Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The implosion of Iceland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Would now be a good time to invest in some Icelandic currency then, or will the currency never regain its value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

sitstill wrote: »
    Would now be a good time to invest in some Icelandic currency then, or will the currency never regain its value?

I wouldn't Iceland's currency is doomed and it is only a matter of time before they either join or adopt the Euro as their currency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

Tony Broke wrote: »
    Iceland have one huge advantage over most of the rest of the world - a seemingly limitless supply of cheap clean energy (geothermal).

They also have complete control over their very large coastal fisheries area.(The reason they stayed out of the EU.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

The reason they stayed out of the EU.

You're saying that Iceland's reason for staying outside the EU was fishy?

tell your friends. I am here all week.

• Advertisement

asdasd wrote: »
    You're saying that Iceland's reason for staying outside the EU was fishy?.

A large factor.

They have fought Cod Wars with Britain in over their fisheries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_Wars

They now have a NEW Cod War with Britain:
    Cash On Delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If people in Ireland thought their budget was bad I can imagine what the upcoming budget would be like for Iceland. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

Just back from a weekend in Iceland and I found the similarities between it and Irealnd frightening.

If it was'nt for our EU membership there would be a green canary in the coalmine.

On the plus side its suddenly become very cheap there, about 33% less then here. A fantastic holiday location that I'd highly recommend, before rampant inflation kicks in that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Just back from a weekend in Iceland and I found the similarities between it and Irealnd frightening.

why? from an economic perspective our economics are nothing alike...

why? from an economic perspective our economics are nothing alike...

It's the women who frightened him.

Recent analysis of their Mitocondrial DNA proves that Icelandic women are of Irish descent whereas Icelandic men are Norwegians.

Them-thar Vikings really did steal our women!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭todolist

I believe the EU dictators(the guys who'll make you vote again on Lisbon and give them the result they requested first time) are behind the collapse in Iceland.They seen their chance to force Iceland into the EU and the euro.Norway is next on the hit list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

todolist wrote: »
    I believe the EU dictators(the guys who'll make you vote again on Lisbon and give them the result they requested first time) are behind the collapse in Iceland.They seen their chance to force Iceland into the EU and the euro.Norway is next on the hit list.

They went to a lot of trouble didn't they ? Secretly forcing all those Icelandic banks to overextend themselves borrowing money to buy all that stuff and then engineering a global financial crisis to catch them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

why the hell would the EU 'dictators' (by this i presume you mean the democratically elected heads of state?) want another f*cked up economy to join their ranks and add further pressure to the already overstretched EU budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Yeah...

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Norway is next on the hit list.

God help anybody who tries to put oil-rich Norway on any "Hit List".

Norwegians have a reputation for going "berserk".

After all,they gave us the word !

From Icelander Snorri Sturlson's "Ynglinga Saga" :

"Odin's men went to battle without armor and acted like mad dogs or wolves. They bit into their shields and were as strong as bears or bulls. They killed men, but neither fire nor iron harmed them. This madness is called berserker-fury."

Beware!

Advertisement