Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EAT MY DUST!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

Last night - had a really nice run - about 16 km and took about 1 hour 20. Found a nice route with a couple of hills thrown in which will do nicely for a mid-week long run in the future.

This morning - went to the pool and the effects of yesterday had kicked in - i had DOMS from the weights and overall fatigue from the run....had about 6 hours sleep so could maybe have done with a bit more. Only managed 1 km in the pool but tried to keep the form pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

DAVE_K wrote: »

This morning - went to the pool and the effects of yesterday had kicked in - i had DOMS from the weights and overall fatigue from the run....had about 6 hours sleep so could maybe have done with a bit more.

Not surprising since you did a heavy weights session and a 10 mile run on the one day. Have you done many 'doubles' (2 session days) before? I'd suggest swim+mid week lsr or swim+weights rather than weights+lsr.

Has your training routine shifted about much since the move to Dublin?

yeah i do a few doubles - at least 1 and sometimes up to 3 a week. I don't really feel right after a day with doing no training of some sort or another. I did the extra yesterday because I did nothing on Sunday & Monday and kept it short enough on Tuesday.
    I find a swim morning/run evening to be about the best combination for the body. My schedule isn't too bad at the moment......suffers a bit due to extra commuting - in that there's less time but when I keep things on track it just means that the extra commuting equals less life time rather than training time - something I can get away with mid-week but come the weekend not a chance - weekend cycles will have to start soon so I can see myself having to take the time from sleep time rather than family time or I'll get shot. Roll on the late evenings for extra cycling potential midweek :)

This morning

Gym threadmill

9 k - 39 min 10 sec

This morning

Gym threadmill

9 k - 39 min 10 sec

That pace will get you well under 45' for 10k ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Well done DAVE K on today's run - good time. Before you know it sub 40 will be your target.

there's a 10 k in Castlebar next Saturday so we'll see about that!!!

Saturday

Weights Session

Pull Ups 5 * 8
    Squats 2 * 10 Deep Squats 60 kg, 5 * 5 Squat 105 kg
    Bench Press 5 * 5 85 kg
    Deadlift 5 * 5 130 kg

Sunday

Run - threadmill
    8 k in 35 mins
    2 * 1 k sprints at 3:45 per k
    This worked up a nice sweat

Last night
    Run 1 hour 10 mins. This was a really enjoyable run, the most enjoyable in a long time. I kept a good pace and started giving it socks around the 25 minute mark as this where I normally start to come apart in a 10 k. Around the half way mark on this run as well there's a hill that I go up on one side come down the other, go around a roundabout and then back up the hill and down again the other side on my way home - an excellent location for a mid-run hill sprint!! I said to myself going up the hill the first time - i'll take it easy when I get to the other side, then on the other side going 4uck that I'll take it easy when I go over it on the way back and then again on the other side going 4uck that keep going you lazy 4uck.

This morning
    Swim
    600 m warm up
    5 * 200 m on 4:00
    400 m warm down

This morning

Swim

1 K in 16:58

10 * 100 m (8 @ 1:50, 2 @ 1:55.....couldn't make the last two in time)

500 m warm down

Good swim - thoroughly enjoyed it - would have gone on for longer but I ran out of time

• Advertisement

This morning

Swim

1 K in 16:58

10 * 100 m (8 @ 1:50, 2 @ 1:55.....couldn't make the last two in time)

500 m warm down

Good swim - thoroughly enjoyed it - would have gone on for longer but I ran out of time

Good swimming DAVE_K, I can only dream :cool: I'd say you will be right in the bunch chasing the fast guys after T1 :D btw NS events are up on the TI website, have you picked a couple of races yet?

Haven't gone near choosing any Tri's at all yet. I'm still smashed at the moment anxiously awaiting first paycheck in a looooooonnng time (it'll all be over in two weeks though :)). I'm only hoping the ones I want to do aren't booked out.

Last night

Same run I did on Monday night - took me 1 hour 10 on Monday. Took me 1 hour 5 last night so either I was running better last night or not fast enough Monday - the former I suspect.

This morning

Swim 1 k in 16:50. Left it at that. I'm taking it easy now til after the 10 k on Saturday.

Swim am this morning.

