Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pints Vs Longnecks Vs spirits & mixers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think the pints vs bottles thing is similar to the Coca Cola cans vs bottles thing

the smaller one might cost more, but what's in it tends to be better quality

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you are going to get bottles, it might be better value to get bottles of premium beer. Im not talking mass produced muck like carlsberg, Bud etc. Im talking about Beer brewed by smaller breweries who actually care about quality.
    Anything by Fullers or Shepherd Naeme if you want English.
    American, there are many like goose Island, Sam Adams is good too, Brooklyn lager is excellent.

And closer to home, Carlow brewing company does O' Haras stout, Red and Curim wheat beer all of which are excellent.

Lads just head to the Bull and Castle by Christchurch and get some proper beer, Or any porterhouse. It might cost a little more but not much considering these bottles in an off licence are over €2.50 up to about €4 each depending where you go but you will only pay about the €5 to €6 mark in the pub making the markup less for the publican and your enjoyment more. You will also be less inclined to get rat arsed and enjoy the beer more like a fine wine.

Stop buying cheap swill! Especially when its not actually cheap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Saruman wrote: »
    Brooklyn lager is excellent.

Remond's in Ranelagh were selling these for €1 a bottle about two weeks ago, bought as much as I could carry!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Shiny wrote: »
    I always drink bottles these days.

I'm well aware of the price difference but it still takes me
    the same length of time to drink one as a pint due to the
    fact that I tend to gulp down pints ....

I find that the extra cost of the bottles pays dividend due to
    not spending the following day feeling ****....
    A book on self control might save you a fortune! If I bought longnecks I would spend around €30-35 extra on a night out. Why not just switch to half pints? A longneck is only a little more.
    S.I.R wrote: »
    i pay 3.80 for a guiness or 4.10 or a bulmers...

but most places have offers on trying to shift rubbish like tiger beer for 4 quid per bottle...
    Some would consider tiger to be a better quality beverage than either of those. I have seen tiger in 500ml bottles too.
    I think the pints vs bottles thing is similar to the Coca Cola cans vs bottles thing

the smaller one might cost more, but what's in it tends to be better quality
    There is quality issues due to many things. I pefer coke in cans than in plastic bottles, and in glass bottles above all. Many let a 2L of coke go flat so it gives the bottles a "bad name". Kegged beer is usually less processed than canned or bottled, so many would say it should be better, but that is up to the pub setup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Jev/N wrote: »
    Remond's in Ranelagh were selling these for €1 a bottle about two weeks ago, bought as much as I could carry!
    I have yet to get in there, will have to make the pilgrimage some day. Its a favourite among us Irish Craft Brewers members along with Deveneys in Dundrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

S.I.R wrote: »
    but most places have offers on trying to shift rubbish like tiger beer for 4 quid per bottle...
    :O

I'm going to pretend you didn't say that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Ste.phen wrote: »
    :O

You've been fooled by premium brand marketing. Guinness is a beer of the highest quality in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Ste.phen wrote: »

Yeah, I love Tiger beer, would always aim for that if its available in a pub. Was drinking the 500ml bottles the the other day for €5.50, so the same price as a pint of crap lager. Lovely stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

never heard anyone call tiger rubbish before
    its a matter of taste i suppose

nothing nicer than tiger imo
    and im much happier paying
    around 5quid for a 50cl bottle
    rather than paying 4.50 for a
    bottle of corona and its much nicer.
    some of the pubs in rural areas have
    never even heard of tiger and in small
    towns like athenry i think theres one pub
    you can get it and thats the reason i never
    frequent my local.
    A good few pubs in galway city do it but not
    half enough

Draught lager in galway is muck
    drank bud+hein on draught for years
    but in one pub it might be nice and the
    next poison so i had to give that a miss.
    Mind you they do draught erdinger in
    the bierhaus and id make an exception there.
    its always nice but i can't drink too many

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

You've been fooled by premium brand marketing. Guinness is a beer of the highest quality in comparison.

Possibly, but I've been drinking it for about two years and never saw any marketing for it until very recently. Guinness is also rather good, but its quality is very much dependant on the bar, bar staff, alignment of the moon, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

How do womens minds work?
    Lots in my local, including 3 of my friends get bottled beer and pour it into a glass. Why not just buy a glass of beer for less than half the price? Oh yeah, cos they've convinced themselves a bottle is trendy, so paying double the money on a night out is worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Nice thread.. but not particularly a Bargain Alert.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement