Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe are your "Home made" goggles?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

again with the "shotgun blast protection". have you tested this claim?

are you telling me that cutting a piece of mesh to fit a frame is goin to effect the structural integrity anymore than what is doen in the factory.

The ballistic properties of the likes of ESS goggles are well documented and tested in combat. Structural integrity is very dependant on how the material is shaped and generally treated. Look at cardboard, its just paper but the way its cut and shaped gives it strength. Its not hard to make a strong box weak when reusing it, same principles apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Materials physics isn't what most people think it is. For something to be hard, it also has to be brittle. For something to be strong against penetrative forces, it has to be malleable.

Polycarb products like Lexan and Marpiglas are capable of withstanding high velocity 7.62mm rounds, yet are considered to quite a soft material (relatively speaking) when subjected to a hardness test. Glass is considerably harder than polycarb, but this structural rigidity means it has less impact resistance. This is where polycarb laminates come into play.
    In effect, everything works in reverse to how you might imagine. If you want a good lens that will take a high impact and come out shining, you want a very soft lens with a good focal index (for clarity). The problem in making good ones isn't making something that can withstand a bb, but making something that can withstand a bb and can be clearly seen through.

Wiley X, Bollé and ESS all have military contracts world wide, with lens grades capable of taking direct shrapnel attacks without fracturing. These come with premium prices, but like so much in the world of protective equipment, are worth spending the top dollar on. Particularly if you have any concerns over your existing eyewear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

It also worth pointing out that ballistic eye wear is usually only rated for one impact, it needs to be inspected before it can be given the go ahead to be shot again, this applies to all sorts of eye wear and protective gear.,
    shooting anything with full auto from point blank range is eventually gonna go through anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

NakedDex wrote: »
    Polycarb products like Lexan and Marpiglas are capable of withstanding high velocity 7.62mm rounds

I know plastics, I don't know marpiglas. What the heck is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

Lemming wrote: »
    What? His argument about the repeated stressing of material is weaker than say .... your own argument (below)?

did he make a paper aeroplane out of the mesh before he put them into his goggles?
    no he trimmed them to fit, with what i assume to have been minimal bending.

now if you want to try tell me that this will affect the mesh in another place, allowing the bb to inadvertently penetrate, i suggest you might enrole in a night course in common sense.

i would have though that you might have better spent your time replying to my previous post direced at your good self, rather than ignoring it and trying back up another parties flawed "argument".

the fact of the matter is that if i go buy one of the cheaper masks from eirsoft or any of the other retailers and shoot it a couple of times it is goin to penetrate eventually as the mesh that is in them is quite frankly sh1t.
    that has absolutely nothing to do with whether someone mods it or not, simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Can we all untwist our knickers please?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

edit: just saw o1s1n's post.

Do what you like folks. It's your eyesight, your responsibility. I just cannot give a flying f*ck any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

I have a rather good idea of just how much flexing was required to get those lenses into place in the modified glasses.

Actually none at all. The mesh just slots in, the frame is very flexible but still holds the mesh pretty securely when assembled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭elsi

NakedDex wrote: »
    Mine can take a 00 shotgun blast from 20ft. I reckon I'm safe.
    Ha whats that goggles made from quarter inch steel?
    Us folk in the sticks puts 00s through kevlar at 20 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

edit: just saw o1s1n's post.

Do what you like folks. It's your eyesight, your responsibility. I just cannot give a flying f*ck any more.

Yeah, I'd just like to point out that giving a damn, or F### as it may be, might be worthwhile as if insurance companies get wind of somebodys being damaged/destroyed by a bb/bb shrapnel its gonna cause havoc with site premiums, and whats bad for sites is bad for players.

Also, my two cents. Yes, your eyes are worth the money. Yes, ballistic goggles ect offer the most protection. Yes, woven mesh is sh1te. But, stamped mesh is sufficient for field games at least, if people are gonna put 20rnds at point blank in the same spot in my face you'll be seeing my gear in adverts.

On the issue of modding, yes and no. If there is any plausible risk, DONT DO IT. On the other hand, cutting the edges of a mesh is fine IMO. If you have to bend it back and forth then yes you will weaken it but on most cases it'll just be a slight pressure to get it into its surround. I think this is fine. That is infact how they are manufactured.

Also, forgot to say above, the loss of field of view when using an S10 is very minimal:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

elsi wrote: »

Yeah, Kevlar and the polymers they use are VERY different. The plastic has enough elasticity to absorb the force of the impact.

Also, was it kevlar or kevlar, from my very limited knowledge the term kevlar is used very loosely.

elsi wrote: »

Kevlar is a trademarked name for an aramid fibre made by DuPont. Aramid fibres on their own aren't actually strong enough to stop anything sharper than a marble. The strength of an aramid lined protective device, such as a ballistic vest, comes from the way in which the layers of fibre are lined up, as well as how they are packed, in what order, what direction and how thickly/densely.
    I can throw a pencil through a sheet of kevlar, doesn't mean, when used correctly, it's not protective. It's about how the material is used, not what it is. Either way, given the cost of proper ballistic sheeting, I'm sure you actually don't fire at it in your spare time. Even if you could find a source for it, afford it and get it to yourself, it'd be a rather expensive venture. That said, you may do that, it doesn't bother me either way.

I have some rather excellent images of USMC casualties in Iraq who have been wearing the same goggles I'm referring to during IED explosions. I'd post them here to prove the quality but for three things;
    1) It's off topic, the thread is about airsoft applications.
    2) They're a bit gruesome.
    3) I really don't see the point in trying to validate them. If you don't believe me, I'm not sure I care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭NakedHedgehog

Sites can only do so much. I doubt it's going to pump up insurance- after all, if the insurance company gets wind that you hand-made your eye protection and you received injury to your eye, they'll be very quick to refuse you any type of reparations.

I was initially against the whole "total seal" rule, but in retrospect it really doesn't impact anything and as a result I have found a pair of glasses I'm perfectly happy with.

NakedDex:
    I had the chance to talk to a Marine that got some (not half as bad as some other images I have seen) shrapnel to his face. He was wearing ESS goggles which he swore saved his eyes.

Frank the Manc:
    I don't really care if you end up damaging your eye with bits of bbs and shards of metal or not. Have at it. Just stop trying to bait people. You're dragging things down.

I had the chance to talk to a Marine that got some (not half as bad as some other images I have seen) shrapnel to his face. He was wearing ESS goggles which he swore saved his eyes.

Those are the reports I'm hearing too. Some fantastic, if gruesome, images of blast damage to faces with a perfect silhouette of the goggles the soldier/marine/airman was wearing at the time created around the blood and gore. If that's not an endorsement of the high price units, I'm not sure what is.

Advertisement