Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC vs Mac

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

PC all the way for me, if you look after them they function perfectly and the range of software is superior across the board !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Calina wrote: »

If you're going to be using the computer mainly for photography work, then I'd start by looking at what software you want. Mac has Aperture. I have looked at it. I have been underwhelmed. Everything else I have wanted is available for Windows and the actual hardware is dirt cheap.

Its worth remembering that Mac's have all the CS4 products as well as Lightroom 2.0 same as Windows and in my experience lightroom runs alot less clunky on a mac when compared to windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rasmasyean

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Woudn't want to burst your bubble.

There are various opinions on that but I think most are in favor of the fact that Apples cost more in both the short AND long run. See here.
    http://gizmodo.com/5065133/the-truth-about-the-apple-tax
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10064580-75.html

Even as the second one is from Microsoft, much of what he says really applies.

Each has its own positives and negatives but if I had to summarize it, I would say that:
    • Macs are “cheaper” in “total value” if you have a low (or no) IT budget/capability. This includes people who are really digitally challenged.
    • Macs are “better” when you have a specific application you need to run that is “better” on MacOS, like Final Cut or Adobe. Though Adobe CS4 is better on Vista because of the 64-bit (not available on Mac because they don’t the technology for it presently) for people doing advanced work. Now I'm not a "photgrapher" but I imagine that the touch screen in Vista has some usefulness to some.
    • PC’s are cheaper and better for most other scenarios.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    If you write a PC virus you are effectively competing against 100's of other viruses for 80% of the market, if you write a successful OSX virus you have 100% of the 20% PC market segment, which is more "lucrative"?

I’m not quite sure where you get that from. Because according to this it’s only about 8%. And this counts Internet users only. And furthermore it only counts Internet users in America mostly where Macs are the most dominant of the world market. And furthermore it discounts a lot of the windows PCs that are used for work and not on the Internet as much. But it’s OK, we understand that when you have nothing better to argue with you tend to make up things to prove a point! :rolleyes:

ostrendoctober2008zd7.th.jpgthpix.gif
    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Valentia wrote: »
    I'd love to know how many Lehman employees had to leave their glossy MacBooks behind them as they crawled down Manhattan with their tail between their legs.

I suspect ZERO.

You surprise me Danny, this is about as asinine as it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

i think this topic should be sent over to the tech board!! doesn't really address the OP or photography in general. Like to take a photograph you dont actually need a computer whatever make it is! :rolleyes:

Fionn wrote: »
    i think this topic should be sent over to the tech board!! doesn't really address the OP or photography in general. Like to take a photograph you dont actually need a computer whatever make it is! :rolleyes:

What?:confused: This is the 21st century! We don't do no film canister dark room processing anymore! Hey, get with the times! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

No, you dont. But do you usually fill a roll of film then throw it away without developing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

i think this topic should be sent over to the tech board!! doesn't really address the OP or photography in general.

No, it should probably just be locked... it's going around in the usual well worn circles Mac Vs PC threads usually go around in.

As was said on the first page, personal choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement