Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamstring/Quadricep Imbalance

Options
  • 02-11-2008 3:06pm

I have a tendency to twist my knee a lot (twisted both around 10 times in my life so far and I'm in my early 20's) and fortunately have not actually done anything serious i.e. just fluid needing to be removed and iced for a while etc. The most serious was a badly sprained meniscus last year which happened when skiing, that put me on crutches for 6 weeks more or less.

I twisted my left knee again recently when playing football( so i thought as I heard the pop and fell straight to the ground holding my knee ) and was told by my physical therapist that I actually have a micro tear in my hamstring which is basically situated directly at the back of my knee. It was brought to my attention recently by my therapist that my hamstrings are bigger than my quads and I need to balance it out as this has been causing issues with my stability and why I keep twisting my legs due to the imbalance when turning.

I was told to do leg extensions to bring up my quad size to get closer to my hamstring and was told this should not take long. Has anyone any ideas what exercises to do? I was told to avoid deadlifts and squats for a while because I need to get my quads bigger and that they don't directly hit them as much as necessary.

So any suggestions or are leg extensions the main thing for me to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 zenboy

its true that the quads should be stronger than the hamstrings but there is no exact ratio recommended.Knee extensions are ok to start off with but do not build functional strength like a squat,whoever told you that quads arent a prime mover in the exercise are incorrect.Other exercises for the quads would be leg press,step ups,front squats,lunges etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Front Squats for the win. Since your hamstring is maximally (or very close to) contracted at the bottom, your quads and glutes pull you out of the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Not that I'd no more than your eh, physical therapist, but the leg operates as a unit. If you're sufferring from a genuine muscle imbalance, your quad strength is going to be far more important in terms of how it operates with the hamstring rather than how it operates on it's own. Curls will isolate it alright, but maybe get a second opinion on how best to make those quads operate properly as part of a unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Same thing happpened to me. Knee problems for years.

Squat, it really is a miracle. I would advise you get "starting strength" and read the squat chapter, it will explain to you exactly what the squat does to your body.

I have it as an ebook if you'd like it. (not sure how legal me saying that is, but, me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I have it as an ebook if you'd like it. (not sure how legal me saying that is, but, me)

I'd like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

are you absolutely sure that the therapist said your hams were stronger/bigger than quads? Its very unlikely and i see much much more of the reverse.

If its the case as you presented i would recommend doing single leg work i.e. lunges, split squats etc first then going on to squats etc.

Also work the adductors with the adductor machine in the gym as most people are very weak there also.

Finally, check felxibility in the lower body as this can be a major source of injuries also i.e. can you touch your toes from a sitting position easily, are hip flexors tight, groin, glutes etc this is a basic of what i would check first before even taking about strengthening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You know loads of people are going to ask you for it now.

*goes to send PM*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Well its not very hard to get...

I mean its RAPID to SHARE if you use a google search.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well its not very hard to get...

I mean its RAPID to SHARE if you use a google search.

Go raibh maith agat.

See I can talk in code too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Hams need to be stonger then quads, some older studies in the eighties where all for quads/hams being equal strength but stonger hams are now seens a a better route. Also leg extensions are a terrible idea if you're having knee issues. Short step lunges and other single leg work would be much better.

• Advertisement

I've been to a very popular physio before (and they didn't even find the injury with my hamstring, one in a big Dublin hospital). I was just told to do stretches etc which didn't really help as I keep reinjuring my knee when running and turning direction.

So when I go back to the physical therapist again during the week, what will I ask? I'm going to ask again just to be sure are my hamstrings bigger than my quads? They told me this was the case. I also personally think flexibility is an issue, I tend to have very tight calfs and hamstrings. Anything else I should ask? I'm going to start doing front squats down the gym from tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Is it actually possible to have hamstrings bigger than your quads? I just can't picture it, what would cause such a thing?

I tried looking in the mirror myself to figure it out and I just don't get it.

Maybe I should post a photo of my legs for you guys to give me other opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Well maybe someone will be able to tell you. A side and a back pic would be best imo.

Size does not really tell you the whole story.

I would look at the flexibility issues and from the history i would again recommend doing lots of adductor work (machine, lunges onto a small step etc) and get physio to check range of motion on piriformis muscle and IT band.

I went down the gym tonight and I was able to front squat comfortable 80kg's going deep deep down, leg press 390kg's and deadlift 100kg's reps of 6. I stayed away from the leg extensions even though the physical therapist told me to do them.

Am I doing the right things?

Another question, how many reps should I be doing of my front squats and leg presses etc? I was told that by doing 5 - 6 reps, I'm aiming more for power as opposed to rehabilitating my leg and that I should 12 - 15 reps of lower weight? Is that true? It sounds like BS to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I went down the gym tonight and I was able to front squat comfortable 80kg's going deep deep down, leg press 390kg's and deadlift 100kg's reps of 6. I stayed away from the leg extensions even though the physical therapist told me to do them.

Am I doing the right things?

Well there's your problem. Your posterior chain's weak (lower back, hams, glutes).

A 100kg x6 deadlift and 390kg leg press just don't match up. I would guess that your ROM on the leg press is miniscule. As a result you're gonna be focusing mainly on quads, and putting MORE stress on your knees.

Hanley wrote: »
    Well there's your problem. Your posterior chain's weak (lower back, hams, glutes).

A 100kg x6 deadlift and 390kg leg press just don't match up. I would guess that your ROM on the leg press is miniscule. As a result you're gonna be focusing mainly on quads, and putting MORE stress on your knees.

You could be on to something here, please expand. Leg press and deadlift, explain the relationship. My ROM on the leg press is full and proper. What do you mean by miniscule?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You could be on to something here, please expand. Leg press and deadlift, explain the relationship. My ROM on the leg press is full and proper. What do you mean by miniscule?

I sincerly doubt your ROM is as large as you think it is... If it was even close to the same ROM you see in a below parallel squat, you'd be squatting and deadlifting much more weight.

Percieved ROM on the leg press can be a tricky thing, it's effected by the angle of the machine and the seat pad angle too.

As for the relationship, if you were doing what I would call a full press (ie legs almost coming back to your shoulders) I'd expect you to front squat and deadlift a lot more.

Typically when you see someone who's leg pressing a huge amount above their squat/DL number, it's because of a shorter ROM. If you had a long ROM on your leg press, it would be indicative that you should be able to deadlift A LOT more because you'd be getting a lot of pchain work too.

Let me give you come comparisons... I pulled 215kg x6, front squatted 140kg x6 and back squatted 180kg x11 in the past two weeks. I doubt I'd be capable of getting good reps out of 400kg on a leg press. I might get a few good ones, but certainly not a whole lot.

Any guys who I've seen do good reps with 400kg on the leg press have been pulling mid 2's and squatting low 2's for reps...

The problem with doing a shorter ROM on the leg press is that it makes it all quad (well in so far as you can isolate any muscle!). Combine that with the shearing forces you're gonna be putting on your knee trying to reverse 400kg and you've a reciepe for even more knee trouble.

A strong deadlift = a strong posterior chain.

This post lacks any real cohesiveness, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say!

• Advertisement

I understand and appreciate the time you took to write it out. What do you suggest I do to rectify this god damn mess?

totally agree with hanley - leg press to over exagerated and do more ham and glute work e.g.

glute/ham raises
    Back extensions
    Leg curl machine
    Lunges/split squats

Finally, going deep deep down on a front squat to me means your butt is almost touching the floor and the hamstrings are touching the calves - is that the case for you?

This could be it!!! Hopefully these exercises will sort out my issue. How many reps of each should I be doing? I'm very grateful for the advice guys, appreciated.

Transform wrote: »
    Finally, going deep deep down on a front squat to me means your butt is almost touching the floor and the hamstrings are touching the calves - is that the case for you?

Yes, I promise I am going as low as I can as "form follows function"!!!

Advertisement