Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Committee - "Fees"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Thoie wrote: »
    Here's an alternative question - I'm on a residents association. There's a set maintenance fee by a management company that people pay towards upkeep etc.
    so your association should try steer clear of any activities that cross over those responsibilities of the management company. However, if you wanted to add extra flowers etc around the place to liven it up that would be your responsibility and not managements.

We had semi considered asking for a donation of a fiver per household to help with photocopying etc (at the moment this is paid out of our own pockets), but haven't gone down this route as we feel it would then involve keeping accounts, opening a bank account etc which would all start making everything very official and time consuming.

a residents association needs to be official, and if so you may be able to get funding from your local council for events. you also have to consider public liability insurance for any of your get together so in general should be asking for a fee from all members, it doesn't have to be big, the one i started looked for about €40 a year initially.

A suggestion has been that the next time we're holding a "party" (ours are small affairs involving tea, coffee and diluted orange etc) that we leave a collection plate somewhere that people could drop a few coins on, or perhaps charging 50p for a cup of coffee or whatever. .
    good idea at least then the Mooney for the venue etc is coming in, But as soon a you start taking in money you are official and need a set of accounts.

MsFifers wrote: »
    look - I agree 250 seems excessive - but we only have the OPs side of the story. Is this a private estate - what does the fees cover? - insurance? - waste collection? - etc.
    where does the OP say that they live in a private estate? and if they did then management Fee would surely apply for all this grass cutting

I just think that they should have got involved if they didn't like what was being asked. Personally, I would be more embarrassed to be living in an estate, and having my neighbours tidying up the area for me, with me sitting back on me ar*e enjoying it all while not making any contribution. .

maybe like me they liked the idea initially. and why should they feel embarrassed if their neighbors take it upon themselves to clean the place? maybe the OP has a sick grandmother and they cant afford the time to participate, and at that point would the participation not be contribution enough, ya know give up time or money not both

If the OP wants to pretend they aren't part of a community - then they should go and live in a detached home in the middle of nowhere..
    WTF just because some numbnuts decides to charge 250 for a residents association without proper justification the OP suddenly has no community spirit? you wouldn't be the treasure/chairperson of this association would you? :D
    In my apartment block, I've been paying my management fees for years, while a couple of neighbours have decided they are too special to chip in. .

that is their right to object to management fees and lets make one thing clear a management company is not a residents association, they are separate entities, one is voluntary membership the other compulsory under your purchase contract. so where's the chipping in coming from. get your facts straight in your head there for a second. secondly anyone can say that they don't pay management fees, have you proof of same?
    Hence they get free insurance, and I'm the mug that lets them away with it. We are considering taking the same steps as the OP's resident committee did. Name & shame. At least it gets a reaction obviously.

they may get free insurance and building maintenance for not but if they continue to pay they will end up in court for breach of contract and in the long run will cost them more.

if your Residents association decides to name and shame make sure you are fully versed on the data protection act or at least have a good lawyer. naming and shaming members is a serious breach of their confidentiality and can land your association up in court. but you don't need to worry coz you sound very well run and organized and have full insurance right? you do have insurance right coz if you don't and someone decides to sue over your breach of data protection well that's gonna hit your pocket very deep. unless of course you're registered as a limited liability company.

seahorse wrote: »
    That's your view and it's totally perpendicular to a lot of peoples, including mine. I certainly am not "part of a community". .......... If that's what they want to do, well, they're free to do it; but they can damn well do it at their own expense.
    jasys you could be my twin living in my estate, no one in my place has any community spirit, idiots with music shaking the walls at 5 AM let off and no one complains, people littering be it beer cans or fag buts out side the balconies, everyone tuts but no one says anything, even when it comes to tackling issues with the management company no on wanted to know. so i leave them all to it now.

That's
    As to your concerns about waste fees, insurance, etc; the OP has said absolutely nothing to suggest those issues are covered by this exorbitant fee.
    exactly, I assume those items are covered under some sort of management fee, which is something different to a residents association fee. I think MsFifers has her wires well and truly crossed and can't distinguish the two. she actually sounds like she could be on my old committee.

see i tried to set up a Residents association (boards had to pull the thread about it in North Dublin LOL) and no one was interested. well they where but only interested in their own problem and getting others to solve them for them the usual "I have an issue with management they promised me X,Y &Z and didn't do it" or "the foreman promised this but didn't come through, you go sort him out" or the best one, "I have a broken gate at at the last AGM the management company said they'd fix it and I've been waiting a year now can you resolve it" and when asked how often did he follow up he replied "never, i mentioned it at the AGM and assumed it would be done, but sure you can follow up for me" all things that where probably not within the remit of a fledgling association etc. then the new chairperson (after i stepped down) started to misinform the members of their legal rights (he's a soap box politician not a lawyer) which was laughable and misquoting stuff i had said previously

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

the_syco wrote: »
    If there are 10 houses in the estate, that's a total of €2,500. 100 houses, €25,000

I'd check with the other non-payee's, if they have any notion of where the money goes to, and if no-one knows, demand that the Residents Committee give everyone a copy of the accounts, showing where all the money went to.

There is about 400 houses in the estate I'm in. If everyone paid €250, that would be equal to €100,000 And that sort of money pay have legs if given to the wrong person:mad:

In our section there are about 50 houses. So thats €12,500 per year. The "accounts" (which are about as account-worthy as sums written on toilet roll) suggest that the annual cost of cutting the grass is over €9,500. There are additional costs for plants of €400.

It doesnt cost that kind of money to cut grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

€400 for plants is reasonable enough, but €9,500 is a huge amount of money for grass cutting, surely it's farmed out to some sort of landscaping company?

Ask to see the invoices from that company, confirm the costs for yourself, argue that it's too expensive, then suggest ways or reducing the cost.

For instance, our residents committee bought a couple of reliable lawnmowers and a petrol strimmer, the initial cost was high enough, they need to be serviced every year and we need resident volunteers to actually do the work.

It results in a €50 annual fee for the residents, then the remainder is spent on some 'feel good' community events like (volunteer) santa visits at christmas to kids houses on the estate with sweets etc.

Find out how to join the residents comittee, change is easier made from inside ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cold heart

faceman wrote: »
    In our section there are about 50 houses. So thats €12,500 per year. The "accounts" (which are about as account-worthy as sums written on toilet roll) suggest that the annual cost of cutting the grass is over €9,500. There are additional costs for plants of €400.
    I would contact data protection commissioner about them sending your name around etc. they may need to be registered with him and may not be

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

My old small estate
    Without a residents committee -
    was very untidy, had problems with illegal dumping, litter, graffetti and some anti social behaviour and nobody knew anyone.

After residents committee -
    groups o neighbours and their kids clean the graffiti, pick up litter, get on to the council for not doing the work they should be doing. Neighbourhood Watch has been set up along with garden competitions and fundays. All in all the estate was a much better place to live in and I have to say R.Cs are worth their weight in gold and I think the volunteers who do the hard work deserve their fundays.

I think naming and shaming is terrible and breaks data protection rules but I do think 100e isn’t much (250 seems high) to ask for a working couple to make their area a better place to live but maybe ask can you pay it in instalments or that it should be based on number of people in the house or on the amount of time people volunteer to help out. Also ask for a breakdown of fees paid and money spent throughout the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BK2

Residents assocation does not have to be registered or a limited liability company etc, it can just be a loosely organised association, it is a voluntary assocation usually and in a lot of cases it is not a registered company. I think most are just some members coming together trying to keep a place tidy. Anyway I really don't see your complaint face. you are complaining about the cost which doesn't affect you since you don't pay and you are worrying about some letter outlining that you don't pay, again if you think your behaviour is reasonable then what is the problem since when is speaking the truth a crime? You don't have to pay anything for the maintenance of your estate and you can choose that others pay instead which you have choosen to do, that is your right you are entitled to it. The letter is merely to show people that they are paying 85% if everyone paid the cost would be 200 if less paid it would be 350 etc, perhaps it is not about you, since you don't pay it is most likely not aimed at you but more aimed at those who do pay to show why it is 250 rather than 200 etc. If you have/had a problem with the cost, a simple conversation with the residents committe would remedy this, would probably take ten minutes but you choose instead to just not pay at all and not air your opinion, your choice. If you actually went to a Solicitor I really dont' know what they would say to the residents association, please refrain from speaking the truth. And this talk of data protection is nonsence, they haven't supplied strangers with information about you, you contributed nothing, so what is the supposed data that has been shared with others? a blank space is not data

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

BK2 wrote: »
    Residents assocation does not have to be registered or a limited liability company etc, it can just be a loosely organised association, it is a voluntary assocation usually and in a lot of cases it is not a registered company. I think most are just some members coming together trying to keep a place tidy. Anyway I really don't see your complaint face. you are complaining about the cost which doesn't affect you since you don't pay and you are worrying about some letter outlining that you don't pay, again if you think your behaviour is reasonable then what is the problem since when is speaking the truth a crime? You don't have to pay anything for the maintenance of your estate and you can choose that others pay instead which you have choosen to do, that is your right you are entitled to it. The letter is merely to show people that they are paying 85% if everyone paid the cost would be 200 if less paid it would be 350 etc, perhaps it is not about you, since you don't pay it is most likely not aimed at you but more aimed at those who do pay to show why it is 250 rather than 200 etc. If you have/had a problem with the cost, a simple conversation with the residents committe would remedy this, would probably take ten minutes but you choose instead to just not pay at all and not air your opinion, your choice. If you actually went to a Solicitor I really dont' know what they would say to the residents association, please refrain from speaking the truth. And this talk of data protection is nonsence, they haven't supplied strangers with information about you, you contributed nothing, so what is the supposed data that has been shared with others? a blank space is not data

Er, they are distributing personal details of people in the estate without their consent.

your issue is that they are realising your personal details, not others, they have not realised any personal details for you, you have paid nothing, there is nothing to release.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

your issue is that they are realising your personal details, not others, they have not realised any personal details for you, you have paid nothing, there is nothing to release.
    They are releasing his details to everyone in the estate.

Residents assocation does not have to be registered or a limited liability company etc, it can just be a loosely organised association, it is a voluntary assocation usually and in a lot of cases it is not a registered company. I think most are just some members coming together trying to keep a place tidy.

well after many a discussion with Fingal county council I'll disagree with that. they advised us to register with them set up a bank/credit union account and provided us all the documentation required to set it up. this allows you to approach the council for funding like a charity or sports club for some events. the also advised about insurance and liability. from my own studies of companies if the residents association are not listed as a limited company then all members are labile to the maximum of the finances for any and all liability, that means if they have bouncy castles and no insurance and little johnny cracks a tooth and mommy dearest sues the association ALL members must contribute to this liability. if on the extreme chance it amounts to millions then ALL members are liable and could have to sell property to offset that liability. if they are registered as a limited company then the liability is limited to the amount each individual as a share holder has contributed. all things a lot of residents associations do not consider, it's not as simple as a bunch of people in a house over coffee planning taking over the world.

Anyway I really don't see your complaint face. you are complaining about the cost which doesn't affect you since you don't pay and you are worrying about some letter outlining that you don't pay, again if you think your behaviour is reasonable then what is the problem since when is speaking the truth a crime?

releasing personal details of membership and account information ie those that have or have not paid would be considered illegal under data protection

You don't have to pay anything for the maintenance of your estate and you can choose that others pay instead which you have choosen to do, that is your right you are entitled to it.

he never mentioned if he did or don't pay a maintenance fee to a management company that already takes care of this. if he lives in a council run estate all the grass etc should be don't by the local council as already said and anything else would be up to the locals to provide on a volunteer basis

The letter is merely to show people that they are paying 85% if everyone paid the cost would be 200 if less paid it would be 350 etc, perhaps it is not about you, since you don't pay it is most likely not aimed at you but more aimed at those who do pay to show why it is 250 rather than 200 etc.
    irrelevant it's a clear breach of every resident's/member's privacy. their reasoning behind it is irrelevant. if they wish to play around at residents association then they need to do it right. idiotic moves like releasing this information is why a lot of them have bad reputations and newer residents want nothing to do with them.
    If you actually went to a Solicitor I really dont' know what they would say to the residents association, please refrain from speaking the truth.
    no, stop spreading confidential information about would be more accurate
    And this talk of data protection is nonsence, they haven't supplied strangers with information about you, you contributed nothing, so what is the supposed data that has been shared with others? a blank space is not data
    they listed those that did and didn't pay, the OP is on of those that didn't pay therefore information about him has been released

it's simple data induction, if they list all members that pay, then indirectly they also list those that do not pay. so personal information on both sides is released QED.

• Advertisement

dade wrote: »
    well after many a discussion with Fingal county council I'll disagree with that. they advised us to register with them set up a bank/credit union account and provided us all the documentation required to set it up. this allows you to approach the council for funding like a charity or sports club for some events. the also advised about insurance and liability. from my own studies of companies if the residents association are not listed as a limited company then all members are labile to the maximum of the finances for any and all liability, that means if they have bouncy castles and no insurance and little johnny cracks a tooth and mommy dearest sues the association ALL members must contribute to this liability. if on the extreme chance it amounts to millions then ALL members are liable and could have to sell property to offset that liability. if they are registered as a limited company then the liability is limited to the amount each individual as a share holder has contributed. all things a lot of residents associations do not consider, it's not as simple as a bunch of people in a house over coffee planning taking over the world.

