Kitty_N

I ate in Zanzibaar a few years back and it was ok, nothing special but ok.

Went there last March and the food was inedible. It was, without exaggeration, the worst meal I have ever eaten (or not eaten) in my entire life.

The chicken in my chicken pasta dish was the stuff that you buy in packets to put in sandwichs and it was served with a cheesy gelatinous mush. I couldn't even send it back because I was afraid of what I'd get as a replacement. Just a warning:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

Kitty_N wrote: »
    The chicken in my chicken pasta dish was the stuff that you buy in packets to put in sandwichs and it was served with a cheesy gelatinous mush. I couldn't even send it back because I was afraid of what I'd get as a replacement. Just a warning:)

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 seventhwave

It has also been a few years for me since I ate in the Zanzibaar. On the last visit I was asked how I would like my chicken done? rare, medium or well done! I was gobsmacked!!! Have not ventured back since

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You guys got off lightly on your Zanzibar experiences. I thought the arse was going to fall from underneath me after my first, and last visit to Zanzibar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 John Lentil

SelmaB wrote: »
    Thanks a million for all the suggestions. Still haven't decided though!
    Obviously weeks late, but I'd recommend An Cruibin. Very nicely done Tapas, a "Bohemian" feel, and any bar which plays Os Mutantes first album followed by a Microdisney compilation would get my vote even if the food was sheg (which it wasn't).

I've been in Cork a few months and leave in a few days. To think I only went there for the first time last week :-(

Advertisement