Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burn After Reading

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I liked it, I'd give it a 7/10 though.

Not the greatest movie I've ever seen but good none the less. For such a large cast I was surprised by its relatively small runtime. It makes it feel like each actor only has a handful of lines in the movie.

Loved the final act also, I thought George Clooney was excellent in his last scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

When I go to a film it's to be entertained. I don't think about the performances, the directing, the lighting, etc. I just get immersed in the story and the more immersed the better the film obviously.

Burn After Reading had me quite fidgety for (aprox.) the first half hour and I wasn't very impressed but then it took off and from there to the finish it just got better and better.

The final scene had me laughing in the car 10 minutes after the film ended. That CIA chief's reaction to the whole situation was worth the admission alone. He was the star of the show as far as I was concerned although Malkovic (who I don't normally like) was excellent and Pitt (who I do normally like) was a bit OTT.

4 1/2 out of 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Decent movie. I thought everyone did a good job except Bradley there who was painfully miscast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just finished watching this...

I'm not really a fan of the Coen brothers but i did find this entertaining. The only thing that sucked was it ended as soon as it started to get more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Pigman II wrote: »
    Decent movie. I thought everyone did a good job except Bradley there who was painfully miscast.

yeah I really did not like Brad in this. I was painfully aware that he was acting throughout. I think he is just too old to be playing someone so young. I just couldn't get into the scenes where he was jumping around or talking like a 20 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

I went expecting very little considering some of the comments here but was actually really surprised. I loved it! I loved the ridiculousness of the plot, and how deep the characters were getting into it. Found myself laughing at random moments just thinking about the concept in general.

And the scenes with the CIA chief were just pure gold, couldnt stop laughing :D I'd definitely advise people to give this a chance and go without any pre assumptions. As someone above said, enjoy it for what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

i liked it and i don't always like the Coens movies. The cast was great although i agree Tilda swinton was wasted. Brad was v funny esp the phonecall scene, Mcdormand was watchable as always and Clooney was very good and HOT! i even liked john malcovich who leaves me cold most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Heard a bit about this and caught it on the plane while flying to Ireland the other day. Absolute fucking horse shit. A crap storyline that isn't pounced upon because everyone is too busy oohing and aahing over Clooney and Pitt.

1 out of 10

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Heard a bit about this and caught it on the plane while flying to Ireland the other day. Absolute fucking horse shit. A crap storyline that isn't pounced upon because everyone is too busy oohing and aahing over Clooney and Pitt.

1 out of 10
    OOhing and aahing over Clooney ... i agree but not Pitt !!!

In fairness it wasn't THAT bad !! had some funny moments. Didn't you laugh during the phone call scene?

No.

It was just a crap film. Mainly because, as someone said,
    Malkovich's character wasn't of any importance and the info he had was absolutely pointless

• Advertisement

No.

It was just a crap film. Mainly because, as someone said,
    Malkovich's character wasn't of any importance and the info he had was absolutely pointless
    Don't you have a sense of humour !!

The chair Clooney was building???

thermo66 wrote: »
    Don't you have a sense of humour !!

Yes I do. That scene wasn't humorous.
    The chair Clooney was building???

That did get a snigger alright, and probably is the reason why I gave the movie a 1 and not a 0.

Yes I do. That scene wasn't humorous.

That did get a snigger alright, and probably is the reason why I gave the movie a 1 and not a 0.
    Harsh !! But i bet if Jennifer Aniston or Jessica Alba were in it you'd give it more... Admit it

Harsh !! But i bet if Jennifer Aniston or Jessica Alba were in it you'd give it more... Admit it

I try not to be that superficial when judging a movie.

Neither of them are anything to write home about anyway in terms of talent and I've seen better looking women walking down the street so no, it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

I try not to be that superficial when judging a movie.

Neither of them are anything to write home about anyway in terms of talent and I've seen better looking women walking down the street so no, it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.
    OKKayy!!! Cheer up mate it might never happen !!

OKKayy!!! Cheer up mate it might never happen !!

But it did happen. I saw the movie :(

But it did happen. I saw the movie :(
    The notebook is good !! Go watch that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Saw it last night...very very enjoyable film. And the more I think back on it, the funnier I find it. As its the Coen's type of humour, its easy to understand why people don't like it. But that isn't going to stop me enjoying it.

As someone else said, the CIA chief was brilliant. Really enjoyed his stuff, even if it was only roughly 3 or 4 lines. Malkovich is very very good, that image of him walking down the pier, followed by the one of him in the house a few minutes later....very good I found. Even the first scene got a good laugh out of me, as did Clooneys chair. Very enjoyable though, will watch it again, and soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just saw this on tg4

what a cak of sh!t, didn't laugh once

Advertisement