Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on UFC 93 (17th Jan, Dublin)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

UFC tends only to be pay per view when its on in the UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

ROC1977 wrote: »
    UFC tends only to be pay per view when its on in the UK and Ireland.

I think its the opposite. UFC in the US is normally PPV for Domestic and other North American shows, but is normally free when its on over this side of the pond. Due to the fact that its on live during the afternoon there and wouldnt get many PPV buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I think its the opposite. UFC in the US is normally PPV for Domestic and other North American shows, but is normally free when its on over this side of the pond. Due to the fact that its on live during the afternoon there and wouldnt get many PPV buys.

???
    You do realise that come next February, they'll have had 8 PPVs over this side of the pond in 2 years, right? 70, 72, 75, 80, 85. 89, 93 and 95.

With all due respect, the cryogenic suspension unit is thataway! ->

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    ???
    You do realise that come next February, they'll have had 8 PPVs over this side of the pond in 2 years, right? 70, 72, 75, 80, 85. 89, 93 and 95.

They're shown free on Spike TV on tape delay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

???

UFC != PPV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭mickmac

Apologies if this has been dealt with already, but does anyone know of any bars in the city centre that'll be showing the fights and would have a good reputation for playing host to MMA fans?

I didn't get tickets for the event but I'd still fancy a trip up to Dublin if I could find somewhere with a bit of atmosphere to have a pint.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

???

???
    What?
    I don't think any of those shows have been PPV in the US.
    AFAIK they have all been on Spike for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

lafors wrote: »
    ???
    What?
    I don't think any of those shows have been PPV in the US.
    AFAIK they have all been on Spike for free.

72, 80 and 85 were on PPV in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Tomasz Drawl is on the card. There will be Polish lads clamouring for tickets now, they love their MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

???
    You do realise that come next February, they'll have had 8 PPVs over this side of the pond in 2 years, right? 70, 72, 75, 80, 85. 89,

Half of those shows were free on Spike.

As for 93 and 95, according to mmaconvert Spike are not prepared to use alot of their budget up early on in the year paying for ppv calabre UFC shows, so it looks like they have no choice but to air them on ppv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Tomasz Drawl is on the card. There will be Polish lads clamouring for tickets now, they love their MMA.

A whole lot of scalping going on closer to the show methinks.

Has anyone received there tickets by post from Ticketmaster yet? It says on my Ticketmaster account they've been dispatched but I haven't got them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

I haven't gotten mine, I wouldn't worry though I only got my tickets for the London shows a week or two before the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Has anyone received there tickets by post from Ticketmaster yet? It says on my Ticketmaster account they've been dispatched but I haven't got them yet.

Aint got mine yet and was wondering the same thing a few weeks ago. Glad its not just me waiting for them.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

It's sold out, there are tickets for sale on Ebay and some of the members on this forum said you might be able to buy tickets at the door

For it being sold out it is rather funny that there's still tickets for sale on Ticketmaster when I checked randomly a few minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    For it being sold out it is rather funny that there's still tickets for sale on Ticketmaster when I checked randomly a few minutes ago.

Just €250 tickets left from what I can see, but better than giving a scalper extra money for a worse seat.
    I guess when it sold out so quick they somehow managed to squeeze in some more of those profitable ringside chairs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Jolt2007 wrote: »

Im only going on what it says on the UFC UK website.

i.cfc?method=get&s=B74E1D13-1422-0E8C-9A879C219F7AD98A.jpg&rs=95&q=100&x=-2&y=-3&w=300&h=100&ro=0

i heard the undertaker is going to be fighting for the heavyweight title in UFC 97. lol
    might as well be. UFC is turning into the new WWE. Brock Heavyweight champ after 4 MMA fights what a joke. And Dana White has the cheek to say Kimbo is joke. (which he is).
    Any ranking system in the UFC nope!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

i heard the undertaker is going to be fighting for the heavyweight title in UFC 97. lol
    might as well be. UFC is turning into the new WWE. Brock Heavyweight champ after 4 MMA fights what a joke. And Dana White has the cheek to say Kimbo is joke. (which he is).

I think you need to check how many fights Randy had before his first title fight mate. :rolleyes:

rovert wrote: »
    I think you need to check how many fights Randy had before his first title fight mate. :rolleyes:

Well done you saw the build up show on Setanta. Thats my point. NO RANKING SYSTEM.
    I don't need to check anything. I've followed the UFC since it started,seen every event,and NO not ordered the DVD's like most did once they saw TUF on Bravo a few years ago.

When Randy had his first title fight the UFC was a different thing all together anyway. He was called in as a whipping boy. But won his fight.

• Advertisement

Well done you saw the build up show on Setanta. Thats my point. NO RANKING SYSTEM.
    I don't need to check anything. I've followed the UFC since it started,seen every event,and NO not ordered the DVD's like most did once they saw TUF on Bravo a few years ago.

Sure mate whatever you say Ive followed the UFC myself since the start but didnt during the dark years as it was fairly hard to.
    When Randy had his first title fight the UFC was a different thing all together anyway. He was called in as a whipping boy. But won his fight.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

A ranking system is a detriment if you're trying to run a successful promotion. You've got to have the freedom to put on the fights that people want to see and not be tied down by giving a set guy a title fight all the time

A guy like Cain Velasquez would probably top a rankings system soon. But him in a title fight right now isn't good business. With a few more wins and some more starpower behind him, he could do great business

As a so called long time fan you arent a great judge of talent if you cant see the difference between Brock and Kimbo, ROC1977.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Two thread went from convo to argument after you got involved. Common sense would indicate you need to take you head out of you ass and appreciate that other people are allowed to disagree with you.

Tone it down or it's lights out.;)

Dragan

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ah it's here aswell.Dammit.

Anyway. WAR ACE!!!!WAR SHOGUN!!!! I've said my part :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

The guy won the title man, you may have had a point if he'd been dominated but he went in there and won the fight. Don't you think that proves that he was worthy of a title shot?

Kimbo is a joke, he was dismantled by a sub-average 205 pounder who only found out about the fight two hours beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Roc, this is the second thread that's went massively off track after your involvment.
    Why don't you go make a UFC vs WWE thread, and we can all ignore you over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

This post immediately reminded of me of my ill fated and subsequently aborted attempt at reading and posting on the sherdog forums. Let's face it, our lovely forum has been infiltrated by sherdog trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Are boxing matches arranged by a ranking system or do promoters set up opponents based on who they feel will create a bigger pay day for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Are boxing matches arranged by a ranking system or do promoters set up opponents based on who they feel will create a bigger pay day for them?

Kinda both.

A champion has mandatory challengers based on the official ranking system, and you have to be ranked in order to challenge for the belt.
    A champ can pick maybe two out of three fights, but the third would be against one of the top ranked fighters.

Like Bernard Dunne who picked his first defences of his European title against Jailauov and Walstad, but then had to fight the mandatory contendor match, and well we all know what happened when he got in the ring with Kiko Martinez.

Boxing isn't a great example though, as we all know just how dirty it is, and a lot of fighters buy their ranking rather than earing it.

Advertisement