1 K
    10 * 100 on 1:55

Haven't trained in almost a week. Had a long run last Wednesday and my knee ached the next day. It had happened a few times in the last month but always leave it a day and it's grand again. Problem was this time it ached Thursday, Friday, Saturday.........it's still aching so running would appear to be off the cards for the now. A few depressing non-training days have been had.
    The only things I can think off for now that are contributing towards it are
    a) All road runs on pavements at the moment
    b) Doing a lot of walking at the moment.....this seems to be antagonising it
    c) Doing some heavy squats and deadlifts.

I reckon it's a toss-up between a) and b) but I'm cutting out a) and c) altogether - cutting out b) is not a go-er. I'll see how it goes.

I'm just going to have to do a lot more swimming for now.

Swim this morning

1 k and 10 * 100 on 1.55

Knee feels a bit better. Still going to leave it til next week and see how it is before running again.

Swim this morning

1.5 k and then 10 * 100 on 2:00

Total 2.5 K

Went for a test run on the knee today................not tooooo bad but still not right - just did 5 k at a nice easy pace. I'll see how it is again tomorrow and hopefully run again tomorrow night.

Really getting stuck into the swimming there DAVE_K, good stuff. Glad to see the knee is on the mend :)

Swim yesterday

1 k - 16:30
    10 * 100 on 1:50
    300 m warm down - banjoed

Swim this morning

500 m warm up
    50 m, 100 m, 150 m, 200 m, 250 m, 200 m, 150 m, 100 m, 50m
    all with about 15 seconds rest - hard to schedule it exactly as there was 4 people in the lane and 2 were a fair bit slower
    10 * 50 m on 55 secs

Really enjoying the swimming at the moment and can feel the technique tightening - started back tumble-turning as well as i can't see any reason to be taking the easy option

On the running front things don't look good. A slow 5 run on Tuesday had the knee feeling sore till last night :(
    It seems OK today again though. Holding back and not going out on it is the hard part.

Swim yesterday

1 k - 16:30
    10 * 100 on 1:50
    300 m warm down - banjoed

Swim this morning

500 m warm up
    50 m, 100 m, 150 m, 200 m, 250 m, 200 m, 150 m, 100 m, 50m
    all with about 15 seconds rest - hard to schedule it exactly as there was 4 people in the lane and 2 were a fair bit slower
    10 * 50 m on 55 secs

Really enjoying the swimming at the moment and can feel the technique tightening - started back tumble-turning as well as i can't see any reason to be taking the easy option

Oh to have that ability.... :cool: and tumble turns in for the craic :cool:

cheers MCOS...............was talking to my old swimming coach last night for about half an hour. She went on to coach the national squad. It was very motivational. She was telling me basically how to structure my sessions, how to work your intervals out, when to bring the times down, drink loads of water whilst swimming (probably obvious but i never do), what to eat, weights to do......and at the end of it all a phone number for her to call for anything other advice i need......what a resource!...........woooohoooo :)

• Advertisement

Good for you :) Keenly focused on your log now!

Saturday 14th
    Home cardio/circuit session

10 mins stationary bike
    20 press-ups, 15 squats, 10 ab roll outs, 5 barbell clean and press
    8 mins stationary bike
    6 mins stationary bike
    4 mins stationary bike
    2 mins stationary bike

Sunday 15th
    HIIT session at home on stationary bike
    4 mins warm-up
    (30 secs full bore, 1 min slower) * 7
    (30 secs full bore, 30 secs slower) * 3
    2 mins warm-down
    Total Time 20 mins

Monday 16th
    5 k run - nice and easy - knee was aching after the last 5 k run last Tuesday. A little sore today but nothing like it was after last weeks attempt.
    Hopefully it'll pull together so I can get some miles in for the Connermara half otherwise I'm going to have to sit it out

This morning
    AM - Swim
    500 m warm up (8:00 mins)
    6 * 200 m on 3.55

This session was no great shakes on distance. My body felt tired getting into the water and i never shook this properly. Went to bed hungry last night which might have been it.....or might need to catch up on some sleep.

Some good session there DAVE_K (500m swim warm up in 8 mins :eek:). I'd say the sweat was pouring after the HIIT session. Pick out some events yet?