That is merely your experience. An estate is either taken over by the County Council or it is not. If is is not then the builder is still responsible for the common areas. If it is then the County Council are responsbile for common areas. A residents association, does not need to be a company. Because you set up a company does not mean that this is always the case. Either the Council or the builder are still responsible most residents associations merely cut grass. I know of several and have never heard of public liability insurance being taken, it is either the County Council or the builders responsiblity to take insurance, there is no middle ground. If you take out insurance you are taking out responsiblity and taking it from the hands of those truely responsible ( Council or Builder), If you dont' set up a company there is no need for any liability, limited or otherwise.

releasing personal details of membership and account information ie those that have or have not paid would be considered illegal under data protection

Not true. The Data Protection Act relates to instances where you provide information to another party and they are under an obligation to maintain this information and not release to other parties eg. Bank. The OP did not provide any data, there is nothing to protect. I suspect that you don't truely know what the data protection Act is. Are you a Solicitor? You might argue that they have invaded his privacy but this does not mean that it is protected by the Data Protection Act. It is not.

he never mentioned if he did or don't pay a maintenance fee to a management company that already takes care of this. if he lives in a council run estate all the grass etc should be don't by the local council as already said and anything else would be up to the locals to provide on a volunteer basis

He said he didn 't pay, thus the letter with everyones name stating he didn't pay. I didn't mention a Management Company, they are two different entites.
    irrelevant it's a clear breach of every resident's/member's privacy. their reasoning behind it is irrelevant. if they wish to play around at residents association then they need to do it right. idiotic moves like releasing this information is why a lot of them have bad reputations and newer residents want nothing to do with them.

It is not a clear breach. Their behaviour is questionable and I don't think I would be overly happy if it happened to me but you can't just throw around various acts claiming they protect him when they don't.

no, stop spreading confidential information about would be more accurate

they listed those that did and didn't pay, the OP is on of those that didn't pay therefore information about him has been released

No it wasn't.

it's simple data induction, if they list all members that pay, then indirectly they also list those that do not pay. so personal information on both sides is released QED.

You are making such a huge deal out of a list, I still dont' think it was even aimed at him. The residents have a right to know why they are paying €250.00 instead of €200.00 the OP is the reason. They have to keep track, it could also be a reminder to those who didn't pay in case they forgot, where on holidays etc. They probably don't have the time to call to every house and write individual letters to every person. Perhaps they have a life, perhaps they have children, Perhaps they have things to do and for simplicity sake it was easier to just send out a generic mail. Lot of drama, the reaction, if you ask me. If you start spouting off data protection acts over something so silly it gets completely out of hand. That Act is a complicated mechanism to protect those who use it, even bank can get information from your credit card company, from mortgage companies, a lot of our information is shared and the protection act ensures that it is not abused. The Long shot is if the OP doesn't want to pay he doesn't have to. If he had stated the Residents Associates where abusing him because he didn't pay then I would understand but a list! He, nor you, nor I have any idea or busy/not busy the Residents Association are and whether it was intended to upset them or a generic mail. Perhaps OP should ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

How does the Resident's Association release names of those who do not pay if these people shy away from the association? How do they know their names?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

jasys you could be my twin living in my estate, no one in my place has any community spirit..

Well here's the thing Dade; the self-appointed 'residents association' in my area is actually made up of a dozen or so oul wans with too much time on their hands. I'm only here five years but my next door neighbour is here over thirty. I thought I'd seen some ridiculous behaviour out of these oul wans in five years but it was only when I got talking to my neighbour about the history of their complaints around here did I get the full picture. My neighbour will not give the residents association the time of day either and it's easy to see why.

They have opposed every single amenity that's ever been suggested for this area, with very little success, thankfully. Since I've been here they've opposed the local pub setting up an off-licence, which annoyed the hell out of me because it'd be much handier to walk the five mins to the local for a bottle of wine when I've company over in the evening than to have to drive the half hour walk to the local supermarket (which of course you cant do if you've already got a couple of glasses of wine in you, in which case you're screwed)

Previous to my being here they opposed the arrival of the local chipper! They also opposed - wait for it - the building of the local feckin creche!!! There was no creche here before that and you have to ask yourself, who in their right mind opposes an area having a bleedin creche??? These are only a handful of their outrageous oppositions, and thank God common sense has prevailed and they're been overridden on all of these; it's a big relief for the normal decent people around here who need their kids minded while they're in work all week and might fancy a bag of chips or a glass of wine at the end of it!

