Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crashing and then losing your confidence

Options
  • 05-11-2008 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, trying not to be a morbid thread but all posts welcome

Would it be typical after being involved in a crash to be very relucant to go back cycling again?
    For example, I used to do laps of Howth by myself but got knocked down and it was about 2 months before I used the bike again.
    I lost my bottle so to speak.
    And if I decided to commute on the bike I'd be stressing about traffic and junctions before I even left the house.

While I could weave through traffic fearlessly on a moped I suddenly lost all confidence on a bicycle.
    The longer you leave it to restart cycling the harder it gets.....

Or are you just fearless and it's just me? :(
    Back cycling again and lovin it but I certainly took my time getting my head sorted after the accident.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

In a word... "yes". After any fall, you will be cautious in a similar situation. It takes a varying amount of time to get confidence back, but you do eventually I think. For example, I came off going around a roundabout and lost a tooth back in April, and I'm still a little wary going round them now.

The only way to sort it out is to get back out riding though, the more you do it, the easier it'll become!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Personally I was knocked down a few years ago and yes, it really took me a good while to really get back into it again. I have had spills that were my own fault both before and since but they didn't affect me so much, but being knocked over completely out of my control affected my confidence a lot more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I've started racing again......two years go, IVCA. Sorrento.

Did Phoenix Park circuits (races) in the early 80's. Speed circuits. Dynamite.

Hibernia CCR.

50 yrs old this year. Bustle n Tustle.
    Get in ........good craic!
    Drop the stool, go home and prep the bike.
    Throw yourself in.

I'd never look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I broke my collorbone and dislocated my shoulder back in July coming down a mountian. I'm back on the bike but I have lost all confidence in decending hills/mountains. I never realy liked decending but I am seriously taking my time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I'm quite cautious at the spot where I came off on ice last year, particularly on cold mornings. No harm in a bit of caution - but you will get back confidence over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I was knocked off a month ago. Haven't got back on yet. In my defence I had/have whiplash, and a bit sore here and there. I also need a new helmet which I haven't got around to getting. Took the opportunity to leave the bike in to get checked out and serviced. Kinda annoys me now even when I pass the spot in the car. Its not on my usual route on the bike, but is in the car. Still keen to get back out, as I was in much better mood when I was cycling

Advertisement