Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old start to organise

Options
  • 17-10-2008 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

From the Age Action Ireland website:
    Due to public outcry Age Action Ireland is holding a public meeting on Tuesday October 21st at 11:00am, O’Callaghan Alexander Hotel, Fenian Street, Off Merrion Square, Dublin 2. (It is beside the Eircom Building and Gingerman pub).

We are encouraging as many people to attend as possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

for why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

kaimera wrote: »
    for why?

No medical card for over 70's?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I'll hazard a guess and say it probably has something to do with what used to be a free Medical card for the over 70's now being means tested after Tuesdays budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Lousy freeloading old people!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

:eek: Z-Day is upon us! Somebody alert the lads at the Zombie Survival forum. They'll know what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

I wonder will they be so happy about promoting their age now...

"I'm 69 years of ages you know."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hmm, I'd be very suspicious.

"Yes, come in come in" <locks door> <sound of hissing gas and bodies slumping>

"MWAAAAAAAAHAWHAWHAWHAWWWWW"

Am I too paranoid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Down with this sort of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Expect a large Garda presence with riot gear just in case these folk get out of hand. :eek:

Expect a large Garda presence with riot gear just in case these folk get out of hand. :eek:

"I have a scalding cup of tea here and I'm not afraid to use it..." more like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Yeah, very witty. Believe me, kiddies, you don't want the old getting angry.

Anna Manahan (84) has already come up with some lovely ideas:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/actress-threatens-to-quit-country-over-card-debacle-1501416.html
    "Every one of them, from that Bertie Ahern down, all they ever do is spout figures at you, including the Harney one. They come on and it's just percentages and figures. People simply want to know about reality and what is going to happen to them," she said.

"I advocate that we round up Brian Cowen, Brian Lenihan, Mary Harney, Willie O'Dea, put them into stockades and allow everybody to throw eggs and rotten tomatoes at them."

Just heading to Lidl. Heard they have a special offer on soft tomatoes.

luckat wrote: »
    Yeah, very witty. Believe me, kiddies, you don't want the old getting angry.

Anna Manahan (84) has already come up with some lovely ideas:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/actress-threatens-to-quit-country-over-card-debacle-1501416.html

Just heading to Lidl. Heard they have a special offer on soft tomatoes.

..........why 'soft'. Why not size-of-a-babys-head potatoes? And I'm talking about at the old.

Why wouldn't we want the old getting angry? What, they're going to shake their sticks at us and call us jovial names? Oh, ow. I don't think I can take much more, ack.....I'm dyiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. And more bullsh!t sarcasm a go-go.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

chin_grin wrote: »
    Hmm, I'd be very suspicious.

"Yes, come in come in" <locks door> <sound of hissing gas and bodies slumping>

"MWAAAAAAAAHAWHAWHAWHAWWWWW"

Am I too paranoid?

brillant:)

Why wouldn't we want the old getting angry? What, they're going to shake their sticks at us and call us jovial names? Oh, ow. I don't think I can take much more, ack.....I'm dyiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. And more bullsh!t sarcasm a go-go.

Heh.

Well why? The old are intrinsically more radical. Because of people like those posting on this thread, they're more disaffected, less part of society. They have the energy of slaves.

Heh.

Well why? The old are intrinsically more radical. Because of people like those posting on this thread, they're more disaffected, less part of society. They have the energy of slaves.

I agree the oul have been through A LOT. Like, eh.......um.....biscuits without jam and chocolate on them.....and.....uh....the internet. So get em back to what they're good at, conscript the old! They would be far more effective than any Weapon of Mass Destruction.

(But to be serious for a moment....it's Friday...I feel a little 'fruity'. And as I believe that we can learn a lot from our beloved old members of society, they freak the motherf*ck out of me. And I wish they would stop driving cars, taking so long to fish out change/get on/off buses....and all the other -isms they have. Swear, I'm really dreading becoming that way myself!)

And I wish they would stop driving cars, taking so long to fish out change/get on/off buses....and all the other -isms they have. Swear, I'm really dreading becoming that way myself!)

Funny, these are all the things that annoy me about the young. Fecking boy racers and their lookit-me music and selfish swerving bullying driving; dopey-faced lads with hanging jaws staring into space until asked for money, then leaping like gaffed salmon with shock and fishing in their jeans pockets for change to count. out. slowly., gangs of them standing in the middle of the path talking and scratching their arses...

Luckily, one of the superpowers of the old is invisibility, so they never see my annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Lol it sounds like that South Park episode "Grey Dawn" senior town meeting! and all the seniors driving there, my GOD run for your lives! :D Ageist I know but still funny

Yes, yes, it's popular to mock the old. It's just as funny as those side-splitting Step'n Fetchit jokes of the 1960s were to black people. Choose your alien group and mock them; it proves your intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

:( Well the old are seen as second class citizens, I know from first hand experience how the elderly are mistreated even by their own family members.

Funny, these are all the things that annoy me about the young. Fecking boy racers and their lookit-me music and selfish swerving bullying driving; dopey-faced lads with hanging jaws staring into space until asked for money, then leaping like gaffed salmon with shock and fishing in their jeans pockets for change to count. out. slowly., gangs of them standing in the middle of the path talking and scratching their arses...

Luckily, one of the superpowers of the old is invisibility, so they never see my annoyance.

Ooh, just wanted to clarify that I don't drive. Not out of lack of money (from all the "bodacious part-aying" that I do) or time (see previous excuse), but because I have a genuine fear that I'm going to kill some oul one/fella on the road and ultimately myself.

I'm at the stage of my life where misanthropy and fear of the young/old go hand in hand. (late twenties). I hate "youts" (youths, but in a Dublin accent), and have the same feeling towards the other end of the scale of life. Anyway, to cut a long (and boring) story short. Mr Furrow Brow. That's me. Although that also freaks me out, that I'm going to be that oul lad. Chasing kids with a stick and a bald spot in my slippers and dressing gown throwing slices of (those ready-sliced) cheese at them as it was the first weapon that was in my hand at the time. (The stick would be too obvious).

PS: Christ, my apologies for the overuse of brackets in the above. My stream of consciousness is now a babbling brook.........aw.....nice to look at, but doesn't change (erode) sh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Very inconsiderate. That only leaves them 4 days to make it to the meeting. What about the ones that have to walk across town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I'm pretty sure I know where babies come from, but where the hell do old people come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

kaimera wrote: »
    for why?

Those pesky kids next door won't lower the music down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

They should take the travel alllowance away - that'd put paid to these public displays

Where do old people come from? You, dear. As you look at the smooth, plump face of some wealthy politician announcing another attack on the poor, just think to yourself "That's my gran who's under attack today, but it's me in a few years."

Liveline has been getting calls that would open your eyes - it's obvious that this new PD disaster is going to cause the hospitals to be flooded with the old and sick.

The removal of their medical cards will throw a lot of people into pauperdom, making them a *total* charge on society, and taking away the invisible workforce of the old - the free childcare, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Your talking about people some of whom will have sons, daughters and granchildren who post on here ,yore Ma and Da .:eek:

Seriously though these are people who in the main have worked all their lives and paid the tax etc so good luck and best wish to them in their protest this weekend .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Old people now think they have it hard ?!? By the time im 80 the oap will be long extinct, hospitals will just be corridors with gurneys on them to save money. Income tax will 80% ! and that`ll be the lower band. We`ll still be paying back the 600 billion brian cowen thought would never loose after all the banks crash ! The Super EU will have conscription and ill either have to fight the russians/chinese or work in a state abortion camp. Its all so terrible im going to start moaning about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

This isn't country kitchen buffet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

imo this budget is the worst thing ff have done since biffo came in.

yes.... even worse than those oppressive alcohol opening hours.

btw, hopefully i won't ever get old coz in 60 years time life expectancy will be 120, and by the time i reach 90 it will be 200 and by the time i'm 170 we'll be cured of this horrible disease called "ageing".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement