Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you gonna march on wednesday 22nd October?

Options
  • 13-10-2008 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

yes/no
    SU Email wrote:
    A week from wednesday, there is a march organised for all Dublin colleges to protest against the proposed
    reintroduction of third-level fees. In the past two months the government have mentioned fees, a loans system
    and seriously incresing the registration fee-all of which are fees under different names. This is unacceptable
    and will undermine peoples right to education as well as cutting off access to higher education to those that
    can't afford the ridiculous proposed 'fees'.
    We will meet in front square at 1.40pm on wednesday 22nd October, join with the other colleges outside front
    gate and march to the Dáil. PLEASE come along and show your support. In 2002 we defeated fees and we CAN
    do it again if we have the numbers. Above all else, it'll be great fun to have thousands of students out marching!

Are you going to protest the fees? 58 votes

No
    0% 0 votes
    Undecided
    77% 45 votes
    Yes
    22% 13 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

When/what/where/which/who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Edited first post now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

depends how the budget turns out, if fees are reintroduced i will march, if they arent i frankly couldnt give a fook

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Fad wrote: »
    depends how the budget turns out, if fees are reintroduced i will march, if they arent i frankly couldnt give a fook
    It's probably not going to be decided in this budget, so if they're not brought in immediately it's possible they'll still be on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

It's probably not going to be decided in this budget, so if they're not brought in immediately it's possible they'll still be on the cards.

Yeah, i probably should be more clear about my views on it, i clearly dont think fees are in anyway a valid solution to the financial crisis, and i am wholeheartedly against the reintroduction, also i misread the post, i thought the march would be the day after tomorrow not Wednesday week, anyway, depends really, if im free, the homework situation, i have more imeediate concerns as selfish as it may sound (and it is sort of a concern cos my sister still has to get in after me)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

f*ck no.

probably because I agree with the reintroduction of fees anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

No

One thing I wouldn't understand if fees were introduced,they'll apparently base it on the amount of income the student's family/parents earn.

But how can they do they when the majority of incoming students will be 18 or over, the government can't expect all those parents to pay for their children's education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

Is it true that all Class Reps must attend??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Peslo wrote: »
    Is it true that all Class Reps must attend??

Not sure :p

Mark200 wrote: »
    Not sure :p
    Can somebody clarify this? ?sounds like a loada BA but I heard if the majority of the class wants to, then ya have to go as CR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Apparently the budget is going to increase the registration fee to at least €1500 per year, rather than directly bringing back fees.

If this happens then the march would have an added impetus for going ahead; it would mean that all students not receiving a grant will have to pay €6000 over the course of their undergrad education, which is very different from the spectre of fees reintroduction where it was only going to be students of families earning over €100k/€150k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Stargal wrote: »
    Apparently the budget is going to increase the registration fee to at least €1500 per year, rather than directly bringing back fees.

If this happens then the march would have an added impetus for going ahead; it would mean that all students not receiving a grant will have to pay €6000 over the course of their undergrad education, which is very different from the spectre of fees reintroduction where it was only going to be students of families earning over €100k/€150k.
    We'll see in twenty minutes.

We'll see in twenty minutes.
    Yep, should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Stargal wrote: »
    It has been raised to €1500.

The actual wording says:

"Third level funding allocations allow for increases in the student services charge in 2009/10 to up to €1,500 in individual institutions".

I'd imagine that all the third level institutions will take full advantage of that and increase it to €1500.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Aw that sucks. I won't be going down on Wednesday, I have a stupid lecture that I have to go to. Missed it last week so I sort of have to stick my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

At least simultaneously to the reg fee cap being moved up, there is a raise in capital spending in third level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭EGaffney

Good. At least universities will not see swinging cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

Can somebody clarify this? ?sounds like a loada BA but I heard if the majority of the class wants to, then ya have to go as CR.

Class reps don't have to attend strictly speaking. Surely if people in your class are opposed to fees they can march themselves?? You're not their mammy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It'd presumably be out of solidarity with the SU to march, etc., if you're a class rep., not necessarily to represent your class.

• Advertisement

It'd presumably be out of solidarity with the SU to march, etc., if you're a class rep., not necessarily to represent your class.

While class reps will be heavily encouraged to go out and march, and to get their class to come out, in reality some class reps would be in favour of fees coming back in so there isn't an automatic solidarity there with reps.

Unless they are mandated to, class reps don't have to do anything.

Even then... remember when Hugh managed to get all members of council mandated to give blood?

Slightly O/T, but when you're a class rep, you're part of the SU right?

Slightly O/T, but when you're a class rep, you're part of the SU right?

All student's are members of the SU. But when you're a reps are typically more involved than most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

No. Bring fees back I say

No I mean like the part of the council (I think). Like have to attend the meetings and stuff

No I mean like the part of the council (I think). Like have to attend the meetings and stuff
    Yep.

Yep.
    OK Thanks.

OK Thanks.

I can sense the enthusiasm :rolleyes:
    Seriously though, council can be quite fun... though maybe that's only true for hacks like me :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

starn wrote: »
    No. Bring fees back I say

I agree. Bring them back. but with them bring in a gradiated grants system. Bring in scholarships and bring in tax breaks for those paying fees.

As for voting lots of people forget this simple point. The SU is your representative. If you agree with the re-introduction of fees get involved and then get the SU and USI to the table with college and the government as a properly representative body.

I agree with fees in principle. I however will march because i think the SU should at all stages fight tooth and nail to stop the current thinking of fees.

This is not hypocrisy. The media and the government can ignore SUs the country over and USI if 200 people show up. If 5000 show up and make a bloody loud noise then we can become a properly structured and properly representative body of students and citizens who demand to be heard.

Advertisement