Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support for Motorhomes in Cork Area

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Dont forget most large hotels are owned by politically active people who have no qualms about using the law to help business.We should be competing for holidaymakers instead of harassing them.Maybe a few lean years will open their eyes .If you decide to avoid a location because of a poor welcome make sure to let them know all about it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 12 zuzutje

Hi to all,

I agree totally whit sunchaser.
    I am original from Belgium but live and work in Co.Cork now.
    We have been travelling all over Europe in our campervan and have to say, Ireland is the worse Country to visit.
    Sometimes I would think, they don’t want us here? It cost almost a fortune to come here, and if we are here, the chase you away! Please tell me if this is true!
    Be sure that it will be the last time they would ever travel to Ireland. As a campervan owner is very social and talks a lot to others campervan owners they would spread the word very fast.
    And it would be happening already today. Same goes for the hotels and B&B to expensive, not friendly and anti social! Ireland will not be loved for it.
    They would rather go to the sun were they are very much appreciated for the € they spend!!!
    The camper haven country to my choice would be Germany! As they have the best and cleanest stopovers (Wohnmobil stellplats)
    Some are privately but most will be council owned. If Campervans just bring litter, no council would consider keeping them open. Same goes for France.

Best wishes,
    Vincent en Katia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zulurita

I have emailed in support of motorhomes. I am concerned as we had hopped to tour Ireland, I myself have never been.

My friend and I tour extensively in Europe and in particular France where we use the Aire de Services nearly all the time.

We are not against paying for services and often do pay in France, especially now more Aires are payable. It is only right that we pay for water etc. What we do not like are the exhorbitant prices of campsites, we are on pensions so find high campsite fees difficult.

Simple safe parking areas with access to water and dumping facilities are all we need whilst touring.

I will keep an eye on what is happening in Ireland, otherwise it will be back to France next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 phelangroovy

I have just read this thread and have posted a similar thread on the motorcaravan club site. I spent the past easter on the Shannon and was amazed at the amount of state provided infrastructure. We badly need to get a countrywide group going to lobby starting with board failte and working down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kettlon

we travel to france with our motorhome and whilst there we use the local shops and resturants they have got it right with the facilitys they provide.The counsilors are going to kill tourism altogether just like the fishing which used to bring millions to this country check the river banks now so much lost revenue for ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DVD2009

i do agree wit alot of what is said, the facilities for boats on the shannon and at certain points along the canal are fantastic , but if the various councils did provide areas with the same facilities as they have in france and germany how long would it be , before they are vanalised , abused beyond repair or used as an halting site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

DVD2009 wrote: »
    i do agree wit alot of what is said, the facilities for boats on the shannon and at certain points along the canal are fantastic , but if the various councils did provide areas with the same facilities as they have in france and germany how long would it be , before they are vanalised , abused beyond repair or used as an halting site.

That would be easily sorted (mostly) by providing a security guard to let people in and out. A credit card swipe for security in case of damage might be an idea too. It also gives people peace of mind to have a security guard there.
    If it could be made to pay for itself it would be a source of jobs too.

€10 per night would be reasonable for basic security, safety and water facilities without all the extra facilities of a campsite.

Oh I just came across this in google. It seems Youghal is the place to be with a motor home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭niloc1951

DVD2009 wrote: »

One answer is to locate the 'aire' in a public area eg. close by Garda station, council offices, library, community centre, etc. as is often the case in France.
    In such locations c.c.t.v. and good lighting is often found, this would give added security to us and deter unwanted 'guests' who, as a rule, feel most uncomfortable when illuminated and c.c.t.v'd.
    Vive La France

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

This might be a suggestion for our two moderators to think through.

With regard to joining existing clubs, as members of this forum are from all over the country would it not be possible for us to form our own on-line club and apply for affiliation to all the county/province clubs ?.

After all, the RSA recognised us as an organised group earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

With regard to joining existing clubs, as members of this forum are from all over the country would it not be possible for us to form our own on-line club and apply for affiliation to all the county/province clubs ?.

I already consider this forum as a club, all be it informal.
    Not sure what would be involved and a problem I would see it that members drift in and out all the time. Would there be sufficient core of members to run a "club"?
    A club would allow us to lobby for discounts for dealer members on here (Aidan, That's a hint)

Let's see what the "chairman" says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

stapeler wrote: »
    I already consider this forum as a club, all be it informal.
    Not sure what would be involved and a problem I would see it that members drift in and out all the time. Would there be sufficient core of members to run a "club"?
    A club would allow us to lobby for discounts for dealer members on here (Aidan, That's a hint)

Let's see what the "chairman" says.

"Chairman" says that this an open forum and will stay an open forum ...all and sundry are welcome to come and go as they please (within the forum rules, etc)

If members here want to form their own club or affiliation or whatever that's fine with me but I don't see me or boards for that matter taking a lead role in this. A forum is inclusive whereas a club is somewhat exclusive and therefore not really the kind of thing that boards is about.
    Furthermore a club always involves administration, fees, statutes and all that ...more things that don't really sit well with the basic idea of boards.

If some of you want to organise yourselves a little more closely you could always do so and ask the admins for a hosted/private forum ...this here forum should stay open to all.

No objection to Aidan (and/or others) offering special deals for boards members though :D

In no way was I suggesting that this forum should be anything other than what it is.
    I was hoping that other contributors might think along the lines of an ad-hoc club within this forum consisting of regular contributors to this site.
    When it comes to joining other clubs they seem to be in short supply.
    One club is the Munster Club. I live in Connaught not Munster so why would I join. Some are camping and caravan clubs, again not what I want. One was a little expensive for me as a pensioner and another stated that you had to be recommended by an existing member. I don't know any Motorhome/camping club members.

In no way was I trying to change things and I'm very surprised that , it at least appears, to have been taken that way.icon8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In no way was I trying to change things and I'm very surprised that , it at least appears, to have been taken that way.icon8.gif

Well ...you were suggesting that we as an "informal club" should get affiliated with the other clubs. While I would welcome other clubs (members) joining us on here (for example to form an interest group to push councils for more aires or something like that) ...affiliation isn't really what I would envisage.

Affiliation involves structure, statistics, records, names, reg-numbers, fees etc pp ...all the lovely things we we can do very well without :D

Peasant.
    Please re-read my posting with a little more care.
    The only time I used the word "suggestion" was in the part to the moderators. I suggested that you look at it in order to get your views. Nothing more and nothing less.
    I was asking if it would possible to form a club and apply to affiliate wth other clubs. I was not suggesting that we did so.
    The rest of the posting was just ideas to be kicked around, thought about and thrown away if considered un-workable.

Advertisement