Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Ha yeah see if I pass my postgrad, I also will have that next year so I don't want to go to two :(
    I just think tomorrow is going to be a hassle with travelling from Mayo, showing my family where to go, robes, extra ticket finding and then the practice or whatever..eh!

I am looking forward to the dinner after though :D Booked us in for a chinese! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

Aragneer wrote: »
    Ha yeah see if I pass my postgrad, I also will have that next year so I don't want to go to two :(
    I just think tomorrow is going to be a hassle with travelling from Mayo, showing my family where to go, robes, extra ticket finding and then the practice or whatever..eh!

I am looking forward to the dinner after though :D Booked us in for a chinese! :D

It's good to go to one, but two is excessive. I'm only going because of that deal, and my classmates are sound so will be nice to see them again.

We're going for Indian so also excited about the food :P

I completely agree! Especially with the price of robes and what not!

Question actually: Is that cap really uncomfortable and hard to stay on? :/ I'm worried about that (as well as walking in heels haha).

Ooo Indian! Sounds good :D Hope you enjoy it ^^

Aragneer wrote: »
    I completely agree! Especially with the price of robes and what not!

Question actually: Is that cap really uncomfortable and hard to stay on? :/ I'm worried about that (as well as walking in heels haha).

Ooo Indian! Sounds good :D Hope you enjoy it ^^

You actually forget about the cap. You just need a few hair pins at the side and back to stick it in place, and then you're grand. It stays on and you're not worrying about it.

Heels are also grand unless you're like some of the ladies last year who were wearing 6 inch heels :eek:

One of the most irritating things is actually the robes themselves. The V bit that's yellow or orange or whatever. The back of it is heavy enough so if you're not careful, it doesn't sit properly. I was conscious of it so all my photos last year were fine since I kept pulling it down, but some people had photos where the V was right up at their neck :D:pac: You'll see what I mean. Thankfully I just get a little sash to go over my shoulder this year instead of that other yoke most people wear!

You actually forget about the cap. You just need a few hair pins at the side and back to stick it in place, and then you're grand. It stays on and you're not worrying about it.

Heels are also grand unless you're like some of the ladies last year who were wearing 6 inch heels :eek:

One of the most irritating things is actually the robes themselves. The V bit that's yellow or orange or whatever. The back of it is heavy enough so if you're not careful, it doesn't sit properly. I was conscious of it so all my photos last year were fine since I kept pulling it down, but some people had photos where the V was right up at their neck :D:pac: You'll see what I mean. Thankfully I just get a little sash to go over my shoulder this year instead of that other yoke most people wear!

Thank goodness, I bought like a 24 pack of hair pins and stuff so as long as that is secure I'll be fine. I remember a few girls last year we're constantly touching it, moving it and holding it (I went to my friend's grad).

Oh no! No way haha, mine have a small heel, going to get insoles so I am wedged into them :P

That's actually really good to know! I actually remember my friend's didn't look right and was up to his neck too so that must have been why! I will make sure to pull it down at all opportunities! Thanks for that tip, that's actually super helpful and I am going to pass it on to my friends! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Don't even think we're going for dinner. Groody it is so!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Is it this week the Graduations are or next week?

I doubt I'll go to mine next year. Very few of "my" class left now. :P

This week. I think mine is on Wednesday.

This week, mine is on Wednesday afternoon!

sup_dude wrote: »
    The week, mine is on Wednesday afternoon!

Ha, I'll see you there so :D

• Advertisement

Ha, I'll see you there so :D

I'll be the one asleep during the cermony and the one who falls on their face when picking up the scrolls...

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

sup_dude wrote: »
    Don't even think we're going for dinner. Groody it is so!

"Hello, Four Seasons"

:D

So I have it on pretty good word that UL are taking over Troy student village in the near future. Surely they won't be using it as an 'on-campus' accommodation?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

iLaura wrote: »
    So I have it on pretty good word that UL are taking over Troy student village in the near future. Surely they won't be using it as an 'on-campus' accommodation?

They'll just operate it under the CLS umbrella I'd imagine. Now Troy residents can look forward to the gouging too! :P

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    They'll just operate it under the CLS umbrella I'd imagine. Now Troy residents can look forward to the gouging too! :P

I'd say they wouldn't have to pay half as much as the other campuses though. And if so it's daylight robbery!

I've thankfully never had to deal with campus life!

iLaura wrote: »
    I'd say they wouldn't have to pay half as much as the other campuses though. And if so it's daylight robbery!

I've thankfully never had to deal with campus life!

Well you'd certainly hope that it'd cheaper than Plassey. Otherwise, yeah it is robbery... But then, CLS get away with charging €20+ for a kettle, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CheyK

Well you'd certainly hope that it'd cheaper than Plassey. Otherwise, yeah it is robbery... But then, CLS get away with charging €20+ for a kettle, so...

I'm actually staying in Troy this year! It's already been taken over by UL and the fees are actually really reasonable. It's €3640 for a double en-suit for the year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nicodemus93

How long do graduation ceremonies last? its going to be tortourous to sit through

How long do graduation ceremonies last? its going to be tortourous to sit through

About an hour or so, as far as I can tell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Decent accommodation seems to be impossible to come by this year. :(

• Advertisement

I think it's about an hour or so. Just hope that you're one of the later courses to go through it! I know it sounds like you'd want the opposite, but it gets harder to sit through after you get your parchment since you care even less :pac:

Also, if there are quite a few people getting their doctorates that'll take a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mrsound

in a bit of a sticky situation. I'm certain I've failed my repeat will that mean my co op is terminated? I'm on co op till Dec. I'm willing to do a link in starting in feb so there won't be any overlap? Anyone have any experience? Thanks guys.

mrsound wrote: »
    in a bit of a sticky situation. I'm certain I've failed my repeat will that mean my co op is terminated? I'm on co op till Dec. I'm willing to do a link in starting in feb so there won't be any overlap? Anyone have any experience? Thanks guys.

Friend of mine failed a module Christmas of second year and then was on co-op from summer of second year till Christmas of 3rd year. She got an I-Grade for the repeat during the summer and was still allowed to continue with her co op. I'd say talk to your course leader about it, could be different in each case

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Friend of mine failed a repeat while on coop and I think his was terminated?.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mrsound

hey so she got an igrade for a repeat? under what grounds?

mrsound wrote: »
    hey so she got an igrade for a repeat? under what grounds?

She was very ill at the time, as far as I can remember. She then had to repeat the exam at Christmas time, and won't officially start 3rd year until September,

Does anyone know what the story is with registering and paying fees when going into 2nd year? Do we need to register again or what? :)

CheyK wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is with registering and paying fees when going into 2nd year? Do we need to register again or what? :)

You need to register your modules in Week 1 (through student portal).

You can pay the registration fee through the portal too I believe. I think you can also just take a cheque to the Fees Office (not 100% on this, grant covered my registration fees each year).

You need to register your modules in Week 1 (through student portal).

You can pay the registration fee through the portal too I believe. I think you can also just take a cheque to the Fees Office (not 100% on this, grant covered my registration fees each year).

That's grand! If you've applied for the grant do you need to let them know that you're waiting for approval or will it all be sorted by SUSI do you know?

• Advertisement

CheyK wrote: »
    That's grand! If you've applied for the grant do you need to let them know that you're waiting for approval or will it all be sorted by SUSI do you know?

Nah, SUSI inform the college. At least they did laat year

Advertisement