I'm not against residents committees in principle; I'm sure they can work wonderfully well for areas when not manned by a gang of bored-stiff agenda-seeking gobshytes. It's for the reasons detailed above my own local area residents committee are welcome to take their leaflets, fashion them into sharp objects and shove them good and hard up the back end of their arses.

Sorry for taking the thread off-topic OP. Can you tell us have there been any developments or have you decided how you intend to proceed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Storm in a tea-cup.

If you're renting, your landlord should have the choice of contributing. If you (or your landlord) don't want to: don't. I see no benefit in abusing some Joe at the door who is just trying to make the estate look a bit more palatable.

250 a house also sounds a little extreme if the local authority is supposed to look after the basics. Our management company was quoted 16k PA for basic maintenance of the whole estate, albeit extras like shrubs and bulbs cost (once off) extra.

I'm involved in a residents committee, on an estate that also has a management company. We're not Jobsworths and we don't ask for extra money. My experience has been pretty positive re: the people who are involved, and negative about the majority of other residents who are basically profoundly ignorant and uninterested in how the place is run unless it absolutely directly affects them.

The amount of sh*te that people get up to, illegal dumping, fighting over parking spaces, and what not have led me to believe that the least of your problems is some Jobsworth trying to plant a few flowers around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I don't wish to sound rude (but think I probably will), but where are people getting all this sh*te about the data protection act? Are any of you actually familiar with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I don't wish to sound rude (but think I probably will), but where are people getting all this sh*te about the data protection act? Are any of you actually familiar with it?
    Yup. Next question :)

It could be argued that the RA in this case obtained the details of other residents off a public listing such as the electoral register but the point here is the manner in which they have used these details to effectively name and shame other residents for what effectively is entirely their perogative to pay or not. It may not be a clear breach of DPC but imho the RA in this case have dealt with this poorly at best. This is tantamount to saying that Mrs.Murphy in number 7 wears a wig on Saturdays and letting everybody else in the estate know. Frankly, its nobody elses business and I would suggest in the context of this shoddy approach of coining a few quid out of a resident who has a made a choice of not contributing should be dealt with by having a quiet word in the clowns ear who thought this leaflet was a good idea, OP you might be wasting your time as anybody with a shred of common sense wouldnt have went down this road but you could ask for a retraction without sounding like too much off a fusspot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

anyway the association should be registered as a limited liability company most probably as a non profit
    Interesting tidbit, theres no such thing as a non profit in Irish law. You have your sports clubs and your registered charities, thats it. I found this out when I was trying to set up a lottery for a local association here.

Interesting tidbit, theres no such thing as a non profit in Irish law. You have your sports clubs and your registered charities, thats it. I found this out when I was trying to set up a lottery for a local association here.

the closest you could have is a company limited by guarantee. (by guarantee of it's member) it's a bit deeper than than obviously but it's the best we got

This whole issue has nothing to do with the data protection act. the residents association is most likely not a company of any description, so liability etc. doesn't count. The OP could have dealt with the issue re: cost by discussing it with residents association. He doesn't want to pay but wants the area to look nice and clean and well kept. He doesn't want anyone to know he doesn't pay. He doesn't have to pay and has nothing to be ashamed of if he doesn't pay thus this name and shame argument I don't understand how can they shame you when you have done nothing to be ashamed of? I seem to be the only one on here who doesn't feel sorry for the OP, you are not paying but using all amenities provided and then complaining about a list which was probably sent as a generic mail to cut costs (others were probably complaining about the high cost), 50% of residents might have requested it, they can't please everybody especially someone who doesn't even contribute.

The residents have a right to know why they are paying €250.00 instead of €200.00 the OP is the reason. They have to keep track, it could also be a reminder to those who didn't pay in case they forgot, where on holidays etc.
    yes they do have a right to know, but they do not have a right to know who is or isn't paying. it's between the chair, treasurer and possibly secretary of the association and that member. if people didn't pay hen it should be an individualized letter to that person. not a blanket mailing.
    [
    They probably don't have the time to call to every house and write individual letters to every person. Perhaps they have a life, perhaps they have children, Perhaps they have things to do and for simplicity sake it was easier to just send out a generic mail. Lot of drama, the reaction, if you ask me.
    if they don't have the time to do it right then step down and let someone else do it.

[
    If you start spouting off data protection acts over something so silly it gets completely out of hand. That Act is a complicated mechanism to protect those who use it, even bank can get information from your credit card company, from mortgage companies, a lot of our information is shared and the protection act ensures that it is not abused.

I,m not spouting on about the act but the act is there to protect people from violations of they privacy. any breach of that is in my view serious and not silly, obviously you have little regard for your personal privacy and more power to you. i on the other hand take umbrage with anyone that would release that info without my prior written consent.

a bank can only gather information from your credit card because one of the terms and conditions of your getting a card from them is to allow them to look at your spending patterns, they use this data for one purpose and one purpose only to make offers to you to generate business, for example if they notice you use your card abroad they may offer you some travel insurance. like wise your club card is Tesco, the data they is used for buying habits so they can directly market to you items that closely match your previous purchases. this data is gathered for that reason and only used for that reason so no breach in that act. also they do not pass the data on to third parties hence all the security questions when you phone them, all intended to validate in as much as possible that you are who you say you are.
    [
    The Long shot is if the OP doesn't want to pay he doesn't have to. If he had stated the Residents Associates where abusing him because he didn't pay then I would understand but a list! He, nor you, nor I have any idea or busy/not busy the Residents Association are and whether it was intended to upset them or a generic mail. Perhaps OP should ask.

busy my @rse. they hold data therefore they legally have an obligation to be versed in the data protection act of this country there is not gray area on this. the law is very specific on this. ignorance is not an excuse. releasing even the names of the members could be seen as a breach never mind accounting information, and a list of who paid and who doesn't would probably fall under that title.

They have opposed every single amenity that's ever been suggested for this area, with very little success, thankfully. Since I've been here they've opposed the local pub setting up an off-licence, ...... they opposed the arrival of the local chipper! ........... the building of the local feckin creche!!! ........These are only a handful of their outrageous oppositions, and thank God common sense has prevailed and they're been overridden on all of these;

jaysus really does sound like my place, some of the members out my way oppose a shop, cos it will increase traffic, they oppose a school because it will increase traffic and turn the place into a Rat Run, their only solution to speeding is speed rams and do not want to look at any other possible solution. and parking, ah sure make everyone pay just coz some nonresident park there during the day. beggers belief really

I'm not against residents committees in principle; I'm sure they can work wonderfully well for areas when not manned by a gang of bored-stiff agenda-seeking gobshytes.

hence why i started the residents association in Holywell, a lot of issues with the developer, the management company and so on, so we felt that we would have a bigger voice as a group. Hell the place had a school site myself and there others approached the department of education, Fingal County Council and Educate together. all three parties expressed an interest in pursuing it, turns out educate together are setting up shop there, so i get a primary school and a crèche 2 minutes walk from my door

no whey had leaflets out every 3 months for meetings and the agendas is the same: - parking, litter and speed. 3 months ago the same and the same the time before that. they haven't changed committee members in over 2 years it's a joke, I'm convinced its soapboxed politicians with an agenda

in a word yes not the explicit wording coz I'm not a lawyer but my rights and obligations under the act yes I've a pretty good idea about it. Can I ask you the same question?
    see within my current job I have had to know what can and can't be done under data protection because of the huge volumes of data that pass across my desk. under that act once you hold any data on any individual then you are bound by the act to keep it confidential. you are also bound to provide any and all information to the person in question upon written request and for a nominal fee of about €6 and all this info should be provided within 30 days unless circumstances dictate otherwise like it's off site in remote storage, but you have to get it back and provide it to them. you also can not hold onto the information any longer than is absolutely necessary. you also can't pass that information on to a third party, except the state, but that I believe is only on production of a court order.

that act is not there to protect those that use it I've no idea where you get this messed up view of it, the act is there to protect all citizens of this land. you do not have a choice if you want to use it or not. it's not like the companies act, that only like the name employs effects companies and anyone owning, running or creating one and not in general a PAYE worker. so i suggest you look into the act and verse yourself in your rights and more importantly your obligations under it.

Ireland has some of the better data protection laws. for example if you encrypt your data the Gardai can not ask/force you to unencrypted it again unless they provide a court order and that will only be granted once they prove that the data contains something criminal. or that's the jist of it anyway. so yes i know a little about it.