Yep sure have

Draft 1
    3 May Joey Hannon
    30 May TriAthy Olympic
    (20 June Mullaghmore Sprint)
    27 June Hell Of The West
    (18 July Athlone sprint/olympic ?)
    26 July Beast Of The East

It could work out (almost!) with a sprint and an olympic a month which I think would be a good balance.

I'm not sure past end of July.

Mullaghmore and Athlone are in brackets because I'm not too sure if they're too close to the H.O.T.W. or B.O.T.E.

I'd love to work up to doing the EIREMAN middle distance in August.

What are you doing?

Looks like I'll be eating your dust at a few events!

Definites
    North Tipp Sprint
    Joey Hannon Olympic
    Valentia Island Sprint
    TriAthy Olympic
    Kilkee Hell of the West
    Triathlone Sprint

Maybe Beast of the East too as a tough training session for the end of July. After that its building the training for the Lost Sheep half IM which is my big goal for this year.

Good stuff - it'll be good to put a face to a name..........mind judging by the amount of training you've been doing i'd say you'll be handing me a bottle of water as I cross the line :)

Anyways.......................

AM SWIM

Plan this morning - 1500 m straight swim, 10 * 50 sprints

Got through the 1500 m no bother, gave the first 50 welly and then my goggles broke and broke proper not the strap but the actual plastic of the goggles so that was it for the day as far as swimming went.

PM RUN

Not sure how far I went but i ran for 43 mins and gave it a good pace the whole way. I got a HRM a few weeks ago and wore it for the first time today...............it's bleedin great!!! BUT it does tell me I haven't been training near hard enough. I ran what was a good pace compared to a normal run and my heart didn't go above 150 and that was just for the sprint at the end - the rest of the time it didn't go above 140. I've a resting rate of 40 BPM which I'm happy with......i haven't had it done since 5 years ago and it was 40 then..........well at least I think it's something to be happy about..............unless there's something wrong with me :(

Enjoyed this run though and the knee seems to have held together although tomorrow will tell. Got back to the train station today to find my van had been broken into................Sat Nav gone...........but all training gear still intact so 4UCK THE SAT NAV!!!!! I'm just glad my bike wasn't in the back or I'd be sobbing into a pint somewhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Got back to the train station today to find my van had been broken into................Sat Nav gone...........but all training gear still intact so 4UCK THE SAT NAV!!!!! I'm just glad my bike wasn't in the back or I'd be sobbing into a pint somewhere now.

Nasty. Sorry to hear that. As you pointed out, at least it was only the sat nav. Could have been worse I suppose. Not saying that makes it any better.

At least the running is going well and your knee is on the mend. :cool:

Bummer! Yeah at least it wasn't the bike... phew. As for handing you a water bottle, I'll have some gap to make up after the swim so I highly doubt it. Indeed if you hit your 2'15' goal you will be able to get showered, changed, have a cup of tea and a burger and then hand me one as I finish :p

Feck it lads if I was to pick something to get nicked I've had handed it over!!

Had a good enough threadmill session yesterday (Friday) - more or a test the knee out sort of thing - did 9 k in 42 mins and had no major pain in the knee afterwards - was a bit tender throughout but that was it.

Didn't do much this morning - i've been training for about 9/10 days straight I'd estimate with no day off so wasn't pushed about doing a big session. Did some weights circuits instead

20 press ups
    20 squats
    20 bent-over rows
    20 ab roll outs
    5 clean and press
    Plank - for max time

(did this circuit 3 times - took 21 minutes)

Then did shoulder press and bicep curls

Going to try and get out for a good run tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Run this morning - ran around some country roads near where my parents live, no traffic, and some hills. Did this run back at Xmas and did it in 47:50. Did it today in 46:10.....the difference I'd have to put down to running with a HRM.......I know now what rate I can keep my heart at and how long I can keep it there so use the HRM to ensure it doesn't go under this. The other thing that's changed this week is running with music. I'd always have the iShuffle on when i'm running. I was out of batteries during the week and went out without it - I found it better running without it to be honest. It's a distraction and instead of concentrating on the running you're getting into this music. I'll be going without it for the here and now.

Advertisement