Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borderline Personality Disorder: Dialectical Behavioural Therapy

Options
  • 28-10-2008 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭

I've been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. My psychiatrist (and my own research) has told me that the most effective treatment is Dialectical Behavioural Therapy. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anywhere that offers such a therapy, and my psychiatrist isn't helping much either, but that's a whole other story. My issue is pretty simple: does anybody know where I can get DBT in Dublin, or does anybody who has BPD have any advice on therapies/treatments?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,918 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This post has some useful links OP

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=833337&postcount=2

Beyond referrals though it wouldn't be wise of anyone here to advise you on Therapies or Treatments - you need to consult a professional through one of the above associations. Good Luck.
    Gordon wrote: »
    This isn't a medical forum. Any medical problems really should be discussed with your GP.

Mental Health / Depression Help

* http://www.irish-counselling.ie/ Irish association of counselling and therapy
    * http://www.mdf.org.uk
    * http://www.depressionalliance.org
    * http://www.aware.ie The Aware loCall Helpline 1890 303 302
    * http://www.theblackdog.net
    * http://www.mentalhealthireland.ie/
    * Schizophrenia Ireland: Helpline 01 8601620, 1890 621 631 (Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm) www.sirl.ieinfo@sirl.ie
    * http://www.psihq.ie/find_psychologist.asp : If you are looking for a psycholigist

Depression help:

* Grow
    http://www.grow.ie/
    If you would like information on GROW or the location of your nearest GROW group, please do not hesitate to email us (info@grow.ie) or contact our National Information Line (1890 474 474).
    * Pieta House
    http://www.pieta.ie/
    Pieta House is open 9.00 - 17.00 Mon - Fri. (01) 601 00 00

Depression fora:

* http://www.depressionforums.org/
    * http://www.trappedminds.org....empty page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Hey OP,

Hope the diagnosis is helping you deal with things that little bit more.

All the best...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Aard wrote: »
    does anybody know where I can get DBT in Dublin

St Vincent's Hospital Fairview Dublin.
    They were offering training in DBT to other teams so they may be able to tell you about other places.

Ask your psychiatrist to check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Until you find a good therapist, you might find this book useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Thanks for the info, JuliusCaesar. I've checked the St Vincent's website, and they do offer DBT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fi0

Hi,

How did you get on? just got a diagnosis and need some advise on whats best to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brokenwings

:eek: where do i start?? im 26yrs old. i was diagnosed with bpd at 15 which i am told is too young but they labelled me!:mad: i have been to hell and back a million times over. so many hospital addmissions, for suicide attempts, for a lot of self harm... alcohol, drug abuse... my parents had no choice but to throw me out because things got so bad. i have been in the services 11 years now and it is still a daily struggle. i have been lucky in some ways being able to see counsellors, some who have helped, (some who have not :confused:). my parents are not well off so i have been attending public services, when i was twentyone i was offered or ordered to attend dialectical behavioral therapy (after, psychologists, cbt etc. ). :o i went along, got evaluated... for the 1000th time and they accepted me straight away. i was one of the the first to do it :rolleyes:... it involved group therapy, once a week and a therapist, who i also saw once a week and had daily contact with. it was heavy going and in the first few months i had done alot of damage to myself, like i was fighting this and didnt want the help. i completed the group and continued one to one but slipped further back, i still dont know why... they let me come back a second time. things are not as bad as they used to be but if i had the chance to start again, i wouldnt be so stupid and id fight for and through it... thank you for taking the time to read this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Graham74

Aard wrote: »
    I've been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. My psychiatrist (and my own research) has told me that the most effective treatment is Dialectical Behavioural Therapy. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anywhere that offers such a therapy, and my psychiatrist isn't helping much either, but that's a whole other story. My issue is pretty simple: does anybody know where I can get DBT in Dublin, or does anybody who has BPD have any advice on therapies/treatments?

Thanks.

Hey there. Like yourself I have just been diagnosed with BPD. Have you received any treatment? Did you find a DBT therapist?

Cheers,

Graham

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Dialectical Behavioural Therapy?

Use google before jumping in with such statements - count this as a warning. JC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

krd wrote: »
    Dialectical Behavioural Therapy?

Is this serious?

Is this something like you sit with a therapist and they read Marx, Hegel and Feurbach to ya?

What about a thread where people have mentioned their suicide attempts makes you think it is a good idea to post merely to make a joke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Graham74 wrote: »
    Hey there. Like yourself I have just been diagnosed with BPD. Have you received any treatment? Did you find a DBT therapist?

Cheers,

Graham
    Hi Graham.

It's nearly three years since I posted this thread, and a lot in my life has changed. I never got DBT, despite my efforts. I was "involved" with one in St James's -- I got as far as the orientation before they decided that they couldn't find funding for it. After having promised it for about 6mths beforehand. I did a bit of CBT (Cognitive behavioural therapy) on my own time, and it was very good indeed. I would recommend you go that route, as DBT is thin on the ground while CBT is relatively widespread. They are very similar therapies, basically getting you out of your comfort zone and into the "real world". It's hard going, very emotional, and I wanted to throw in the towel quite a bit. The effects are not immediate; more of an ongoing process.

