Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of the Dark

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,719 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

No, if anything I scare people when its dark. The amount of times my sister has called me a freak for walking around the house with no lights on is ridiculous.:D:D
    Can only guess its due to growing up in the country, no neighbours near-by. You tend to get over any fear of the dark pretty quick.:)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Galvasean wrote: »
    There's a difference between going around an urbanized area full of street lights. It's not proper dark. You can see just as far as you could during the day. Scary? No.

Now, wandering around in the back sticks of the country were there's no lights or buildings within a two kilometer radius and you can only see two or three feet ahead of you. That's proper darkness. that can be a bit darn freaky alright.

That is awesome ntohing like being so far out of the city that you can see the stars with no light pollution.

I like being out in the dark at night, you can hear a lot more and I have damn good night vision. I feel a lot more comfortable being out in the dark and the still of the night then during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

No nothing scares me RARRR! ;)

There's a difference between going around an urbanized area full of street lights. It's not proper dark. You can see just as far as you could during the day. Scary? No.

Now, wandering around in the back sticks of the country were there's no lights or buildings within a two kilometer radius and you can only see two or three feet ahead of you. That's proper darkness. that can be a bit darn freaky alright.

This is freaky, always freak me out , i wont even go out to the garage to get stick for the fire if its dark and im in the house on my own, leave the fire go out is my moto!!! Altho daylight walks are just as scary , when you turn around and theres a cow running up the road your way , but thats a different subject :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'm not particularly afraid of the dark, but sometimes I'm pretty scared of moving around my house at night, going to the bathroom was terrifying for years after hearing a really really stupid horror story about a hand coming up through the toilet when it's flushed....how embarrassing, that one had me so afraid from a young age!

Also my kitchen has big windows with no curtains so it's kinda scary if you're in a skittish mood.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Actually, being a culchie, darkness in the back of beyonds in the country doesn't bother me at all ... and it never is fully dark anyway.

Walking around the city in the middle of the night would make me more ... wary, I guess is the word, rather than scared, especially if it's an area I don't know.

More re: who might be hiding in that dark alley with robbery on his mind than of "the dark" as such though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I'm such a wuss. I always get scared of the dark. And the random shadows that come with it. Expecially when I'm in the house alone. As a few people have mentioned, I hate my kitchen coz it's lots of windows with no curtains and I'm always terrified to look out. And we have a sensor light in our back garden which randomly goes off when the washing line blows in front of it and scares the bejeebus out of me.

I know, I'm a disgrace. I'll let myself out...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Actually, being a culchie, darkness in the back of beyonds in the country doesn't bother me at all ... and it never is fully dark anyway.

Walking around the city in the middle of the night would make me more ... wary, I guess is the word, rather than scared, especially if it's an area I don't know.

More re: who might be hiding in that dark alley with robbery on his mind than of "the dark" as such though.

In the countryside,unless they are freaks like me,they'll rarely see you. In the city its easier to see whos prowling

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I hate sleeping alone because I get bothered by those dreams where someone is in the room, but you can't move. Then you can, and you're struggling to turn on the light or get out the door, suddenly you're back in your bed, awake, and struggling to turn on the light, or open the door, then you're back in your bed....... all the while the bastard in the room is delighting in your fear. :mad:

I often wake up feeling like I've been running back and forth through my bedroom all poxy night! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Moonspell

I prefer the dark to be honest, especially outdoors and most of all if not in town. You can almost "feel" one with what surrounds you.

Thou I admit, that first few seconds while my vision adjusts to the darkness and I can't see properly can be a bit distressful, not exactly scary! I think is becausee I used to wear contacts/specs and know whatt is not to be able to see :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I love the darkness in my house. I prefer to have either a small lamp or a candle to the main light. However I dont like the darkness in the countryside. I find the complete blackness with the accompanying silence quite unsettling. I've been freaked out enough by walking through woods and the ruins of an old house in the complete darkness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

<snip>no referencing illegal activities. Breach of charter,infraction given.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭DenMan

No I have never been afraid of the dark, in fact I quite like it (both inside and outside). In fact during adventure camps I was the only person trusted to leave the tents and retrieve supplies. Nobody else wanted to. Never understood why, I am inherently not a dark person (all the time), just don't seem to be affected by it.

My parents told me that as a small child I used to always sneak away and be gone for a while. Once saw a light in the forest when I was small and went to investigate. Nobody knew I had left. I do like small lights (lamps) when working or reading. I love candles. Spent some time in Dublin with a Lakota tribe and developed a huge interest in them from the Lakota people. Great for meditation and relaxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Am I afraid of the dark?

The only time i am afraid is when i cetch my reflection in the mirror in the dark .... looks like someone is walking beside me

freeks me out:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

As a child I was very fearful of the dark(like many I suppose).
    I would always want the bathroom light left on and my door open(so that I could see straight in to the bathroom across from me).

Now I couldn't sleep with any light. I like my bedroom pitch dark when sleeping....doesn't help when her good self wants to do a crossword/read at bedtime!
    This is a topic for another thread but for me bedtime is bedtime or some other playful activity!!! not time I spend reading/crosswords

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

When i was a kid i was very scared of the dark, that was untill the age of 11 when we moved to Co.DOnegal.

The house we moved into was the very last house on the road, halfway up a mountain with nothing around us for 2 miles.
    I realised at that point that even though it was completely dark at night, there was nothing around to be scared of.

However, i still find the darkness in the city fairly scary at times, because even though it is brightly lit in most places...there are shadows and movements everywhere.

Its not the dark you should be scared of, its whats possibly hiding in it.

DenMan wrote: »
    My parents told me that as a small child I used to always sneak away and be gone for a while. Once saw a light in the forest when I was small and went to investigate. Nobody knew I had left.
    You didn't by any chance read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe as a young kid, did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭DenMan

You didn't by any chance read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe as a young kid, did you?

Indeed I did Randy :), one of many fantasy novels. I was encouraged to read at a very early age. One of the few things my parents encouraged me to do.

DenMan wrote: »
    Indeed I did Randy :), one of many fantasy novels. I was encouraged to read at a very early age. One of the few things my parents encouraged me to do.
    Lol, thought so, I had to be hauled back by the scruff of my neck around midnight one night, was caught disappearing out the back door of a really old house which we were staying in, was on the edge of a forest and I had spotted a light deep in the trees from my bedroom window.

Think I was about 8 ... I kind of knew it couldn't be the lamp-post ... and yet ... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

hey!!!
    this isn;t a thread about iron maiden!!! :P
    Im not afraid of the dark at all..... i am afraid of my reflection in the dark
    well mirrors in general.... they scare the crap outta me and I cant look into them at night 'specially in public toilets :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    hey!!!
    this isn;t a thread about iron maiden!!! :P
    Im not afraid of the dark at all..... i am afraid of my reflection in the dark
    well mirrors in general.... they scare the crap outta me and I cant look into them at night 'specially in public toilets :(

Seriously dude....its ALWAYS handy to know whos behind you in public toilets at night......;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

I loled a little :P

Advertisement