Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Cliff Rescue Pics Mark II

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

delly wrote: »
    Well not having the full facts, i'm not going to question the use of the helicopter, and again i'm already said that no change in response would happen. What I am however suggesting, and only putting the idea out there is if somebody puts themselves in a dangerous position voluntarily then maybe there could be some way of recouping costs. Theres a big black and yellow sign stating 'DANGEROUS CLIFFS', so you know what your getting into. Perhaps adding a sign stating 'EMERGENCY RESCUE SERVICES ACCEPT VHI/BUPA' would make people think :D

How are the Coast Guard paid? Would it be through our taxes? Or does your idea only apply to unemployed people?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

gatecrash wrote: »
    How are the Coast Guard paid? Would it be through our taxes? Or does your idea only apply to unemployed people?

Do you mean how are the coastguard currently paid, if so then obviously thru' taxes.

I think people really are taking me up wrong on this, its just a suggestion where negligent or irresponsible people get penalised for calling on such a vital and important service. However it seems from the tone of most people that they feel the emergency services should be at the beck and call of all citizens without consequences, even if that citizen has been acting the plonker. And I again reiterate that I'm not saying that this is the case here, but its what put the thought in my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I think people really are taking me up wrong on this, its just a suggestion where negligent or irresponsible people get penalised for calling on such a vital and important service.

OK fair enough
    However it seems from the tone of most people that they feel the emergency services should be at the beck and call of all citizens without consequences, even if that citizen has been acting the plonker.

How do we determine what is negligence and what is acting the plonker? Is a single woman, broken down in the middle of the night on a dark road entitled to call the gardai cos she panics, instead of ringing the AA or RAC or something?
    If that woman is my sister then HELL yes she's entitled to call them. I'll slag her to death later but if she feels that she warrants an emergency call cos she is in fear for her safety then don't think about it, make the call.
    And as i said, afterwards I'll call her a plonker!! :p
    And I again reiterate that I'm not saying that this is the case here, but its what put the thought in my mind.

Your idea has some merit but my point is how do we decide.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well therein lies the problem, I have know idea how it would work, but I'm sure most of the regular posters here could give good examples where they have been frustrated by timewasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Tony46 wrote: »
    The incident actually happened approx 10-15 mins walk from the point marked here. The coastgaurd helicopter was not available at the time so the emergency services transported the patient across the hill to the spot you have marked where the helicopter became available and airlifted the patient. Was the helicopter justified, yes. The cliff walk is quite treacharous and for the crew to carry a stretcher two abreast would be quite dangerous, the route across the hill likewise. To say that the patient should be held responsible is ridiculous. Is someone out enjoying a stroll irresponsible? No they are not. Accidents can happen anywhere at anytime and if anything this should instill peoples confidence in the emergency services in the knowledge that if something does happen to them we have an excellent emergency response there to help.

Thanks for correcting that. I was only as good as my source who was down in the car park, time and altitude were against me so I was rushing. I thought my assumptions were reasonable as the pickup point is a bit weird to get to from up the cliff walk. They must have taken one of the paths up off the walk into Gerry O'Briens (fields) and then turned north and downhill to where I have marked. That's a dodgy enough walk with rabbit holes and uneven ground, but a lot less scarier than the cliff walk especially if you have developed vertigo like to the extent I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

delly wrote: »
    Do you mean how are the coastguard currently paid, if so then obviously thru' taxes.

I think people really are taking me up wrong on this, its just a suggestion where negligent or irresponsible people get penalised for calling on such a vital and important service. However it seems from the tone of most people that they feel the emergency services should be at the beck and call of all citizens without consequences, even if that citizen has been acting the plonker. And I again reiterate that I'm not saying that this is the case here, but its what put the thought in my mind.

Someone falls down their stairs drunk after a night on the town and breaks a leg. Are they negligent or irresponsible? Maybe. Should they be denied a response because of that? You tell me.

Person goes to bed and leaves a candle burning. Result- house fire. Are they negligent.? Probably.

If you start differentiating between the causes of turnouts you defeat the purpose of having an emergency services in the first place.

There is absolutely no way of setting a benchmark for billing so called stupid calls as distinct to real calls as most of the time they are one and the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BizPost

Hi all
    The Irish Coast Guard (IRCG) helicopters are currently on tender to CHC. Canadian Helicopter Corporation are one of the biggest firms in the world. The are on contract to the cg. As the cg pay them for their 5 year contract and thats it. So every call doesnt cost the taxpayer a cent. We have already paid for them. So call away if its in anyway related to the sea, cliffs, mountains or shore. (Staff are also payed by CHC):D

Its hardly that simple! If the calls doubled they would increase their next tender price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭foxtrot-oscar

http://www.howthcoastguard.com/2009/01/22/injured-teenager-recovered-at-balscadden/

Link to latest cliff rescue in howth, including AGS, CG, CHC and DFB

Good video of the winching too

http://www.howthcoastguard.com/2009/01/22/injured-teenager-recovered-at-balscadden/

Link to latest cliff rescue in howth, including AGS, CG, CHC and DFB

Good video of the winching too
    GASU pics here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BizPost

Lowest bidder gets it. Tenders generally remain the same. Different thing written into contract like every shift has to go airborne for training. So if they get a call this counts as the airborne trg for that day. Very rare to get a more than one call a day, bar Shannon (Busiest in fleet)

Yea but all the tenders are going to be based on the number of calls. If they helicopter is called out for every little thing this makes for more calls which ultimately costs the tax payer.

Fair enough they need to go airbourne but am sure they can do a 20 min spin and not be off on a 2 hour trek because someone is suffering from a minor complaint that could be assisted by mountain rescue.

There's also the chance they can't go to a serious incident as they're on something that really doesn't need them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement