Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Just as an aside, can anyone point to me online where the results are for the St. Patricks Day 5k. Haven't received an email and the site is still only asking for online entries.
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BKWDR wrote: »
    Just as an aside, can anyone point to me online where the results are for the St. Patricks Day 5k. Haven't received an email and the site is still only asking for online entries.
    Thanks in advance
    Here you go: Precision Timing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Here you go: Precision Timing

Go raibh maith agat

digger2d2 wrote: »
    And the contents of Meno and ecoli's respective stomachs ;):D
    There's a couple of spots where the weeds just won't grow and the grit just won't stick. A shrine to that historic day.

Thursday: 5.5 + 4 miles recovery
    Felt a little tired and stiff (largely down to the knock-on effect of not taking an easy/rest day after Sunday's race, so took it super easy. 5.5 miles on the grass at lunch time (found myself half a mile up the road, before I regained conscious will and turned back for the park and safety of the grass). Followed up with another easy recovery in the evening, but only had time for four miles, between cooking dinner and heading rock climbing. Family headed off to the climbing centre and entered a Bouldering competition. As expected, daughter surged ahead, knocking out 14/20 problems, with myself and son tying with around 9/20 problems each, and boss-lady chasing in our shadows.
    Summary: 9.5 miles @~8:17/mile

Friday: Coffee run + 12x200m @3K, with 200m jog
    Narrowly averted a family tragedy, when I noticed we only had enough coffee beans for one cup of coffee tomorrow. Would have been a fight to the death. So re-directed my warm-up to take in a couple of reputable coffee-sellers, who clearly aren't used to sweaty, scantily clad strange looking folk, gracing their stores. Headed onwards to the track in blustery, damp cool conditions. Strong wind was blowing SSW, so a moment of indecision, before I figured I'd start the 200s into the headwind and finish with a longer tailwind. Not much point, I figured, in torturing myself and running 70% of the reps into the strong wind. Again, an entirely new type of session for me, so had no idea how hard it might turn out to be.

200m reps: 37/36/36/36/35/36/35/36/36/36/36/35/34
    Recoveries: 55/54/56/56/57/56/56/54/55/54/55/54

The more astute may notice that I did 13 reps instead of 12, as once again, I failed in my miserable attempt to count to 12 (how I've survived this long in my job without being found out continues to amaze me). In terms of challenge, I would describe it as a moderately difficult session. I've done very little running at this kind of pace (4:54/mile or 3:04/km) so the pace feels a little alien, but I recover quickly and the wind certainly helped. Still, I could've done without that extra rep!
    Summary: 10 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Was the coffee ok?

Itziger wrote: »
    Was the coffee ok?
    Nobody was murdered!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

200m reps: 37/36/36/36/35/36/35/36/36/36/36/35/34
    Recoveries: 55/54/56/56/57/56/56/54/55/54/55/54

Nice consistency there

Yesterday: 4 mile recovery run
    Kind of miscalculated my weekly allotment of miles, so four miles seemed like the lowest amount of miles I could do and still qualify it as a recovery run. Two miles uphill into the wind, and two nice easy miles back home.

Today: 19 miles including 6x45s surges
    Met up with TRR and Dublin Runner, and had a very enjoyable run around Phoenix Park before stopping off at the cars and bumping into KielyUnusual, who joined us for a second loop inside the park. Good banter saw the miles flying by at around 6:50/mile. Said goodbye to the lads after 16.5 miles and did a smaller loop around the Áras and the Polo grounds to tick of the 45 seconds surges at 5k pace. The first one was a little tough with the growing stiffness from the previous miles, but the legs loosened up a little afterwards. They were nice and easy down Chesterfield Avenue, with the wind behind me, a little tougher into the wind past the Polo ground and then easy again down Chesterfield once more. On the second last one, I was catching one of those runners who just doesn't like to be passed. As I neared him, he must have heard me and picked up the pace. after 45 seconds I slowed and he seemed to slow too. Until the next rep, where I drew near him again, and once again, he accelerated so that he wouldn't be passed. Maybe it was just coincidence, but it seemed a little cringey. Anyway, a a total of just over 19 miles, and a very enjoyable run, wrapping up a solid 85 mile week.

Summary: ~19.1 miles, in ~2:10, @~6:49/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

On the second last one, I was catching one of those runners who just doesn't like to be passed. As I neared him, he must have heard me and picked up the pace. after 45 seconds I slowed and he seemed to slow too. Until the next rep, where I drew near him again, and once again, he accelerated so that he wouldn't be passed. Maybe it was just coincidence, but it seemed a little cringey.