My experience with medication is that it puts blinkers on you, so to speak. BDP people tend to take in many stimuli and treat them all equally as opposed to filtering out the crap and focussing on the important, consequently get overwhelmed, and then have a "slow return to emotional baseline". This last part I've seen written a lot in the literature. It means roughly that the more "bad" things that happen to you, it takes exponentially longer to get back to your baseline mood (i.e. to cool down). The medication blinkers you so you don't have all these "bad" things happening at once, and then your body learns how to cool down faster. Then when you finally come off the meds, this cooling down is automatic. The medication lets your head rest and recover; it can't do that if it's constantly battling with this slow return to emotional baseline.

I would recommend getting a good GP. One you have a rapport with, who you can go into and see and talk freely about anything. This relationship is very important, because let's face it -- BPD is all about being clueless when it comes to talking to anybody outside your little circle. So this relationship with your GP is the cornerstone of your recovery. Shop around, as it were, if you're unhappy with your current one. Another reason for the good GP is that if you're in the public system (like me), the registrars change in the hospitals every 6 months. Yes, I know -- it's utter bollox. You make no connection with your doctor, and have to begin the spiel every few visits, which grows tiresome. Also, at the risk of sounding racist/xenophobic, only one out of four of my psych registrars was Irish. One was American (no huge problems), one was Pakistani (spoke decent English but didn't understand some of the things I said, otherwise was alright), and the other was Nigerian (had passable English, a horrible manner, and didn't understand most of what I said -- I had to rephrase pretty much everything). The consultants are great, if ever you get a meeting with them that is.

Anyway, I could go on and on. PM me if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Graham74

Hey,

Thanks for the reply and the advice. The whole BPD thing is new to me so I'm feeling very alone with it if I'm honest.

I've been referred to Cluain Mhuire for DBT, but I think there might be a one year waiting list so not holding out on this. I've got a therapist but he's not too hot on CBT as he reckons once I find some meaning in my life again, most of the symptoms will dissapear. Its the depression and feelings of emptiness that I find most difficult. Did you have to struggle with depression too? Do you know of any support groups for BPD? Do you think it might be useful setting one up? I'm not sure how to PM as i'm new to Boards.

Cheers,

Graham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

How to PM

Click on the name of the person you want to PM. The second row says "send a private message to this person". Click on that, and you'll find Send New Private Message. PM=private message.

When you sign in, you'll see if you've received a PM up next to your name. Keep an eye out!
    Good luck.
    JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gmitwest

Hi, Just to add that there is a pilot program running in DBT in the Mercy Hospital in Cork and will be finishing up in September. Lets hope this will lead further widespread use of DBT based on the findings.

Dr Marsha Lineham (university of Washington) who developed DBT only revealed this year that she herself has Borderline Personality disorder.

DBT has been shown to be effective with suicidal and para- suicidal individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

gmitwest wrote: »
    Hi, Just to add that there is a pilot program running in DBT in the Mercy Hospital in Cork and will be finishing up in September. Lets hope this will lead further widespread use of DBT based on the findings.

Dr Marsha Lineham (university of Washington) who developed DBT only revealed this year that she herself has Borderline Personality disorder.

DBT has been shown to be effective with suicidal and para- suicidal individuals.

The DBT programme is running again this September for the second year and it looks like due to some funding, more teams will be trained in DBT in Dublin and Cork in the coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lilmissbadass

Hi guys I know this thread is fairly old. But seeing as there is not many Irish web pages online referirng to BPD I just wanted to let anyone who visits this thread know that there is now a new irish website open specifically for people who suffer with bpd as welll as other mental health issues. It has news, articles and information about BPD along with a great new forum and chat room where people with BPD and their loved ones can get involved. so if you or someone you know has BPD or any other mental illness and want somewhere to go to get support, vent or just to talk to other people who understand what you are going through, then check out this link http://www.bpdireland.org/# and hopefully if enough people join and get talking we can diminish the stigma attached with BPD:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SarahJC92

I'm starting DBT with the (free) Cluain Mhuire services soon. They are connected with St. John of gods hospital in stillorgan. Cluain Mhuire services are in blackrock. I'm never on forums and think this is five years old but just thought I'd post it for anyone else googling DBT like I am now! Good luck dudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 redcarnation

Hi just wondering if anyone knows where I can get dialectic therapy for a 16 year old. It only seems to be available in Ireland for adults. We desperately need this therapy for our daughter as all our research indicates that it is the most effective, but we are hitting a blank wall in trying to access this even though she is attending a child and adolescent mental health unit

PLEASE check the stickied threads at the top of this forum. Saves everyone repeating themselves: How to find a Psychologist. JC

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SarahJC92

I had a browse around the internet and was shocked at the lack of children & adolescent services let alone DBT services for them. ! I went to the Lucena Clinic when i was under 18 but I couldnt find out if they do DBT or not.
    I think the best thing to do is find contact information for a ton of psychologists, call them , and see if any of them provide it. If the mental health services don't do it, there has to be private psychologists? Good luck!

Advertisement