Sizzler wrote: »
    It could be argued that the RA in this case obtained the details of other residents off a public listing such as the electoral register.
    agreed but then all letters would only contain names and addresses, info that is freely available. however it also contained monetary values paid or due, once that is on it it becomes confidential data IMO.
    Sizzler wrote: »
    but the point here is the manner in which they have used these details to effectively name and shame other residents for what effectively is entirely their perogative to pay or not. It may not be a clear breach of DPC but imho the RA in this case have dealt with this poorly at best.

have to disagree on it being a breach but I do agree one way or the other it is bad form on their part

yep sports and social clubs, associations and charities more or less fall under one loose umbrella in relation to company law what would loosely be described as non profit but legally obviously that term does not exist, other than that its a company of one form or another
    faceman wrote: »
    the closest you could have is a company limited by guarantee. (by guarantee of it's member) it's a bit deeper than than obviously but it's the best we got

yeah that's what i meant not limited liability company sorry :o but the idea was the same just not the wording

This whole issue has nothing to do with the data protection act. the residents association is most likely not a company of any description, so liability etc. doesn't count. .
    sorry to rain on your parade the act does apply. it's an associate ands as such has a liability of some sort, maybe not a tax liability as they would be in theory a non profit organization, but IIRC do still need to file a tax return especially if they plan on getting funding from a local council. hell in that regard they even need a tax number.

and the issue though originally not necessarily about data protection, the actions of the association is. they released data about people that they shouldn't have.

He doesn't want anyone to know he doesn't pay. .
    as is his right. just like it is my right not to want anyone to know I'm Ian paisleys secret love child or am in fact Osama Bin ladin in exile. and guess what the Data protection act was designed just for this purpose.
    He doesn't have to pay and has nothing to be ashamed of if he doesn't pay thus this name and shame argument I don't understand how can they shame you when you have done nothing to be ashamed of? .

he didn't say he was ashamed, i believed he said he was pissed off that they released the information and rightly so IMO.

I seem to be the only one on here who doesn't feel sorry for the OP,
    I never said i felt sorry for him, i said what the association did was wrong and he has a right to be angry
    you are not paying but using all amenities provided
    and you pay for every amenity you avail of? for example do you pay for the use of an elevator in a shopping center? that's an amenity. under your notions that should be paid for too. at the end of the day, if a group of people decide to plant flowers and trees, collect litter and cut the grass on a public road then more power to them and ya know what I'm gonna reap the rewards of their labor no problem. but I'm under no obligation to pay for it coz guess what, i didn't enter into an agreement to do so. so what about the people not in the association, have they to close their eyes when walking by the lovely flowers?

and then complaining about a list which was probably sent as a generic mail to cut costs (others were probably complaining about the high cost), 50% of residents might have requested it, they can't please everybody especially someone who doesn't even contribute

what they should have done was sent a simple reminder letter to all members stating that some had not paid and could they do so at their earliest convenience, hell they should have only sent the letters to those that didn't pay, they did after all have a list of the names so it would have been more time and cost effective to only address those individuals would it not?

they can't please everyone but they do have to abide by the law. they breached data protection and should be reprimanded. would you be so relaxed about it if say your credit card company sent a letter to all other "members of their association" outlining what you hadn't paid them? i bet you'd be kicking up a storm wanting someone to loose their job over it. well just because it was "only" a residents association doesn't make it any less of a violation of privacy.

• Advertisement

I,m not spouting on about the act but the act is there to protect people from violations of they privacy. any breach of that is in my view serious and not silly, obviously you have little regard for your personal privacy and more power to you. i on the other hand take umbrage with anyone that would release that info without my prior written consent.

You are spouting on about the Act, the Data Protection Act does not protect the instance as described by the OP, that is very clear. You talking continously about it suggests that he is protected or that his rights have been violated. They have not. I never said they did not violate personal privacy or even that they way the residents association have behaved is 100% correct and I don't have little regard for personal privacy but I know that the data protection act does not protect him and wish you would stop saying it does. Privacy and consious in general are very different than activity protected by law, everyone can see that they have violated his privacy but what you are saying is that he is protected by Data Protection Act. He is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

in a word yes not the explicit wording coz I'm not a lawyer but my rights and obligations under the act yes I've a pretty good idea about it. Can I ask you the same question?

Like you, I'm not a solicitor, so I only know what I learned on a 5-day course for data-controllers. I agree that the act is there to protect the privacy of people, not to protect companies. I'm not sure where you thought I said otherwise.

I suspect that it's bizarre semantics territory. The DPA covers living people. I can get the information in a fair way (by knowing there's 100 houses numbered 1 to 100). If you really wanted to argue the toss, you could say that by identifying house number 17, I'm therefore identifying Mr Murphy who lives at number 17.

On the other hand the information is factually correct and available to those who should have it (other people living on the estate - it wasn't sent to the newspaper, for example).

I still maintain that the DPA doesn't have any relevance in this situation.

I seem to be the only one on here who doesn't feel sorry for the OP, you are not paying but using all amenities provided and then complaining about a list which was probably sent as a generic mail to cut costs (others were probably complaining about the high cost), 50% of residents might have requested it, they can't please everybody especially someone who doesn't even contribute.