I had a similar experience today on my LSR with this chick. I was maintaining my pace while she passed me by. I kept catching her at traffic lights and then shed speed off again. When the traffic lights ran out she bolted off ahead into the distance. After a couple of miles I passed her out as she was clutching her side , mostly likely had a stitch. I laughed evily to myself as I trotted past her.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

As I neared him, he must have heard me and picked up the pace. after 45 seconds I slowed and he seemed to slow too. Until the next rep, where I drew near him again, and once again, he

we would have been doing that in the mountains - but you took the easy option and ran with the tallaght lads....:)

we would have been doing that in the mountains - but you took the easy option and ran with the tallaght lads....:)
    As TRR dragged us up Knockmaroon Hill, I wondered if your long run would have been less hilly! Are you staying in Connemara after the race? Would be good to meet up for a pint (or a Whiskey) afterwards. Will be staying in Clifden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

As TRR dragged us up Knockmaroon Hill, I wondered if your long run would have been less hilly! Are you staying in Connemara after the race? Would be good to meet up for a pint (or a Whiskey) afterwards. Will be staying in Clifden.

Absolutely. Staying down on the sunday with a few but will be staying in Galway though. I'm sure a sneaky pint/whiskey can be arranged.....

Monday: 6.5 miles + 5 miles easy
    The kind of weather that makes you wish you had a sneaky little treadmill, tucked into a cubby room in the house. Had planned to run at lunch time, but work commitments saw me heading out just before 5pm (a long time since breakfast), for a 6.5 mile easy run. Got drowned. Back to work for another hour and I hadn't even dried off by the time I got drowned a second time on the motorcycle on the way home. Arrived home and headed out for another depressing 5 miles in the rain and cold. Basically soaked from 4pm - 8pm. Wet day.
    Summary: 11.5 miles @~7:30/mile

Tuesday: Strength Endurance Hill Circuit
    An interruption to normal programming - trying to get the training plan to line up a little better with some season races (which I haven't really nailed down either), so I'm taking a week out from the schedule, and just doing some maintenance work/sessions. Will get back on normal plan again next week. You can never have enough faffing around like an idiot though, so I added a strength endurance session, which doesn't seem to tire me as much as a more traditional session. Having said that, by the time I hit the cool-down miles I was in a fairly depleted state and had to stop for a few seconds to recuperate. Again it was a work-delayed lunch run (just before 4pm), so poor nutrition and a dodgy stomach are the likely cause.
    Summary: 13.11 miles in 1:44

Wednesday: 8 x 1,600m @threshold w/30 seconds recovery
    Seeing as I'm off plan, I reckoned I'd do this session from JD Plan A, which has always served me well, when preparing for slightly longer distances (10 miles - 1/2 marathon). It's always a bit of a bruiser, particularly when you haven't been doing much threshold-paced work, so I was keen to see how hard it would be.

Intervals (1,600m): 5:43/5:43/5:44/5:42/5:42/5:42/5:43/5:40
    Recovery: 31 seconds (average)

I was aiming for around 5:40-5:41 per rep, but the legs were still a little tired from either Sunday's long run, or yesterday's hill circuits, so I wasn't too bothered about pushing any harder. They are what they are. From a cardio perspective, it went really well and the intervals didn't get tough until close to the end of the 7th rep, so clearly the 5k paced work is making everything else feel a little easier. As always, the 30 second recoveries were almost imaginary, such was there fleeting presence. Basically hit 'lap', come to a stop, turn around, walk back a bit, turn around again, look at watch, notice 25 seconds are gone - start running. Again, was approaching bonk-status on my cool-down (I really must start bringing a post-workout sandwich with me in future!), but a three mile uphill run is a cruel way to finish a session.
    Summary: 14.6 miles @6:32/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Monday: 6.5 miles + 5 miles easy
    The kind of weather that makes you wish you had a sneaky little treadmill, tucked into a cubby room in the house. Had planned to run at lunch time, but work commitments saw me heading out just before 5pm (a long time since breakfast), for a 6.5 mile easy run. Got drowned. Back to work for another hour and I hadn't even dried off by the time I got drowned a second time on the motorcycle on the way home. Arrived home and headed out for another depressing 5 miles in the rain and cold. Basically soaked from 4pm - 8pm. Wet day.
    Summary: 11.5 miles @~7:30/mile

