Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

sudo911 wrote: »
    Guys,

out of interest, what was traffic like lately going through Newry?

Hit it at about 10am gonig up and dont think we stopped atall,no traffic.
    Comeing back hit at about 4 o clock and was crawling once for about 10 mins..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

sue97 wrote: »
    Is there any point opening IKEA in the South if they are going to do the usual exchange rate issue we have with everything else. I need wardrobes and I ain't going to pay 30% extra to buy from IKEA in Dublin.

Anyone know what their pricing policy is going to be. Should be interesting to find out

Take a look at the same item in Ikea in UK and Germany

http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/80121338

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80121338

€250 in Germany, £175 in UK.

And I can't believe that the German Ikea will be the same price or dearer than Ireland.

So it would look like if anyone is going to do a big spend in Ikea, it is worth the while to travel North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 docker

Hey, has anyone bought any business suits up North, would love to hear if any bargins...tks, docker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Given all the hype about the queues around Sainsburys in the Quays, how does Tesco in Banbridge compare?
    Looking to do a quick trip up to the Outlet in Banbridge, and need to do a supermarket shop also. Have been to Sainsburys a good few times, before everyone else started going, but never been to the Tesco's in Banbridge.
    Any thoughts? Going tomorrow.Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

docker wrote: »
    Hey, has anyone bought any business suits up North, would love to hear if any bargins...tks, docker.

Got a nice navy Ben Sherman one in TK Maxx in Newry for £100. Their shirts didn't seem great but there are loads of good suits in my size (46)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

So it would look like if anyone is going to do a big spend in Ikea, it is worth the while to travel North

I'd wait until it opens down here and then see what the exchange rate is like.
    By the time they open, the exchange rate could be back down to 0.8000, however unlikely that is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Can anyone tell me where theres a PC world, currys or any other big electonic stores over the border, I'm looking to but a 1TB external hard drive and I'm heading over the border tomorrow, any advice I'd be truly grateful, I'm willing to go as far as belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

epopnomis wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where theres a PC world, currys or any other big electonic stores over the border, I'm looking to but a 1TB external hard drive and I'm heading over the border tomorrow, any advice I'd be truly grateful, I'm willing to go as far as belfast.

Sprucefield. But better deals here www.dabs.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Had a look on that dabs.ie website but it still seems pricey in comparison to uk stores like comet.... Pity they're not up north, any other good electronics shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

dsane1 wrote: »
    Hi asda is right beside erneside shopping centre, Marks and sparks there superdrug ,argos and a few others.Leave the car at asda.When you walk through the erneside there is a bridge over the river to the town,its only a few mins away ,dont drive very little parking there .Walk up any of the side streets and it brings you onto the main street .Hope this helps .

thanks for that dsane . just wondering if there are any good electrical shops in enniskillen like currys, comet etc. i've had a look at argos and even though alot of stuff is half price compared to down here they always seem to be dearer than most electrical shops. also is the asda a decent sized store?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is a Jaeger shop with really good deals in The Outlet,there are 2 other shops with lovely suits too but I forget the name of them.

The Outlets website will have them listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Its times like these Im glad Dev sent Collins over to chat with Churchill and Lloyd George all those years ago! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

epopnomis wrote: »

There's a currys in the retail park on the belfast side of newry, can't remember the name of it, but if you keep on the belfast road you'll see it, it's a right turn off the last newry roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

thanks for that dsane . just wondering if there are any good electrical shops in enniskillen like currys, comet etc. i've had a look at argos and even though alot of stuff is half price compared to down here they always seem to be dearer than most electrical shops. also is the asda a decent sized store?

just a currys, nears dunnes, less than 5 minutes walk from asdas/tescos, plus one or two independent electronic stores

quite a big asdas, uk/ni retail space laws alow for indivudal stores to have a bigger retail space compared to irish laws, as for their electical items, a couple of isles of elctronic stuff, but items would be at the bugent end for prices/brands

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Given all the hype about the queues around Sainsburys in the Quays, how does Tesco in Banbridge compare?
    Looking to do a quick trip up to the Outlet in Banbridge, and need to do a supermarket shop also. Have been to Sainsburys a good few times, before everyone else started going, but never been to the Tesco's in Banbridge.
    Any thoughts? Going tomorrow.Thanks in advance!

