Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats that thread?

Options
  • 27-07-2007 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Ok, bit vague but I'm looking for a thread I was reading back in May which I forgot to subscribe to. Can't remember who the OP was but the subject matter was some photos taken out on the beach around Ringsend I think or maybe a bit further that way which had been processed with Photoshop to introduce duotones with blue being the predominant colour. Really liked the pics and would like to try the same type of technique so if anyone knows what the hell I'm talking about would really appreciate a link. :)

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Have a look at posts by thebaz
    THink he posted the Ringsend shots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

hey Sebzy, sorry I never replied, from what I recall my machine at home crashed that weekend just after I'd read your response and by the time I got it fixed I'd forgotten all about the thread :o. Just saw this when I was cleaning up my inbox so quick one to say thanks. Hate it when people don't acknowledge responses to questions ;)

Anyway unfortunately it wasn't by Baz, was around the time he posted a question on lens flare though as I'd replied to that and was browsing through the forum around that time.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭redrob13

Would these be what you're talking about? I don't remember ever posting these here, but it sounds like they may fit the description.

140002941_c1c70e8be5.jpg

140003078_3ffbcfe186.jpg

yep, they're the ones alright! That's great Rob, really appreciate it. Can't find the thread you posted them in, anyone any idea how to do that? It's not a thread started by Rob which would explain why I couldn't find them.

Failing that, is there any chance you could do a quick run through how you got that effect Rob?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

They're lovely, Redrob. The colour works really well :)

• Advertisement

It's a while since I did the conversion on these, and the psd file is backed up on a DVD somewhere 'safe' (i.e. the last place I'd look for it). So, while I know the basic steps, I don't have the exact settings I used ...

To bring out the reflections and emphasise the contrast between the clouds and sky the pictures were taken with a circ polariser. Then processed with these steps:
    • Converted to black and white, use your method of choice, but processed to maximise the dark sky and white clouds.
    • Create two new, empty layers. Set to overlay mode and transparency to around 55%. On each layer create a gradient from black to to transparent, going from black at top/bottom vertically to the horizon - the gradient going from bottom to horizon mirrors the effect on the sky in the reflected sky.
    • Boost the contrast a bit with an adjusment layer.
    • Use a levels adjustment layer to push the contrast, bringing out the inkiness but keeping the detail in the clouds.
    • Create a hue/saturation adjustment layer. Set to 'colorize'. Adjust hue and saturation to get desired tone, to bring out the inky tones tweak the lightness to around -10. (In these I used about hue:213, saturation:45)
    • At this stage you can go back and adjust the transparency on the gradient layers to get the desired results. You may also want to look at the levels again, with an eye to maintaining detail in the clouds.

That's probably as clear as mud, but maybe it'll get you moving in the right direction.

Hey Rob, cheers for the detailed answer. Excuse my ignorance here as it's the first time I've heard of circular polarisation (had to look it up!).
    Anyway I get the concept so will be looking into getting one, what brand did you use?
    Also did the use of one make a big impact on the photo or could you get away with creating a filter in PS?

Going to go through all my pics over the next few days and see if I can find anything suitable to start with, think I should have a few that might be good to try on.

Thanks again :)

No problem, while there'll be a quality difference between different brands of filters, and then varieties within brands, the basic effect of what the filter is meant to do won't vary. This is basically the same as the one I happen to have, although mine is 58mm to fit the lens.

I'm no expert, but as I understand it, you can replicate some of the effects of a polariser in PS, such as the increased saturation, improved contrast in the sky, etc. However, when it comes to reflections in glass, water, etc., you've either captured them or you haven't (depending on what you were intending), and no PS filter is going to recover something that isn't captured in the initial exposure.

Good luck with your attempts, but don't follow what I did to the letter, play with it to get something which suits what you're working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Maybe it'd be an idea to move this to digital darkroom? I must find someway of putting all these somewhere handy. I like the idea of this.

redrob13 wrote:
    However, when it comes to reflections in glass, water, etc., you've either captured them or you haven't (depending on what you were intending), and no PS filter is going to recover something that isn't captured in the initial exposure.

thought that might be the case. Was asking about PS really cos I didn't realise you could get a decent filter that cheap. Think I'll head up to Gunns this weekend and see if they've got any Hoyas in stock for a decent price, failing finding something for a reasonable price around town I'll go with the link you put up.

Again thanks for all the helpful posts Rob, looking forward to trying this out! :)

• Advertisement

Calina, I was thinking the darkroom would probably be a more suitable place for this myself ... I wonder would it be possible to create some sort of sticky thread, where (maybe updated by mods only) the various tutorials/explanations for achieving some result are all archived, a one stop shop for hints & tips - maybe judge whether something deserves entry by the popularity of the original thread.

DamoKen, best of luck ... it doesn't have to be a Hoya filter mind you, B&W are also meant to be good. The only thing you need to watch for is a crappy filter reducing the end quality of a good lens. Gunns seem to be good, so I'm sure they won't steer you wrong if you ask for a mid-level filter, something a step or two above cheap and cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

redrob13 wrote:
    Calina, I was thinking the darkroom would probably be a more suitable place for this myself ... I wonder would it be possible to create some sort of sticky thread, where (maybe updated by mods only) the various tutorials/explanations for achieving some result are all archived, a one stop shop for hints & tips - maybe judge whether something deserves entry by the popularity of the original thread.

DamoKen, best of luck ... it doesn't have to be a Hoya filter mind you, B&W are also meant to be good. The only thing you need to watch for is a crappy filter reducing the end quality of a good lens. Gunns seem to be good, so I'm sure they won't steer you wrong if you ask for a mid-level filter, something a step or two above cheap and cheerful.

You're all free to write tutorials in the Digital Darkroom btw ;)

In fact...Go mad in there with them, it's exactly what it needs.

Advertisement