Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you ever see the Aussies vote for an Aborigine as PM?

Options
  • 05-11-2008 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Obama gets elected.
    I know it's slightly different circumstances and history etc, but any of you ever think you could imagine Aussies voting in an Aboriginal politician to lead the country , or are there many in parliament at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

BarryCreed wrote: »
    Obama gets elected.
    I know it's slightly different circumstances and history etc, but any of you ever think you could imagine Aussies voting in an Aboriginal politician to lead the country , or are there many in parliament at the moment?

Please take this to the politics forum, I don't think many people are up on their aboriginal history/culture

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Does that reply not illustrate part of his point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

hussey wrote: »
    Please take this to the politics forum, I don't think many people are up on their aboriginal history/culture

Well, that's a point well made right there with that response. I suppose I meant it as a more general question rather than talking politics...

ok, let me rephrase it and take "or are there many in parliament at the moment".

How about just: Would the Aussies ever vote an Aborginal politcian to be PM?

Yes and no, my point was that I didn't really want to see a thread that was full of "all aboriginals are x, y and z".

But to answer the OP, no I cannot see that for the foreseeable future. Mainly due to they only represent 2.5% of the population, and because they live in their own lands and try to keep out of the westernised Australian way of life.

My 2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye i think that any of the abodigidies that are in parliament at the moment are too low down the chain to be considered to be put forward.

In the future i suppose its possible but by then they'll be even more outnumbered by us whiteys so chances are there'll be even more whiteys ahead in the pecking order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Obama gets elected.
    You should be looking for somebody half aboriginal, half white who was brought up around white people his whole life to make it a fair comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not a snowballs chance in hell during our lifetime anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Not a snowballs chance in hell during our lifetime anyway.
    Agreed,
    Not for a long long time, sure it was only in the last year that the government finally apologised for stealing all the children and separating them from other aboriginies to stop them reproducing in order to phase out their race.

Agreed,
    Not for a long long time, sure it was only in the last year that the government finally apologised for stealing all the children and separating them from other aboriginies to stop them reproducing in order to phase out their race.

that's not why they apologised, but I understand your point

• Advertisement

Yes it is.

"Prime Minister Kevin Rudd apologised in parliament to all Aborigines for laws and policies that "inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss".
    He singled out the "Stolen Generations" of thousands of children forcibly removed from their families." - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7241965.stm

"The new Australian government of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd will apologize for past mistreatment of the country's Aboriginal minority when Parliament convenes next month, addressing an issue that has blighted race relations in Australia for years.

But the most lasting damage was done by the policy of removing Aboriginal children and placing them either with white families or in state institutions as part of a drive to assimilate them with the white population."- http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/30/asia/australia.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 dennisthemennis

You should be looking for somebody half aboriginal, half white who was brought up around white people his whole life to make it a fair comparison.

this.

separating them from other aborigines to stop them reproducing in order to phase out their race.

This part then

This part then
    :confused:
    "policy of removing Aboriginal children and placing them either with white families or in state institutions as part of a drive to assimilate them with the white population"

:confused:
    "policy of removing Aboriginal children and placing them either with white families or in state institutions as part of a drive to assimilate them with the white population"

That is opinion, there was never any hint of that in the speech.

here is full text http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=379056

That is opinion, there was never any hint of that in the speech.

here is full text http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=379056

The third line - "We reflect in particular on the mistreatment of those who were Stolen Generations - this blemished chapter in our nation's history."

Are you trying to wind me up?

The third line - "We reflect in particular on the mistreatment of those who were Stolen Generations - this blemished chapter in our nation's history."

Are you trying to wind me up?

I don't think you are following me, he apologised for mistreating them, he never apologised for "to stop them reproducing in order to phase out their race."

as I said this is opinion

I don't you are following me
    What does that mean?:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Aborigines are for the most part treated like second hand citizens. It may be all well and good PM Rudd apologizing to the 'stolen generation' and to all the other aborigines who suffered at the hands of past administrations. He recently called together a talking shop of Australia's wealthiest and most powerful to create an extra 700,000 new jobs for the natives. But as any 'black fella' knows them is just words.

Why are so many still living in slums and shanty towns that would make Soweto look glamorous? Why are the aborigines of the Northern Territory having half of their welfare payments quarantined to supposedly counteract alcoholism and child abuse? While at the same time being forced to travel hundreds of kilometers by taxi to the nearest big chain supermarket because the local stores wont accept their food stamps and there is no local transport?

People in Melbourne are up in arms if their trains are more than five minutes late and they have to stand for their 20 minute journey into the city. The transport minister will jump through hoops to ensure everything is being done to alleviate the problem. Unless these kinds of inequalities are addressed I don't hold out much hope of an aboriginal person coming to power because most white Australians don't want to acknowledge that this is the case in their 'lucky country'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

brendansmith.. Hussey is allowed to disagree with you. As long as neither of you are personally abusive there's no problem with it. I don't think he is doing it to wind you up.

However, in the cause of continuing this thread constructively, how about you both agree to disagree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

I would have to say no.
    The general australian population wouldn't vote for an Aboriginal.
    Also i really doubt there is a significant amount of aboriginal voters to back a candidate.

Post again in around 150 to 200 years.

true I suppose....

But....

if you look at the USA in 1968, there's no black person then could have predicted a black president (ok, I know his mammy was white....)

So it's not unbelievable to think one (in Aus) could be PM or state leader in 20/30 years time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

OT, but...

Reports suggest Obama might ask Australia for more troops in Afghanistan!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭wordcount

nO even the msot pleseant and liberal Aussies have blind spot when it comes to how rascist they are in relatiion to the Abbos as they call em,

So it's not unbelievable to think one (in Aus) could be PM or state leader in 20/30 years time.....

yes but blacks in america take up alot more than 2.5% of the population, and of that 2.5% maybe 30-40% live on their own lands away from mainstream culture.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    OT, but...

Reports suggest Obama might ask Australia for more troops in Afghanistan!
    Really? Link:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

It has been suggested in The Age amongst other places recently.

Link

yes but blacks in america take up alot more than 2.5% of the population, and of that 2.5% maybe 30-40% live on their own lands away from mainstream culture.

that's another can of worms...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

wordcount wrote: »
    nO even the msot pleseant and liberal Aussies have blind spot when it comes to how rascist they are in relatiion to the Abbos as they call em,

:eek:

First of all, only scumbags use that term and their views and comments shouldn't represent the rest of us.

I grew up with many Koori's (Indigenous people from Victoria) and have a great respect for their culture and for them in general. Yes, there are a lot of issues that they face today, because of terrible treatment from previous governments, etc. But to state that most of us are racist against them is a gross misrepresentation of the Australian public, and really is very untrue. I also believe that your comment that we are blind to our racism is also untrue- many of us are well aware that there are a minority of people who are racist towards them. Unfortunately many of us feel powerless to improve things in the communities and to battle systems that have been entrenched from previous generations, and maybe foreigners view this as being racist?

And to answer the OP question- yes there are many indigenous people in politics on a State and local level. I always vote for the candidate with the best policies regardless of their looks, gender, ethnic background- so if an Indigenous person was running and their policies appealed to me, then it goes without saying that I would vote for them. And if the American people are able to do the same, then I see no reason why we wouldn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement