Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taking a coldsore on a date

Options
  • 31-10-2008 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Alas, yesterday's tingle is today a fully fledged coldsore, yuk :( I'm supposed to be going on a date tomorrow night, it's our second or third date depending on how you count.

Have any of you been in this situation? What would you do? Mention it beforehand ("ahem I have something gross on my lip so keep your distance you")? Not mention it and duck if he doesnt spot it immediately and tries for a kiss? Cancel ("it's not you, it really is me this time")? I think there is an ad for coldsore cream where the girl walks around with a paper bag over her head :D

Well I am joking a little, but I'd still be interested in your thoughts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Get yourself a coldsore cream as soon as possible. See how it is in the morning. If it's not gone then perhaps mention it before the date.

If you're gonna be super paranoid about it and not be able to relax then maybe postpone the date, but only as a last resort!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

get some of those patches and cream, use cream tonight, and put patch on tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

How about the ad for the Compeed patches where the girl sticks on one of these patches and then liberally applies her lipstick over it? The compeed patches are USLESS when it comes to fighting the coldsore. I haven't tried the lipstick trick cos I'm a bloke but it might help to disguise it. The worst about this approach is it's a bit sneaky. You don't want to infect the poor hoor.

On an ongoing basis use this to prevent them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

hollypink wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be going on a date tomorrow night, it's our second or third date depending on how you count.
    Usually in sequence...1 i would say is first...usually followed by 2....then 3 would be next.

Just ring him tell him your not feeling the best your sorry and would you be able to do it next week instead

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Ha ha .. you poor thing, this will be gone down by tomorrow so dont panic. Ask your pharmacist for a home remedy (two chemists down our way do them and they are much better than zovirax (sp?) ) by tomorrow night you will be able to cover up with make up or something. no need to mention it, i bet he won't even notice! In these circumstances i often find drawing attention to something else is very benefitical, make a special extra effort with your eye make up or your hair .....
    Have fun xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ii think the compeed patches are way better than Zovirax, I find Zovirax to be totally useless. The compeed patch will stop it blistering too if you nab it in time. But bear in mind it's not nearly as invisible as the ad says, but less obvious than a lump of zovirax on your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

I would mention it in a jokeny way beforehand like "Now I have to warn you, I have a coldsore blah blah" and then maybe joke about it when you meet up. I think man like women who joke about things like this rather then the girls who are like "I'm never leaving the house ever again" Drama Queens.

Another point, if you happen to start going out offically with this guy,chance s are he's gona see you with a cold sore a few times as once ya have it ya have it. Ya can't cath it twice, as they say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Yeah, I would sniffle a little and say how bad you've been feeling.... think you have a cold... give him a fright you mightn't be out.... then you do come out!

Fucibet is an antibiotic cream I keep handy, only available on prescription, works wonders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

also these for prevention..i swear by them.havent got one in nearly 4 years..hope i havent just jinxed myself

http://www.evergreen.ie/Solgar-L-Lysine-!P-016804-prod.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tbh coming from a guys perspective I couldn't care less if a girl has a girl sore on a date. Its not like its going to be there all the time.

Although I'm slightly mad anyways so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

coldsore patches all the way!! for the last year i've been litterly plaged with them one after the other and the patches are super! some people have not even noticed i had one!!

Call me old fashioned but I wouldn't kiss on the first date (if you're talking about the kind of first date where it's the second time you've met the guy) so I wouldn't be too worried about passing on infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

L lysine supplements are brilliant. They work much better for me than zovirax or compeed patches ever did. Havent had a cold sore since I started taking them and I used to get loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Lysine goes a long way to preventing them, and can help heal when you have a breakout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Go on the date anyway, everybody is familiar with coldsores so he won't take any notice, he might even suffer from them himself.

The compeed patches are good enough, try them.

I wouldn't kiss him if I had a coldsore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

If I was you I would phone and leave a voice mail asking to rearrange the date because your are suffering from a massive outbreak of herpes. This is a sure fire way of telling you if he is really interested or not.

I know a nutritional therapist (my mammy :pac:) who recommended me to take:

L Lysine (also found in veg, fish legumes chicken etc.)
    Vit C
    Bioflavonoids
    Avoid chocolate and nuts for the period of the outbreak.

I found doing this has helped to reduce the incidence and longevity of cold sores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

SarahJ wrote: »
    I would mention it in a jokeny way beforehand like "Now I have to warn you, I have a coldsore blah blah" and then maybe joke about it when you meet up. I think man like women who joke about things like this rather then the girls who are like "I'm never leaving the house ever again" Drama Queens.

Nail. Head. Hit :)

Avoid chocolate and nuts for the period of the outbreak.

The annoying thing is many people get coldsores at the time of the month when chocolate is a must :(

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

I'm jealous of the people here who can get rid of their coldsores in a day or two!! Mine last up to a week! Unfortunately mine are often stress induced, but I get them very regularly so I can concur with those who recommend L Lysine (it does work, if only I could remember to take it). Have recently discovered Compeed, excellent for hiding the hideous blighters, mine go a horrible yellow colour :eek:

Personally, creams actually just spread my coldsores, I once had FOUR at the same time and couldn't clear them all for a month.....have never used Zovirax since!! But each to their own.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I get coldsores very rarely, but I found they seem to get worse if I use Zovirax on them. Best thing to use imo is good, old-fashioned iodine. You can get a bottle in the chemist and it has a little brush in it to apply it. It was recommended to me by a chemist, and it's particularly good if you have a sore that's weeping a bit and won't dry up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

tbh coming from a guys perspective I couldn't care less if a girl has a girl sore on a date. Its not like its going to be there all the time.

Right. Guys don't care...unless the OP's boyfriend is a bit anal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if a girl is that shallow that a coldsore puts her off, she aint worth dating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭djmike

Forget Zovirax, or anything with aciclover, (Viralief)

Compeed cold sore patches are the best defence.
    They cover the sore before it breaks out with a kind of translucent, circular plaster thats only noticeable up close.

€10 for 10 but you should only need 4/5 if you apply correctly as they last for a day or more.

No scabs or blisters.

Ive worked in a pharmacy for a couple of years and imh they are the ultimate choice

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Well I'm also coming from a guy's perspective and I absolutely definitely would fúcking not kiss a girl with a cold-sore. And I'd be slightly perturbed if she showed up on a date with a big dirty cold-sore on her face!

I find Zovirax to be pretty good, but just postpone the date for a few days if that's not working. It won't be a big deal as long as you specify that you do want to meet in the near future.

What about if she turned up with a coldsore but you just didn't kiss? It's not as if a coldsore would get in the way of anything of a first date, you can still get to know eachother and enjoy yourself even with a coldsore.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

It's a third date though, so I'd say it definitely would be getting in the way!

Just noticed that 'Tomorrow' had come and gone by the time I posted anyway. I wonder how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Carmex for Cold sores is the best. Not the regular Carmex for dry/chapped lips. don't know if it can be got over here cause I got it in the States. If you feel that tingle you use it as lip balm and it will never appear.
    If it's too late then I do reccommend getting it on ebay or something for the next time a coldsore may appear.

If it was a full blown cold sore then I'd be very self conscious on a date, but if it's the 3rd date then it should be fine as it's obvious that you both established that ye want to keep seeing each other for more dates/possibly more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

After the cold sore has popped up and is kinda turning "crusty" (euw, I know!) a product called "Cymex" is brilliant for them. (Note: not Carmex)

It's used for really dry cracked lips and for cold sores when they get to that crusty stage. It feels so much more moisturising on the sore than the Zovirax, and you can apply this every hour. (Slather the stuff on at night so it can really get to work)

And it's cheap too :) Only €3.88 :)

Advertisement