Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 90 Discussion - **Will Contain Spoilers**

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Sherk looking class so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Fvck Setanta, missed the Sherk fight first replay at 7pm cause they advertised it as UFC 89.
    Wrong man won the Sherk/Griffin match though in my honest opinion.

WHAT??!! Thought Sherk won every round 30-27. He worked more, got takedowns, showed a better variety of striking (e.g. punches, knees, teeps and leg kicks whereas Griffen mainly threw bombs and the odd leg kick) and covered up on a lot of Griffen's shots and then counter striked.

Think Alves was very impressive and will be a real threat to St Pierre/BJ.

Thought the writing was on the wall for Cote, injury or not. TBH, I thought Spider showed Cote TOO much respect and could have stopped him at nearly any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I was yelling at the TV in hope for something to happen here. All Grey did was stall, stall, and stall. It was a borefest. If you'd paid your money for that turd of a match you'd have been pissed off too. The booing for the end of the main event was a lot more disrespectful in my opinion.

Sounds like you should be watching K-1 or Boxing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Why was this not on live ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Sounds like you should be watching K-1 or Boxing!

I'm on for a good ground game, but there's a difference between a ground game, and a ground stall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

redout wrote: »
    Why was this not on live ?

It was? It was on Setanta 1 at 2am, or 3am if you didn't put your clocks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

OK hear me out regarding Sherk vs. Griffin. Joe Rogan can be so incredibly biased sometimes and so can the action replays. I sky+ that fight and after watching it a few times I've realised most if not all of the replays focus on Griffin scoring punches whilst completing ignoring some of the crackers Sherk got. Joe Rogan goes on and on and on about Tyson Griffin, he always has, and in every fight literally kissed griffins ass unabashedly. I think people might have though griffin won solely by the biased reporting. Sherk clearly won the fight for me no doubt about it. I have more UFC conspiracy theories if anyone wants to hear them:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Silva was toying with Cote, Cote has an interview up on youtube saying he messed up Silva.

http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/10/27/cote-i-fcked-him-up-really-bad/

Tyson Sherk was a good fight, alot of times wrestler vs wrestler is a snooze fest.

Alves was awesome, kicking myself for forgetting to put money on this fight

Crowd was awful, booing practically every fight.

Ref for the Maynard Clementi fight ereally annoyed me, it wasnt the best fight, but both fighters were working to advance position, his repeated warnings were irritating, especially when he didnt actually stand them up.

Silva talks on Cote fight. Its fairly weak stuff, given what Silva did to Marquardt in about 15 seconds. Silva had Cote down against the cage and was looking to help him to his feet.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/silva-on-disrespecting-cote-absolutely-not-true-14938

Anderson Silva did not deliver one of his typical performances against Patrick Cote at UFC 90.

Although he was winning the fight before Cote’s injury in the third round, the UFC middleweight champion was booed by fans for his evasive strategy and later he was even criticized by some for “disrespecting” his opponent.

“There are many people saying I was disrespecting Cote, but this is absolutely not true,” Silva told Sherdog.com. “My game plan since the beginning was fight five rounds, inducing him to commit mistakes and capitalize on that during the first three rounds and look for the knockout during the fourth and fifth rounds. It was working, and the biggest proof of that is that I almost didn’t waste any blows. I connected with a couple of good punches and knees, but unfortunately he got hurt and the fight was over. This is not my fault.”

Asked about a possible rematch with Cote, Silva left it to UFC President Dana White, who was openly baffled by the Brazilian’s performance.

“If Dana White believes [Cote] deserves it,” Silva said, “I’ll be ready.”

Silva also said he had not heard the rumor of a possible meeting with Chuck Liddell at 205 pounds.

“Thank you for the information, I didn’t know about that,” he told Sherdog.com. “Let’s see what [Dana White] will say.

In the meantime, Silva, now 8-0 in the Octagon, is planning a vacation.

“I’m going to spend one week in Tibet in a house of a close friend, and right after I’m going to spend some time in Thailand sharpening my muay Thai.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I find it incredibly annoying the way some people will turn on a fighter for what they see as one bad performance. Anderson Silva has provided us with, in my honest opinion, some of the mos brutally destructive MMA that i have seen in a while.

Whilst i don't think he is currently the top P4P fighter in the world i think he is, without a doubt, the most likely candidate for setting a new standard by which we judge that.

I was watching his fight and figured like a lot of people that i talked to that he was respectful of Cotes power and was planning on staying out and wearing him down over the course of the fight.

Only an idiot thinks he will not get tagged. The interesting thing is that on Fight Metric Cote did better than anyone against the spider, if you boil it down to the numbers. It was pretty obvious that Cote was planning on giving himself 5 rounds to land on Silva and i can't say i blame him. In a championship fight you get 25 mins to do the job. No point in rushing it and getting knocked the **** out. It's a shame that in this case both fighters following their game plan meant a slow first two rounds, but it is what it is.

It's takes nothing away from either as a fighter in my view.

Alves once again impressed the hell out of me. He will make an interest opponent for GSP i think. GSP has been rolling people with a blend of athleticism and skill that few can match. Alves is another athletic and dynamic fighter. Would love to see this fight happen, assuming GSP makes it through BJ.

But thats another thread.

• Advertisement

Dont get me wrong Dragan, I am not turning on Anderson, he is perfectly entitled to fight any fight he wants. My point is that he was toying with Cote, and that he disrespected him. He had Cote on his back and he offered to help him up. Cote has a great chin, and its fair enough to be fearful of his hands, but he is nowhere as dangerous as Marquadt off his back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dunkamania wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong Dragan, I am not turning on Anderson, he is perfectly entitled to fight any fight he wants. My point is that he was toying with Cote, and that he disrespected him. He had Cote on his back and he offered to help him up. Cote has a great chin, and its fair enough to be fearful of his hands, but he is nowhere as dangerous as Marquadt off his back.

Personally Anderson looked bored. I don't think he wanted to do anything other than knock out a guy who has never been knocked out.

Advertisement