Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report: Pripayt / Chernobyl 2008

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Two questions:

Why the gas masks/pictures of gas masks in the schools ? Was this some kind of disaster plan they had (limited benefit but better than nothing) 1980's civil defence measure (The USSR were considered better prepared in this regard than most western countries) or was it just a bit of WW2 history teaching ?

Secondly although the levels of radiation may not present much risk for visitors (due to the limited time spent there) what about the tour guides :eek:

Yeah i think its some kind of "duck and cover" style emergency procedure for the schoolkids to follow.

No idea about #2, youd have to ask them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 jgjkl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Fantastic stuff. Every time I see a thread like this I wish I was arsed to use a camera or buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

fab post, only seen it now. did anyone see the documentary last week or the week before (not sure but it was a thurs) on rte about that town and the ecosystem that exists there now, it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Intersting stuff.

Anyone into that I recommend they read Dom Joly's The Dark Tourist. Great read and it covers Chernobyl too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

This is probably one of the greatest threads ever on this forum, I wonder how safe a trip to Chernobyl would be? I know the sarcophagus is guaranteed for another decade but it would be highly dangerous if anything were to happen to it when you walk up outside the plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

I don't know if I should be bumping this but I'd just like to say I love the photos. I've never really had that urge to travel. Seeing the world is not high on my priorities list, but I do want to see Pripyat in person before I die.

Advertisement