Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&C Duo tone

Options
  • 14-10-2008 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, following on from a thread last year where I was asking RedRob about his duo tone technique (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055126831), finally got around to buying a circ polariser and trying it out.

Not happy with the way some of the cloud detail is lost, think I may have overexposed the sky a tad and blown some of the detail as a result.

This is my first time posting up a pic so please be gentle ;)

2942134377_343512d635_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Ooo I love that. The tones are beautiful. Lovely drama in the sky.

As for criticism. Hmmm.. being nit-picky - my eye is going straight to the white line in the water. I'd lose that. And maybe the power lines too? If it were my shot I'd maybe crop out a lot of the water as the sky is where the shot is really doing stuff. That's just my opinion though..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Hmmm, on my screen anyways, I think you've done a great job on the clouds, but the foreground needs more work, it needs to be much brighter to compete with that sky! The reflection of the clouds could be much much stronger than that!

Good stuff though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Thanks for the great replies guys :).
    Fajitas! wrote:
    Hmmm, on my screen anyways, I think you've done a great job on the clouds

weird that, thought I'd blown it in places. maybe it's just my screen at home so?

agree with both of you on the foreground, either need to crop or bring out the reflection more. It's the one area of RedRobs excellent guide that I wasn't sure of, I kept getting a foreground that was way too dark.
    RedRob wrote:
    Create two new, empty layers. Set to overlay mode and transparency to around 55%. On each layer create a gradient from black to to transparent, going from black at top/bottom vertically to the horizon - the gradient going from bottom to horizon mirrors the effect on the sky in the reflected sky.
    Think that maybe down to my inexperience with Photoshop though as this was my first time using layers etc. Got an awful lot to learn.

Never noticed the power lines or white line in the water Sinead, cheers for that. Amazing what another eye will spot! Can't see the pic in work (damn security policies! :rolleyes:), will check it out tonight. I'll see what I can do with reworking the foreground too.

Again cheers for the really helpful advice guys, appreciate it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Ok, old thread revived, took another stab at this this evening, haven't had any time until now :rolleyes:. Going to upload for printing probably tomorrow so before I do any thoughts for improvement? Cheers ;)

3114137666_0210c4089c_b.jpg

Advertisement