Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget Day: Petrol Station Queues.

Options
  • 14-10-2008 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

I couldn't believe earlier when I went to my local shop which also sells petrol. There was a queue of cars out onto the road - about 12 cars in the Q and all 6 pumps being used. Now it was announced in today's Budget that petrol & diesel is going up by 8c, but can someone explain why there was so much panic? Imagine what it would be like if there was a fuel shortage! Now this is a rough guess.... but I would imagine filling up something like an A4 would have a 55-60 litre tank which would cost an extra €5 (one pint). Also the fact this is a once off... from today onwards prices are up. Surely things arent that bad? :confused: Anybody here join a queue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Anybody here join a queue?

Indeed and I didn't, I filled up yesterday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Filled up for the sake of it today, but then I was passing the forecourt and it was quiet... I wouldn't bother with a queue 12 deep for the sake of the €2.50 that I saved though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I was passing this morning and filled her, no harm having her full :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Blunder

I didnt either. I thought it was just petrol that went up so diesel is ok!:D I think its probably the Irish mentality to be honest. If ya think your getting a good deal you'll go for it.I bought diesel in a petrol station that had the offer of 5c off per litre when you got a car wash. I thought it was great but I only realised after that it only amounted to about a euro cheaper!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

And the same people who were queing up today are likely the same people who would spend 4 euro on a coffee in Starbucks.
    Pointless realy
    Blunder wrote: »
    I I think its probably the Irish mentality to be honest. If ya think your getting a good deal you'll go for it.

That's the same in all countries realy.
    Apart from rich places like, er.......Monaco maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I Filled up tonight as usual, 'to the gills' but not because of the price increase i genuinly needed petrol.. I dont understand why people are panicing when in a days driving their savings are well spent from the journey to the station and home and then to work etc.

Not only that but it wasn't even 3 weeks ago we were paying around €1.30 P/L so it's no real biggy in fairness.

As the other poster pointed out, the saving of no more than a euro or two if filling from empty isn't really worth the panic.

for those who do feel the need to panic or are going to complain about less MPG (L/100KM), there is a thread floating around motors with tips on fuel economy which is easy to follow i'll try find the link if mods don't mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

My car is a drunk so I took the opportunity to save a few euro and queued for 1 min..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

forgot to mention that my station hadn't got a queue, well nothing where i'd be waiting on the pumps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Typical peasant rush

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

fuel won't be going up anyway so they are all wasting their time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Hope the queues have died down next time I have to refil my TDi, probably in about two weeks..

:cool:

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I filled mine up to the gills today after I heard the news. I do hate Fianna Fail with vengeance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Posted this in the budget thread, would suit here too lol.
    GetAttachment.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Tesco in dundrum was crazy tonight. Probably cost them more to sit in traffic for that long then what they saved in the petrol cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I had a tossup between saving th 50cent on wine and the 8cent on petrol tonight and unfortuantely the wine won - hic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

It's pathetic. People are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

I saved myself €6 quid last night by filling up the two cars.
    Had I not done it I wouldnt have made it to work this morning. Im happy
    and there were no queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

barryfitz wrote: »
    I saved myself €6 quid last night by filling up the two cars.

I was under the impression that this doesn't come in until december 1st like all the other taxes:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

i only had a quarter tank left so would have had to fill up in a day or so anyway. i probably didn't make a huge saving but the way i see it it's better in my pocket. didn't queue for it though, just rolled in and filled up. but the Esso on the Malahide road had a queue outside it around 10PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

No you didn't

fuel is not going to go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dools2007

Hammertime wrote: »
    No you didn't

fuel is not going to go up.

Texaco Kylemore Road yesterday: 1.13.9 / litre

Today 1.19.9 / litre

although I think that they dropped their price yesterday for one day so that the increase in turn did not seem as bad.

Dools2007 wrote: »

Today 1.19.9 / litre

so?

the guy is profiteering, just never step foot in his station again, that will sort him out.

The vast majority of places wil not move as fuel comes down 7c wholesale tonight at midnight, and any fuel they are currently selling is at the old price anyway as it was delivered before the budget

Don't support these f**kers ripping people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This is what I got from a budget summary:
    Mineral Oil Tax on Petrol and Diesel 15/10/2008 (effective date)
    The mineral oil tax on petrol will be increased by 8 cent per litre
    (including VAT). There is no change to the excise duty on diesel.

So does that not mean from today 8c is added onto all petrol prices Hammertime?

Glad to see it doesn't effect Diesel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

cormie wrote: »
    This is what I got from a budget summary:

So does that not mean from today 8c is added onto all petrol prices Hammertime?

Glad to see it doesn't effect Diesel :D

I think what hammertime is trying to say is the drop in wholesale price tonight practically wipes out that excise increase...on petrol...we should see diesel savings though I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

so it does (did) come in at midnight.

why do taxes come in straight away but benefits don't:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Excise duty is almost always applied immediately. Other increases and benefits tend to wait until a more appropriate time like the beginning of a new tax year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Dools2007 wrote: »

Today 1.19.9 / litre

although I think that they dropped their price yesterday for one day so that the increase in turn did not seem as bad.

1.19 a litre today????? My local petrol station was charging 122.9 yesterday, today its 131.9!! However, he will be hearing in no uncertain terms later on what a money grabbing greedy bastard he is.

Who do you send complaints about overpriced stations to as I'd really like to see this guy nailed to a cross??

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dools2007

Hammertime wrote: »
    so?

the guy is profiteering, just never step foot in his station again, that will sort him out.

The vast majority of places wil not move as fuel comes down 7c wholesale tonight at midnight, and any fuel they are currently selling is at the old price anyway as it was delivered before the budget

Don't support these f**kers ripping people off.

to be fair, that station is normally one of the cheaper stations around, almost always the cheapest station that I pass so can't really agree that the guy is profiteering.

agree with your point regarding the price shouldn't have gone up drastically overnight due to the budget, but at the same time, this station was selling their petrol cheaper than anywhere else I seen yesterday and are probably as cheap again today.

Was just making a point that you could have saved a small amount by filling up yesterday instead of today.

(In best Eddie Hobbs accent)
    Tighten the belts lads, there's a recession :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So with the cheapest Diesel I passed yesterday being 1.24.9, that should drop to 1.16.9 with the drop in wholesale prices? Glad I didn't fill up yesterday if it's true :D

Advertisement