Tuesday: Strength Endurance Hill Circuit
    An interruption to normal programming - trying to get the training plan to line up a little better with some season races (which I haven't really nailed down either), so I'm taking a week out from the schedule, and just doing some maintenance work/sessions. Will get back on normal plan again next week. You can never have enough faffing around like an idiot though, so I added a strength endurance session, which doesn't seem to tire me as much as a more traditional session. Having said that, by the time I hit the cool-down miles I was in a fairly depleted state and had to stop for a few seconds to recuperate. Again it was a work-delayed lunch run (just before 4pm), so poor nutrition and a dodgy stomach are the likely cause.
    Summary: 13.11 miles in 1:44

Wednesday: 8 x 1,600m @threshold w/30 seconds recovery
    Seeing as I'm off plan, I reckoned I'd do this session from JD Plan A, which has always served me well, when preparing for slightly longer distances (10 miles - 1/2 marathon). It's always a bit of a bruiser, particularly when you haven't been doing much threshold-paced work, so I was keen to see how hard it would be.

Intervals (1,600m): 5:43/5:43/5:44/5:42/5:42/5:42/5:43/5:40
    Recovery: 31 seconds (average)

I was aiming for around 5:40-5:41 per rep, but the legs were still a little tired from either Sunday's long run, or yesterday's hill circuits, so I wasn't too bothered about pushing any harder. They are what they are. From a cardio perspective, it went really well and the intervals didn't get tough until close to the end of the 7th rep, so clearly the 5k paced work is making everything else feel a little easier. As always, the 30 second recoveries were almost imaginary, such was there fleeting presence. Basically hit 'lap', come to a stop, turn around, walk back a bit, turn around again, look at watch, notice 25 seconds are gone - start running. Again, was approaching bonk-status on my cool-down (I really must start bringing a post-workout sandwich with me in future!), but a three mile uphill run is a cruel way to finish a session.
    Summary: 14.6 miles @6:32/mile

Wow, 30 seconds rec. Sounds tough alright. Now if the reps were km instead of miles....... As for nearly bonking, after a session like that I'd definitely recommend a bit of sugar and/or salt in some form. An old cereal bar, few biscuits or sambo as you say. Had a right nasty experience once a s a result of not eating.

Itziger wrote: »
    Wow, 30 seconds rec. Sounds tough alright. Now if the reps were km instead of miles....... As for nearly bonking, after a session like that I'd definitely recommend a bit of sugar and/or salt in some form. An old cereal bar, few biscuits or sambo as you say. Had a right nasty experience once a s a result of not eating.
    They were kilometers - 1.6 kilometer reps to be exact. :) As for the bonking. it happens sometimes. The cost of progress!

Today: The 1,000th mile
    As usual, I procrastinated a little before heading out for my easy 10 miler. The plan was to hit Marlay Park and loop back to work in plenty of time for my meeting. Stopped after 1,000 miles (for the year so far) to capture a few pictures of the Fairy Tree, and then realized I had feck all time to get back before my meeting, so had to pick up the pace, into an annoying head-wind. Arrived back with just 10 minutes to clean up, grab lunch, make coffee, and get ready for my meeting. After all those miles, you'd think I'd know better.
    Summary: 1,005 miles, in 123 hours, @7:21/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great going on the 1000 miles.
    Is this the earliest you've hit that mark?

Great going on the 1000 miles.
    Is this the earliest you've hit that mark?
    A couple of days earlier than last year. I was doing solid mileage last year in prep for London marathon. Sticking closely to the plan this year, so there's been no (few) junk miles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done on getting to 1000 so quick. Whenever I'm feeling tired I just take a quick look at this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

A couple of days earlier than last year. I was doing solid mileage last year in prep for London marathon. Sticking closely to the plan this year, so there's been no (few) junk miles.

Amazing you have hit it quicker doing 5k training than Marathon training. I know you have said in the past that in the middle of marathon training your legs are constantly wrecked and you are barely able to walk down stairs (I am know the feeling but thankfully I have no stairs ;)). Do you find the 5k programme less taxing on the body despite the similar volume of miles?

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Amazing you have hit it quicker doing 5k training than Marathon training. I know you have said in the past that in the middle of marathon training your legs are constantly wrecked and you are barely able to walk down stairs (I am know the feeling but thankfully I have no stairs ;)). Do you find the 5k programme less taxing on the body despite the similar volume of miles?
    I was only thinking today, that my legs are in a bit of a jock! But definitely better than marathon training. My first few weeks mileage last year were: 25/31/90/74/100/90/80/100 miles. Whereas this year, it was a far more structured/progressive: 70/79/83/80/90/95/95/100 miles.

The real difference is in not jumping straight from one marathon program to the next one. It really takes the pressure off. Feeling much better about my running this year, as it's not just about trying to squeeze multiple programs into a calendar year. Some regrets when I see everyone lining up for their spring marathon (or more specifically getting ready for the coal-hole!), but I'm playing the long game this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

The best thing I can say about this log is that anytime I read it I feel like going out running. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

The real difference is in not jumping straight from one marathon program to the next one. It really takes the pressure off. Feeling much better about my running this year,

To me this has been the best outcome of the new plan. Remember last year sensing subtle tones from this log that training was just ticking a box in terms of routine but you seem to have alot more enjoyment and enthusiasm in your running as of late and I think this has been as big a contributing factor as the physical side in the huge gains being made.

Long may it continue G

Friday: 5.5 miles + 7.5 miles easy/recovery
    Was rudely awoken at 6:30am by the damn birds, so briefly considered an early morning run. Opted instead for a relaxing mug of joe, and ran to work instead at the more reasonable time of 8am. Legs a little stiff (payback for a couple of hard-steady days without recovery). On the way home, another coffee run (we drink a lot of coffee), but instead of the 700g of beans i was expecting, I was unexpectedly bestowed with 2kgs of coffee. A cause for celebration any other time (thanks Donnacha!), I had to carry them on my run-mute home. Good training for the Marathon De Sable though! The slight detour also added a couple of miles to the run-mute, so I'd ticked off near 7.5 quick miles by the time I got home.
    Summary: 5.5 miles @7:54/mile + 7.3 miles @7:04/mile

Saturday: Ardgillan Park Run
    On my continued quest to run all of the Parkruns, I took the opportunity to head out to Balbriggan for this relatively new addition to the Parkrun stable. Legs felt extremely tired, but once again, I was awake with the dawn's chorus, so it would be a waste of a Saturday morning not to head out and get some early running done. Getting out there was relatively easy (if you completely disregard Google's navigation misdirections). It was great to see the familiar face of Carol (Nules?), who gave me the layout of the land, so I headed down to the castle for a quick loo stop before climbing the hill again. Wow.. Each step up the hill was a struggle, but I was reliably informed that the course had changed and no longer followed this climb (opting instead for another hill of equal measure). An amusing intro by the race director, and before I knew it (waayyy before I knew it!), we were off.

The Ardgillan course record is 17:20 (from last week). The time is a reflection of the tough course, with an almost entirely downhill, followed by an almost entirely uphill. Anyway, I didn't quite anticipate the start, so found myself in around 20th place. Over the first 200m, I worked my way into around 5th and then we hit the downhill. I made up a few spots on the downhill and caught the lad in second. Then there was just the runner in the white t-shirt in first. I had planned on staying with the leaders, as I didn't know the course, but when I saw the first few signposts, I realized the course was well marked. The pace was way too comfortable on the downhill, and knowing that there was going to be a significant climb later, I felt I had little choice but to push on and opened a gap. A fantastic view opened up in the bluff overlooking Skerries, and I took a few moments to enjoy it. The course hooked left and I took the opportunity to glance over my shoulder. I had about 50m, so relaxed into the run, knowing that the tough part lay ahead. I hit another turn, and white t-shirt was no longer in sight. A short sharp climb, and unexpectedly, a couple of volunteers pointed me back down the hill, towards a signpost pointing out that I had to do a second lap. This lap brought me back into the throngs of runners, a number of whom moved out of my way and offered words of encouragement, which was great. I hit the sharp climb for a second time, and this time followed the sign to the right, in the direction of the big climb towards the finish.

A big open straight, so I looked back and couldn't see any white t-shirts back down the course (maybe 300m), so I figured I was out and clear. Checked the watch - 2.5 miles in around 14 mins. I arrived at a copse of trees and there was a volunteer, with a Parkrun sign (facing backwards).
    "All uphill from here?", I quipped, in my cocky smug manner.
    "What?" she answered, looking confused.
    "All uphill from here I suppose", I murmured, a little embarrassed.
    She nodded and smiled looking slightly bewildered, as I passed to her left.

The trail split and I took the left fork, as the sign she held had been pointing left....Hadn't it? A bit more climbing and I arrived close to the castle, on a flat stretch of trail. I hadn't been expecting the castle and I hadn't been expecting flat. I arrived at an unmarked junction, and suddenly I got that Roscommon Bogtrotter's feeling. I've gone wrong, haven't I? I kept going straight, as that's what you're supposed to do when you arrive at an unmarked junction. When I hit the next unmarked junction, I knew I'd fupped up. Looking down the stretch to the right I could see another volunteer, armed with a camera, pointing down the direction I should have come from. I jogged up to him and he confirmed that I'd gone the wrong way. No sign of any other runners, so I toyed with the idea of jogging back to the junction and re-joining the course, but it didn't seem to be in the spirit of the event, so I figured I'd just cut my losses and head to the finish on one of the other paths. I eased back the pace and took a more direct route to the finish area. White t-shirt arrived around two minutes later, so I'd have had time to rejoin the course but sure, there's always the next time.

Fair play to the volunteers and RD who were over immediately to find out if they could improve the course and signage for the future. I'm not entirely sure where I went wrong, but I suspect that the confused volunteer with the backwards sign didn't realize that I was part of the parkrun. So as I headed off to the left (should I have been going right?), thought I was out for a solo run. Well, it's a park run and not a park race, and I had a really enjoyable run, so all was not lost. At least I have the course scoped out now (the first 3.5kms anyway!), so I will be back! It's a really good (but tough) course, with a fantastic set of volunteers. If you happen to be in the area, it's definitely worth a go. Just save some energy for the final uphill.

Summary: 5.3 miles, with 4.74kms in 17:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Oh no. When you reached the woods you should have went right (basically taking the path you had come down earlier back to the finish.

They are a good bunch as you say but not everyone would have been so understanding.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Oh no. When you reached the woods you should have went right (basically taking the path you had come down earlier back to the finish.

They are a good bunch as you say but not everyone would have been so understanding.
    I thought as much. Well, I'll know for the next time! Understanding? We runners are just taking advantage. It's those who volunteer week in and week out at the Parkruns who keep the good stuff happening. We're just abusers of the system! If I'd been paying a little more attention, I would've realized that a backwards sign pointing left, is a forwards sign pointing right. I speak purty, but I ain't gots no smarts!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Zlaty Bazant, Slovak beer. Check it out. A pretty tasty number.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Zlaty Bazant, Slovak beer. Check it out. A pretty tasty number.
    Cheers. Will give it a try if I spot it, but I'd be a little bit put off by the fact that it's owned/made by Heineken (blatant beer snobbery or anti-globalization - you decide!). I do like a good Pilsener though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Cheers. Will give it a try if I spot it, but I'd be a little bit put off by the fact that it's owned/made by Heineken (blatant beer snobbery or anti-globalization - you decide!). I do like a good Pilsener though.

Fair point. But its certainly nicer than Heineken anyway. There's 3 different kinds. I've sampled 2 so far.

• Advertisement

Sunday: 14 hilly miles with 5 mins pickup

I spent 15 minutes plotting out a 14 mile route, over Killiney Hill, down to Dun Laoghaire, and back by the 'noggin. Of course, as soon as I left the house, the route was washed away in a haze of hills and muck. It may have been the semi-subconscious image of Kurt Godel that flashed briefly by in my mind, or perhaps it was a case of the body knowing what the body needs, but by the time I'd left my estate I was heading for hill climbs instead of sea views. If you want to make a 100m hill in Connemara seem small, run up a 200m hill in Wicklow. And so I headed up to the top of Carrigologan, stopping only very briefly to enjoy the view, before dropping back down to earth and ascending to the same loft heights, this time from Barnaslingan Lane. Arriving at the top of the road, I had the choice of wading through a foot of water, or running an extra few miles back to home, so nice soggy shoes and socks for the rest of the run. I waited until I hit a relatively flat patch of road (but still downhill) towards the end of the run to do the speed pick-up, but stretched it to a mile to compensate. It may have been the previous hills, or the slight head-wind, but I found it challenging to hit threshold pace. But once it was dialled in, staying at that pace wasn't too bad. A couple of hours of rock climbing afterwards brought the weekly total to just over 80 miles of running, and 13 hours of training.
    Summary: 14 hilly miles in 1:43, @7:21/mile

Advertisement