Tescos in Banbridge ok but I'd recommend sainsburys in sprucefield just another 20mins or so up Belfast Road. Also has a huge M&S nearby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Where is the M&S near Sprucefield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

irish-stew wrote: »
    just a currys, nears dunnes, less than 5 minutes walk from asdas/tescos, plus one or two independent electronic stores

quite a big asdas, uk/ni retail space laws alow for indivudal stores to have a bigger retail space compared to irish laws, as for their electical items, a couple of isles of elctronic stuff, but items would be at the bugent end for prices/brands

Didn't know there was a currys in Enniskillen.

In Asda, I got their own brand sandwich toaster for £5 a few weeks ago.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Where is the M&S near Sprucefield?

There are two retail parks side by side, the one I usually go to has Sainsburys, Argus, Toys r us, can't remember what else. The other one has M&S and Next. The address is 157 Hillsborough Road, Sprucefield, Lisburn, BT27 5UJ
    Tel: 028 9266 1000 / Fax: 02892661319

There's a map on the M& S website, search lisburn under store locator. http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/store-locator/store-locator.html/278-7899358-7750746?ie=UTF8&viewID=details&postcode=BT27%205UJ&storeID=0152&prevView=listing&client=mands_01&f_id=11&lon=-6.060160&lat=54.491560&db=GB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Let's say I (didn't) want to purchase some fireworks north of the border in the region of Newry, where would I be headed?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

cianclarke wrote: »
    Let's say I (didn't) want to purchase some fireworks north of the border in the region of Newry, where would I be headed?? :D

Look out for the signs mate - they are still on the roads!

Best sign over Halloween had to be for 'Bad Boy Fireworks' - cracked me up every time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

I was surprised when in Sainsburys Newry recently at their exchange rate - had dropped it to .89 or so which is a touch less than in Sprucefield at .97! Had to use sterling in the store!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

big ad in the paper today for suits for £19 in asda! dunno what quality would be like at that price but that is some price!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,922 ✭✭✭✭muffler

milly4ever wrote: »
    big ad in the paper today for suits for £19 in asda! dunno what quality would be like at that price but that is some price!
    Was looking at those today in Asda, Strabane and they are not too bad. Very much like what you would pick up in Pennys but obviously a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

Got a nice navy Ben Sherman one in TK Maxx in Newry for £100. Their shirts didn't seem great but there are loads of good suits in my size (46)

buy a jacket in asda for £19 and get the trousers free :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I'm thinking about going up north to the sales tomorrow. Where is the best place to head to? Newry? Belfast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There are two retail parks side by side, the one I usually go to has Sainsburys, Argus, Toys r us, can't remember what else. The other one has M&S and Next.
    Tel: 028 9266 1000 / Fax: 02892661319

Just before Lisburn the retail park on the left has Sainsburys etc (there's a Currys there as well iirc). And directly opposite the road is the park with M&S - you'll see McDonalds from the A1 as you're approaching the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

EUR/GBP .9740 TODAY! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

I am not Irish.... Do I need a visa to to go the north? I am on stamp 4 here in Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

Yes, legally you do.

Unfortunately the Irish residency doesn't allow you to travel to the NI. It is the same way the other way around. NI residency doesn't permit Visa free travelling to the republic. Bit of a pain in the back, and against EU rules, but there is nothing that could be done for now.

Said that, I commute from NI to the republic by car 3 times a week and have never been checked or seen a control on either side of the border. But I know that then Garda is doing regular checks of border crossing Busses and Trains on the Irish side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Parity soon folks, infact you might be getting more for ur EURO!:eek:

Advertisement