Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do movies use airsoft ?

Options
  • 24-10-2008 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Apologies if it been linked before. I heard that the main characters in movies would have special prop guns but that extras and so on i.e. a load of police or military background extras would have high-end airsoft aegs.

Anybody know anything about this ?

Nice site if you want a movie load-out !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭hoplite

Hey thats a cool link thanks. Good thread idea too +1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i hear that in transformers you can get a glimpse of a hi cap winder on an extra's G36c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭hoplite

At last a justification for getting blu-ray!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I know the new punisher movie uses airsoft gear. i'll post a link later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

horgan_p wrote: »
    I know the new punisher movie uses airsoft gear. i'll post a link later

sweet cant wait, just hope they stuck to the garth ennis style this time and you can see the irish mind in the movie :D a claymore is a must

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I supply and build various props to a bunch of photographers and short film makers. Airsoft rifles are often used (indeed I've supplied them on several occasions) in movies where the rifles in the scene are not going to be firing. This is done for several reasons but mainly for cost and safety. Running around all day with an airsoft rifle with no battery or ammo is a damn sight safer than running around with a blank firer or a fully capable rifle.
    Getting a dozen or so airsoft rifles is also a lot cheaper. Not only for purchasing/rental of the units, but also it removes the need to acquire special firearms licences for the set as well as have an armourer on call at all times, weapons safety officers etc.

It's a far more common practice in movies than you might think. From low budget Irish films, right up to blockbuster Hollywood epics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Heckler

NakedDex wrote: »
    I supply and build various props to a bunch of photographers and short film makers. Airsoft rifles are often used (indeed I've supplied them on several occasions) in movies where the rifles in the scene are not going to be firing. This is done for several reasons but mainly for cost and safety. Running around all day with an airsoft rifle with no battery or ammo is a damn sight safer than running around with a blank firer or a fully capable rifle.
    Getting a dozen or so airsoft rifles is also a lot cheaper. Not only for purchasing/rental of the units, but also it removes the need to acquire special firearms licences for the set as well as have an armourer on call at all times, weapons safety officers etc.

It's a far more common practice in movies than you might think. From low budget Irish films, right up to blockbuster Hollywood epics.

Thats what I thought. Could have sworn I saw gas points on GBB pistols in numerous movies. Anyone know what they use when firing an obvious onscreen gun ? i.e. the main characters. Blank shooters ? Do they eject shell casings ? Also heard a lot of muzzle flash and sound effects are added in post-production. Just curious.

I remember years ago i saw a behind-the-scenes thing of some aussie cop show. An actor removed his pistol from his holster and the thing ended just below the hammer ! Just enough to make it look believable in the holster. Then I believe airsoft is banned in Australia and they have very severe restrictions on firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

One of the episodes of Fringe shows a pistol on the ground with the base of the mag facing the camera and you can see the valve for filling it with gas.

Also if you look closely at any given episode of Stargate you'll see a real P90 pop up compared to all the TM ones around it (it gets fired a few moments afterwards and you can see the casings come out of it).

I think in general airsofts versions are being used a lot more in movies/tv shows for the reasons NakedDex said.

Heckler wrote: »
    Thats what I thought. Could have sworn I saw gas points on GBB pistols in numerous movies. Anyone know what they use when firing an obvious onscreen gun ? i.e. the main characters. Blank shooters ? Do they eject shell casings ? Also heard a lot of muzzle flash and sound effects are added in post-production. Just curious.

sometime not always, i have had to add gun sfx before in post

Sometimes you'll see the casings - P90's in Stargate often don't have any casings coming out but sometimes you'll see they managed to get the blanks (a worldwide shortage due to the gulf war 2) and it was always RDA using it, the rest of the time it was probably fx.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

heres the footage :

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1666118/punisher_war_zone_restricted_footage/

here's the blurb on arnies :
    http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/news2/3378

its at around 1:34 on the video. its their launcher apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

One of the episodes of Fringe shows a pistol on the ground with the base of the mag facing the camera and you can see the valve for filling it with gas.

Also if you look closely at any given episode of Stargate you'll see a real P90 pop up compared to all the TM ones around it (it gets fired a few moments afterwards and you can see the casings come out of it).

I think in general airsofts versions are being used a lot more in movies/tv shows for the reasons NakedDex said.

Which episode of Fringe was that?

A lot of pistols have an exposed tension screw on the base plate of the magazine. Airsifters often confuse this with a fill valve. Sometimes it can be, more often it's not. Blank firers will always be used for action sequences to show recoil, smoke and brass. The difference is, they use a low power blank that produces a lot of flame and only half the kick. This is purely so the hero of the hour can do silly things like dual wield Desert Eagles without breaking their arms and still look good.

horgan_p wrote: »
    heres the footage :

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1666118/punisher_war_zone_restricted_footage/

here's the blurb on arnies :
    http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/news2/3378

its at around 1:34 on the video. its their launcher apparently

cool cool, as i said before garth ennis :rolleyes:

Which episode of Fringe was that?

Can't for the life of me remember, but probably ep 2 or 3. All I could think of was 'would they not cover the hole for the gas valve'.

I guess its one of those things where you'd have to be an airsofter to notice it, like with the winding wheel on the high caps :pac:

NakedDex wrote: »
    A lot of pistols have an exposed tension screw on the base plate of the magazine. Airsifters often confuse this with a fill valve. Sometimes it can be, more often it's not. Blank firers will always be used for action sequences to show recoil, smoke and brass. The difference is, they use a low power blank that produces a lot of flame and only half the kick. This is purely so the hero of the hour can do silly things like dual wield Desert Eagles without breaking their arms and still look good.

Cheers. Thats probably what I confused. A gas valve and tension screw. Thanks !

Love to get my mitts on Will Smiths AR15 with the attachments. Looks great in I Am Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

I believe propane fired guns are used aswell in movies, but yes, quite often airsoft guns appear in movies, infact quite often I find myself looking for the evidence as to whether it's real or not :)

Cheers. Thats probably what I confused. A gas valve and tension screw. Thanks !

Love to get my mitts on Will Smiths AR15 with the attachments. Looks great in I Am Legend.

Off-topic, but Redwolfairsoft.com released a custom AEG not long after I Am Legend came out which was apparently quite similar.

Edit: Here it is: http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ProductDetail?prodID=23878

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

Course some movies just use painted plastic guns "shapes" when they need lots & lots of guns; Saving Pte Ryan for example.

kdouglas wrote: »
    Off-topic, but Redwolfairsoft.com released a custom AEG not long after I Am Legend came out which was apparently quite similar.

Edit: Here it is: http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ProductDetail?prodID=23878

WOW, that works out (if its Hong Kong Dollars) quite cheap.

• Advertisement

Course some movies just use painted plastic guns "shapes" when they need lots & lots of guns; Saving Pte Ryan for example.

Heard that as well. Only the main characters got the real deal be it deacts or whatever and the rest were made from rubber !! Anyone know is there a site to buy movie props be it guns, clothes etc ? What happens to all the stuff once any movie is made ? Put into storage never to be seen again ?

Often it's sold off. Some of it is stored, like rifles and dynamic effects props, and some of the main iconic pieces would be stored for further use or for museum placement.

Between Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, it suddenly became nigh on impossible to get good WW2 uniforms. Reproductions even became scarce and the price spiked dramatically. I've been after a 1942 Class A uniform for a while with absolutely no avail unless I want to spend 300 on the jacket alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Necron99

V for Vendetta all the soldiers guarding parliment are using Airsoft stuff so in all probs all or most of the guns in it are A/S.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

airsoft props are used extensively in films and tv, there used for a number of reason , price, insurance -its far easier to give a aeg with no battery to a background actor or even a primary during shooting when not real firing is called for, also if your filming in some country there may be very tight controls on real steel, airsoft props just means things are a bit easier,

you can also see the hop up wheel of a hi cap in 28 weeks latter

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

At least now using airsoft gun it looks like they're actually carrying real guns unlike prior to this when they'd carry plastic guns which were light as a feather ... and looked it.
    Either that or actors were just a lot stronger back then :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Did anyone watch Fair City last night? (And no i dont watch that sh*te.:p)

There was a guy with an airsoft Beretta Cougar on it.,

vtec wrote: »
    Did anyone watch Fair City last night? (And no i dont watch that sh*te.:p)

There was a guy with an airsoft Beretta Cougar on it.,

which retailer sells that? yeah you were to busy talkin about the missuse of packets of crisps on the airsoft irc lol :D:D

WOW, that works out (if its Hong Kong Dollars) quite cheap.

Unfortunately it's US Dollars, not HK :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, V for Vendetta, not even airsoft: http://www.shadowgalaxy.net/Vendetta/blog/images/trafalgar03.jpg
    Unless its cyma, but I doubt even they have that bad a finish.

• Advertisement

I doubt strongly that is a prop from the movie, or that they're actors from it. The costumes look unfinished and that movie had a big enough budget to stretch to a couple of hundred rented G36's. The days of polycast weapon props are long over.

Advertisement