I didnt come here looking for sympathy, Im not sure what your agenda is here.

Lets put it another way. If i was to go your estate and form a resident's association (or a second one if one already existed) and decided I wanted to erect pillars at the estate with a photo of Brian Cowen on each one and sought contributions from all residents, you probably wouldnt pay yeah? If i circulated a list of all residents and who had paid and not paid, you'd be might pissed off.

You probably think my example is different and extreme. How it is similar to my issue is that there is no contract/obligation/legal basis for issuing such public demands.

I wasn't aware that disagreeing with someone meant you had an agenda. If someone asked me to pay for Brian Cowan posters I would say no. If they sent around a list of who did and didn't pay I wouldn't be pissed off, I'm being completely honest, if they sent a list with marking for who paid and I wasn't marked off I wouldn't care, reason being that I have no problem not paying for Brian Cowan posters and wouldn't care who knew about it. I think differently, it is just my opinion, no agenda.

the Data Protection Act does not protect the instance as described by the OP, that is very clear. .

care to explain why? the association gathered date on their members, names addresses etc. they also gathered accounts data - ie who had or hadn't paid subscriptions.

so from dataprotection.ie
    In essence, you are a data controller if you can answer YES to the following question:-

Do you keep or process any information about living people?
    Types of Data Controller
    Data controllers can be either individuals or "legal persons" such as companies, Government Departments and voluntary organisations

so the OP was alive at the time of the letter going out. so living person, check. they gathered data so check. they processed the data - he didn't pay so check again. so by this definition that makes them a data controller.

they are also a voluntary association so again they fall under the rules of the act.

as such the must (again from dataprotection.ie)

1. Obtain and process the information fairly
    2. Keep it only for one or more specified and lawful purposes
    3. Process it only in ways compatible with the purposes for which it was given to you initially
    4. Keep it safe and secure

I'm gonna guess that this bit right here was violated when they put down he didn't pay and stuck it in everyones letterbox

5. Keep it accurate and up-to-date
    6. Ensure that it is adequate, relevant and not excessive
    7. Retain it no longer than is necessary for the specified purpose or purposes
    8. Give a copy of his/her personal data to any individual, on request.

You talking continously about it suggests that he is protected or that his rights have been violated. They have not. .

why? clearly from point 4 above that data was not secure because it was distributed, probably without consent of the OP.
    I know that the data protection act does not protect him and wish you would stop saying it does. .

you know? why are you the data protection commissioner? I know that the sky is in fact green and grass is blue. doesn't mean I'm right. provide proof that he isn't.
    given the above information directly from the data protection commission why would he not be covered?
    why would the association not be in violation of they duties as data controllers?

Privacy and consious in general are very different than activity protected by law, everyone can see that they have violated his privacy but what you are saying is that he is protected by Data Protection Act. He is not.

privacy is protected in law, the data protection act takes some steps in that regard as does the eCommerce act (IIRC) with the provisions included for encrypted data.

what i said is that the association clearly violated their duties as data controllers.

I'm sorry but I don't see how they they haven't breached the act, and i fail to see how the OP isn't protected. but obviously if you want to point out why fire away with the proof.

Thoie wrote:
    If you really wanted to argue the toss, you could say that by identifying house number 17, I'm therefore identifying Mr Murphy who lives at number 17.

only if that information isn't freely available to the public. if Murphy in 17 is registered voter it is available so that snippet is in the public domain and not covered. However if his phone number isn't listed in the phone book and you as a data controller have that information because Murphy provided it, then in theory you can't disclose it.
    Thoie wrote:
    available to those who should have it (other people living on the estate - it wasn't sent to the newspaper, for example).

WTF? other residents are entitled to know info about you coz you live beside them? that's the craziest thing I've heard in a long time. they have no right to info about you other than you live there. they are not even entitled to know your name if you don't want to tell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

yep sports and social clubs, associations and charities more or less fall under one loose umbrella in relation to company law what would loosely be described as non profit but legally obviously that term does not exist, other than that its a company of one form or another
    Actually what I found out was that for taxation purposes only specifically registered charities and sports clubs that hold regular sporting events can avail of the tax-free advantages normally associated with what we would think of as a "non profit". They also have to register as companies in order to have a legal structure in Irish law. Associations and social clubs don't make the grade, apparently.
    yeah that's what i meant not limited liability company sorry :o but the idea was the same just not the wording
    That is a limited liability company.

Advertisement