Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GHD

Options
  • 04-11-2008 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

ok ladies, quick one for ye. My girlfriends b-day is comin up in a few weeks and im not sure what to get her. I was thinkin of getting her a new GHD. She has one already,but its an old one, still works fine (as far as i know),but she can never remember if she has turned it off or not everytime we go anywhere.
    My question is, is there a new one that turns itself off after a while so that the house doesnt burn down?
    And secondly, is this a good idea for a present? (im a very practical guy and i think its a great idea, but im not sure if she'll think the same:o)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

Yea, GHD is a great present, for someone who doesn't already have one thougt. Maybe its just be being selfish :D, but I'd feel like it was a waste of a present

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

+1 for it being a great present but not if she has one. My one is a good few years old now, possibly 5 this christmas and it works just fine. She should just get into a habit of plugging it out completely rather than relying on it turning itself off I'm afraid. I wouldn't trust it to turn itself off anyway. Nice idea though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

hmmm back to the drawing board i guess.

thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I don't think you can one to turn itself off. They're really bad for your hair anyway but us ladies can put them down. If she has one i wouldn't bother getting another. Sounds like its more a did i leave the cooker on syndrome than a ghd issue. As previous poster said she should plug it out when she's finished. There was an issue with these a few years back where they went on fire if they were plugged in bùt turned off. Think thats long gone now though. Could get her a hairdresser voucher or spa voucher maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Yes!! They have a built in machanism now that if they're left unused for half an hour they shut down and go into "Sleep mode"
    I bought one just last week...(Eh - the price has gone up!! - but worth it!)
    It was a white one i bought, one of the limited edition type ones you can get in black pink or White. I assume the regular ones have the same functions!

But i think i'd agree with the last poster. i'mm not sure i'd want a newer version of something i already have... i could think of mor ethings i'd want, haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

You can get the new models on HQHair.com for about 120 or 130 .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RuthyB

Ya my one has a sleep function too. Leave it unused for 30 mins and it goes into 'standby'.

I wouldnt get her a new one OP unless her other one is on the blink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

698076.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i would probably beat my OH with them, if he bought them for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah If I got a GHD I'd be like "what on earth?!". My mum gave me a hair curler one Christmas...my hair's about as curly as it gets naturally.

• Advertisement

Presents that men think are practical suck.
    Seriously I have been given a cordless power drill in the past.

Presents should be frivilous things that it is indecent to buy for yourself.

Usually it would seem a bit silly to buy your girlfriend a new GHD if she has one already. However, if she has quite long hair, and she has one of the old narrow GHD's then you could think about buying her one of the wide ones? Just a thought, but no, don't think you can get one that switches off.

have to agree with moonbaby! if her GHD breaks she'd replace it herself, buy her something she wouldn't dream of spending money on - much better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Moonbaby wrote: »

Presents should be frivilous things that it is indecent to buy for yourself.

I was given a pink toolkit.

I've also been given much lingerie. Not an entirely selfless gift...:)

If she already had one, she'd like something different I think.

Maybe it was one of those things that he got you but planned on using it himself, just an excuse to get himself a shiny new cordless drill :P

Ok, anyone have any suggestions? (general ones, cause ye dont know her etc.) seeing as my idea was shot down in a ball of flames:o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i got a brilliant cordless power drill one christmas, it was one of the best present i got.

there were 3,000 pieces with it and it came in a huge carry case that i cant really lift and has two power packs.

seriously, it is the bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

i got a brilliant cordless power drill one christmas, it was one of the best present i got.

there were 3,000 pieces with it and it came in a huge carry case that i cant really lift and has two power packs.

seriously, it is the bomb

Want!

Mackman wrote: »
    Maybe it was one of those things that he got you but planned on using it himself, just an excuse to get himself a shiny new cordless drill :P

Ok, anyone have any suggestions? (general ones, cause ye dont know her etc.) seeing as my idea was shot down in a ball of flames:o

maybe a '00 renault megane coupe!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Yeah, a car! Or a brand-new MacBook, one of the latest ones! Or sex toys! Or lingerie! Or Benefit Maybe Baby perfume! Or a new watch! Or jewellery! Or the Sex and the City complete DVD box set! Come to think of it, Bones series 1-3 DVD box sets!

(Can you tell these are all things that I want for Christmas?)

shellyboo wrote: »
    Yeah, a car! Or a brand-new MacBook, one of the latest ones! Or sex toys! Or lingerie! Or Benefit Maybe Baby perfume! Or a new watch! Or jewellery! Or the Sex and the City complete DVD box set! Come to think of it, Bones series 1-3 DVD box sets!

(Can you tell these are all things that I want for Christmas?)

Car - Not a chance:P
    MacBook - im not made of money!! (unfortunatly)
    Sex toys- .....hmmmm interesting......
    Lingerie - not a bad idea, that usually goes down well. Works out for both parties involved ;)
    Perfume - She has enough of that, about 23 bottles of the stuff
    Watch - Arent watches bad luck?
    Jewellery - she has enough of that too
    Sex and the City Box set - now theres an idea, she was on about that before, but then ill have to watch some of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Sex toys- .....hmmmm interesting......

Be wary with this one, if she's not into that kind of thing she may beat you to death with her brand-new dildo :)

Watch - Arent watches bad luck?

Yeah, a watch is a parting gift - but if you put money in the box (like a 20c coin) then it negates the bad luck since you're giving money as well! So my mammy tells me.

Sex and the City Box set - now theres an idea, she was on about that before, but then ill have to watch some of it :(

She can pay you back by wearing the lingerie, lol

• Advertisement

shellyboo wrote: »
    She can pay you back by wearing the lingerie, lol

and beating me to death with ner brand-new dildo :P

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK, I think you have plenty of suggestions there. In future please start any threads requesting help with buying presents in the Gift, Festivity & Party Ideas forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement