Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's steepest hill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Holy cow! Number 1 looks seriously hard. What's the surface like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Zen0 wrote: »

No idea! That list was compiled by boardsie seve65.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Surface is beautiful.................cause you'll be going at << 10km/h ;)
    Seriously though, it's ok, some guy actually has a youtube video of his descent (@90km/h or something) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

"...........cause you'll be going at << 10km/h ;)"

My normal uphill speed then :)

"...........cause you'll be going at << 10km/h ;)"

My normal uphill speed then :)

No, it'd be the square root of that ;)

Here's an interesting view of it..........

F9F30F2154D142ACB1B40FB6F3C61991-0000318644-0003346589-00653L-BEA7CE42E5834A359FF590173C1D862F.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭DrChristianTroy

Surface is beautiful.................cause you'll be going at << 10km/h ;)
    Seriously though, it's ok, some guy actually has a youtube video of his descent (@90km/h or something) !!

Just watched that vid....mental stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Wow, mine is only number 29 and I couldn't get up that one. I'll put it down to age and carefully avoid numbers 1-28...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Just watched that vid....mental stuff!
    i forwarded that video to a few people i know; most of them non-cyclists. the general reaction was that the cyclist was being an asshole, in relation to the fact that he was passing ramblers at high speed and in close proximity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Rode a nice segment this morning near Aughrim Co. Wicklow.
    http://www.strava.com/segments/5134975
    9.2% avg grade over nearly 2k, on a road less travelled (off the Aughrim Aughavannagh road).

Could be added to the spreadsheet if that is the best home for boards strava segments? I don't have update access by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Rode a nice segment this morning near Aughrim Co. Wicklow.
    http://www.strava.com/segments/5134975
    9.2% avg grade over nearly 2k, on a road less travelled (off the Aughrim Aughavannagh road).

Could be added to the spreadsheet if that is the best home for boards strava segments? I don't have update access by the looks of it.

It wouldn't qualify, a climb needs to have over 200m of ascent to make the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Seskin,Carrick on Suir takes some beating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Seskin,Carrick on Suir takes some beating.

Not even a mile long, height gain of 130odd meters.
    No where near as tough as those listed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

http://www.strava.com/segments/2680537

I was out for a drive today and decided to head to Barley Lake - I had never been there. The car (small 1.2L Skoda) could not get up the first 0.3km.

Strava says that it is crica 20% plus for this section of the segment - but the road really cooks up. Car simply would not go forward even in fiirst gear - huge amount of backwheel spin.
    The same car has been up and over Priests Leap and the Glengariff forest road climb - so it shouldnt have been a problem. On that basis I think that this must be among the steepest climbs in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

ROK ON wrote: »
    http://www.strava.com/segments/2680537

I was out for a drive today and decided to head to Barley Lake - I had never been there. The car (small 1.2L Skoda) could not get up the first 0.3km.

Strava says that it is crica 20% plus for this section of the segment - but the road really cooks up. Car simply would not go forward even in fiirst gear - huge amount of backwheel spin.
    The same car has been up and over Priests Leap and the Glengariff forest road climb - so it shouldnt have been a problem. On that basis I think that this must be among the steepest climbs in Ireland.

You sure it was back wheel spin? What model of Skoda is it? I've never hear of a RWD drive model from them especially with a 1.2L engine. I like RWD and if they have one that I just don't know of I'd love to get my hands on one :).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm surprised the Gap of Mamore is only ranked 10th and with a gradient of 11.7%. When the Ras went through in 2012, An Post declared it as averaging 21%. It's bloody savage and by far the most physically difficult thing I've ever done. It hits you like a punch in the face and continually punches you on the way up. I think my Garmin registered above 30% in places. It's the only climb where my nose bled as I neared the summit.

Even a certain Mr Sherlock described it well (especially in the last two words):
    The next few minutes were mostly a blur with the odd self questioning - “why am I doing this?” - usually, this is a good sign – it means I'm pushing hard. The climb was very very steep – the hardest I've seen in Ireland by a long way and my 39x25 was two high a gearing for me to ride the hill the way I wanted. In general, especially more recently, I like to spin while climbing. About 80-90 RPM while seated and around 80 while standing. I basically had to stand almost all the climb, using all my mountain biking smooth pedalling skills to not spin out the rear wheel on the slippery tarmac while only pedaling at about 50rpm. After a lot of pain, I looked down at the Garmin to see I covered 1.55km – only 350 meters to go, but those 350 meters were like a wall. Already far into oxygen dept and a huge headwind I hit the final section which averaged out at a 19% gradient – I wish I had lower gears. I kept pushing and the crowd cheered me on as I made the final push. I crossed the line, placed my bike carefully at the side of the road (making sure not to damage the super expensive borrowed wheels) and promptly collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Great bucket list!
    Did 3 today: three rock, cruagh and kippure. For some reason I found they got harder rather than easier.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

SixPot wrote: »
    43_zpsda63249d.jpg

Don't know if Valentia's been mentioned yet but this snap from the Classic Car forum looks worthy of inclusion.:eek:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Yes it's there Hermy. No. 29 I think. It's not actually on Valentia, it is the road from Portmagee (where you cross the bridge on to Valentia) towards Skellig and St. Finian's Bay. I think what you see in the photo is taken part of the way down the descent into St. Finian's Bay which is down a series of hairpin bends. By the time you reach the point where this photo is taken you are coughing up your lungs having climbed up from Portmagee. And that's just in the car... I tried to climb up the hairpins and failed miserably. And to think there are 28 harder climbs than this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

^
    Coomanaspig

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Gradients aren't always apparent in photos but that one certainly leaves nothing to the imagination!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

the Gap of Mamore is only ranked 10th and with a gradient of 11.7%.

I assume everyone realises that those rankings are subjective and not fully complete. For example the road up to the mast at Mt Leinster can only be reached by one of 3 decent climbs so it should really be considered as a component of each of those rather than on it's own.

In terms of the toughest climbs, then zanibike has a mathematically derived difficulty rating for climbs that is not reliant on subjective weightings. In terms of the steepest climbs, then you need to be very specific about what is being asked, and a cutoff interval needs to be defined - i.e. the steepest average gradient over a 1km interval - then Mamore Gap might be higher up there, but probably won't be close to some of the climbs around Glengarriff.

Speaking of Glengariff, it reminds me of all those fcekers of gradients out around Allihies yesterday......../shivers

Here's 2 beauties/killers and they're parallel to each other, so you may as well do them both.........muhahaha!

BallyduffGlen
    1.4km @ 11%, from looking at guys attempts, all of them report this bit @ over 20% and one reports 27.2% !

DFA28E38373242BBB500C17F6AA9DC6C-0000318644-0003367985-00787L-377A75273C994296A44C5BDD75EC1A75.jpg

Gortnapeaky(Steeeeep)
    1.7km @ 11.4% - if you take the BM (benchmarks) from the old maps on OSI.ie
    The big issue with this climb is the start, the first 300m @ 18% are a killer but.......you still have 1.4km left to do !

7933E42905194B158E8E78372D02B9F4-0000318644-0003367984-00787L-CA592D2D0B1D4D50965B45A1DD480067.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

AlanD wrote: »
    Kilbane climb (Co. Clare) from the West is a pretty serious climb that shoots to over 20% in places.

http://app.strava.com/activities/67344703#1294463122

Added that one. :-)

All just a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

There's a little boreen named Bóthar na gCloch that cuts across the Dingle Peninsula and one particular stretch must surely be in the top-5. It averages 20% but touches 30% here 'n' there. Oh and none of that nice smooth tarmac like you have on Patrick's Hill or Temple Hill either. This is a proper Kerry mountain road.

Starts here: http://goo.gl/maps/DuIBH

Strava segment here: http://www.strava.com/segments/639593

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Would submit Black Mountain in the Cooley Mountains for the list. Not especially steep, though the first 800m average at 12.8% and it ramps up again at the top towards the RTE mast. I've only ever done it on overcast days, but I'm sure the view over Carlingford is stunning if the weather is right.

4.8km at an average 7.7% to climb 374m.

http://app.strava.com/segments/1000934

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

Not much mention of priests leap? Surely up there as toughest climb...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Any mention of the goats path from the kilcrohane side thats pretty damb steep

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

This would be it ;)

E6333019FA174387A445A3A39D8C1041-800.jpg

Ireland's longest steepest climb is this tho..........2.6km @ 13.4% great-granny ring needed :pac:

If that pic is the road up to barley lake that road is a b***h to drive up never mind cycle:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

geros29 wrote: »
    Not much mention of priests leap? Surely up there as toughest climb...
    It's in the spreadsheet at no. 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

We could bring this up a notch and ask what ring these climbs were done in :D:D (Or maybe not:P)

Advertisement