Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Mornings paper.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

They picked a bad example in the AK as all Airsoft AK's bar Real Swords Type 56 have longer receivers then real AK's to fit the gearbox. They also have a much fatter pistol grip to fit the motor.

I know Mr. and Ms. Joe Public wouldn't spot the difference but it's glaring to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Fiach Dubh wrote: »
    They picked a bad example in the AK as all Airsoft AK's bar Real Swords Type 56 have longer receivers then real AK's to fit the gearbox. They also have a much fatter pistol grip to fit the motor.

I know Mr. and Ms. Joe Public wouldn't spot the difference but it's glaring to me.

Thats no M16 either Shocking:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

good point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Gatling wrote: »
    Thats no M16 either Shocking:eek::eek::eek:

didnt think so when looking at it,I actually think this article is much better then others because it explains the IAA and exactly what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

yeah which is quite unusal when you consider they dont normal mention the iaa at all ,
    and they more or less printed fact

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

If ya read through it you can tell they get their info from here on boards., its pretty much a dead cert they read here.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Yeh they have the facts that they mention right but its not very informative it seems a bit more like scare mongering and getting the public to say "oh please think of the children".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Better article than most, most public would not be able to tell the difference from a couple of feet away and any responsible airsoft will admit this problem and agree that they could be used for 'nefarious' activity and so vigilance and common sense from retailers and the community as a whole is needed, and separating yourselves from the 'market stall' retailers that are mentioned within the article.

Saying all that a large stick could equally be used for nefarious means, and you can not really turn around and use a defense of well the ''body is shorter'' ''it has the wrong markings lol'' most people do know know what the hell we are talking about and would not care if they came face to face with one.

There is no point bearing your head in the sand and making excuses and petty arguments defending yourselves as they clearly look like a firearms to most of the population and would be mistake as one.

A better article than most and seems to have had more research than normal, and the issue raised is a good one. Would have liked a clarification from the garda about brandishing this items in public being classed as assault. The wording in regard to customs is what i find the worst, a lot of stuff is seized and released without and issue, but the working implys that the items are seized as there illegal because of silences and grenade launders, they do not mention that the silencers barely work and the grenade launcher is more akin to a shotgun for bb and a pipe from your local hardware store could make a better 'grenade launcher', working like that does give a state the image of a state of afairs that does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm they actually have most of the facts correct. Don't like the sensationlist jist of the article but can't fault most of the content. I doubt very much that a hardened criminal will use an airsoft gbb or aeg in a robbery as the real thing is apparently very close to the prices of the airsoft versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

and when someone asks "what does the Irish Airsoft Association do for me...?"

read the article.

Well done IAA.

JOIN the Irish Airsoft Association. simple as

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I'm actually surprised for a change that there was a valid attempt at
    getting some facts across even if the article as a whole looked as though it
    was designed to shock Joe Soap Public.

There are similar articles
    on the papers at the moment bout Banning all Real steel Pistols across all Ireland and
    similar reports but none of the papers cant seem to grasp the fact that banning anything is
    not golng to solve crime, be it airsoft or real stuff.

It would be nice for a change if there was some PRO or positive article written up about
    airsoft in the national papers. (it may not sell papers but...) it would be nice all the same.
    Have someone try a skirmish, rather than have pictures of Guns guns guns, have pictures
    of group shots, and people having Fun, Promoting that its a sport thats different to the norm, good for team work, its a way to keep fit,

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

It actually comes back to what some of the lads said in the locked thread about bad-mouthing the press: don't bad-mouth any group, because they do read it, and anyone can take a human reaction and hold a grudge on how they've been written about here. It also shows that putting support behind a single coherent body to speak for us, encouraging realistic remedies is probably the best antidote to sensationalism.

Apologies to the the mods for bringing up a locked issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Interesting article.

Of course they didnt actually speak directly to us at all (the IAA) but that seems to be par for the course.

I wonder at the fact that it is the "crime correspondent" who is taking the credit for this article where no crime is being directly reported, no statistics are offered and only a vague reference to some naughty boys in Limerick (ahem... didnt we see this before?) is given to justify the "OMG - Dese tings are feckin' real lookin' lads! I could do de local posties wiv' dis!".

Jouornalism definitions (and this is not intended to be funny)

Garda source: Any garda anywhere. Doesnt have to be an officer and can infact be a receptionist. So long as they are a member of the Gardai it is not a lie.

Weapons Expert: Can be anyone when no qualification is given so long as they have a passing aquaintance with firearms or swords or knives etc. It may very well be that the journalist contacted a firearms dealership but it's just as likely that they simply asked "their cousin Bill down the pub who has a subscription to guns & ammo". Provided the source knows more about the subject than you do, it technically makesthem an expert.

Note on the text;

Just something that bugs me. Third paragraph;

"the weapon, which cost €200, can fire 6mm plastic pellets up to 50 meters - but is entirely legal" (my emphasis).

It bugs me because it is a single word. Three letters. It changes the entire tone of the paragraph (and all paragraphs after it).

"the weapon, which cost €200, can fire 6mm plastic pellets up to 50 meters - and is entirely legal" (my emphasis).

Very different tone. one is the "stop - hang on a minute, that 'aint right!" feeling and the other is a softer, more "hey, don't worry about it - let me tell you why" kind of vibe.

Paragraph 10

"Many of these guns are being used by people involved in the growing sport of airsoft"

It might seem like a minor point or just splitting hairs but this is symptomatic of the problem. It frames Airsoft the sport as merely a weird tag-along of this major issue of evil replicas in the hands of scumbags and not, as is the case, the original and legitimate purpose for their import and use in the Republic.

Paragraph 11

"This is where people dress up in camouflage gear and shoot at each other"

Ok, I am being a little pedantic about paragraphing and good grammar here but there is another point to be made. Starting a sentence with "This is where ..." is dismissive in tonality based in context. It rounds off the impression that the sport of airsoft is not what you should be worried about (good thing) but the fact that this kit is available at all (bad thing).

Overall, probably the best article we've had these past two years. It's much more fair than the usual muck we've seen flung. there are mjor issues I have with it (mainly to do with tone and not contacting the IAA for information or a statement) but the content of the text is far less inflamatory than some of the things we've seen.

... now if we could only convince the graphic designers and sub editors to stop showing real kit along side ours as though they are on equal footing.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

The one thing that ALWAYS annoys me is the "can be used in bank robbery" (non)argument. Would they actually prefer real guns were used in robberies?

edit: Anyone (IAA?) writing in to the newspaper about this article?

I should have pointed out that this was on page 23 also, unlike previous "in your face" articles, so maybe all of about 15 people saw it, :D

They also didnt mention anything about the fact that the gun was sold to them "IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY" where airsoft has been legal for many years and they brought it into the republic.,

vtec wrote: »
    I should have pointed out that this was on page 23 also, unlike previous "in your face" articles, so maybe all of about 15 people saw it, :D

They also didnt mention anything about the fact that the gun was sold to them "IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY" where airsoft has been legal for many years and they brought it into the republic.,

Lol +1 ... I missed that one.

edit: Anyone (IAA?) writing in to the newspaper about this article?

To be honest it doesnt achieve anything. They receive it and then ignore it.

We might pop them over a short note pointing to the fact that they mentioned us but didnt bother to make contact with us in regards to the facts.

But essentialy what can we say? We all know the argument about whether its better to use airsofts or real guns but that isnt what they were driving at. they said that they "could be used". They could. There is no argument to that statement.

Actually then it was purchased illegally wasn't it. Surely the VCRA forbits anyone other than licensed skirmishers to purchase an RIF? Why did this journalist not contact the PSNI for comment?

Nice spot vtec.

To be honest it doesnt achieve anything. They receive it and then ignore it.
    We might pop them over a short note pointing to the fact that they mentioned us but didnt bother to make contact with us in regards to the facts.
    But essentialy what can we say? We all know the argument about whether its better to use airsofts or real guns but that isnt what they were driving at. they said that they "could be used". They could. There is no argument to that statement.

Fair enough.

Anyone ever invite a journo out for a skirmish in an effort to get a more positive write-up?

gandalf wrote: »
    Actually then it was purchased illegally wasn't it. Surely the VCRA forbits anyone other than licensed skirmishers to purchase an RIF? Why did this journalist not contact the PSNI for comment?

Nice spot vtec.

Well spotted Gandalf.

/goes to write a letter about that.

• Advertisement

I spotted that alright so was surprised when they mentioned Gardaí and not PSNI. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

As soon as I spotted that in the article I immediately dismissed it [the article] as having any attempt at credibility. It's like going to Amsterdam and buying hash of some description, using it, and then writing about how it's illegal in Ireland or some such.

And it also looks like the VCRA was violated too. I'd wager that the stall it was bought from hasn't a clue what the VCRA is or implies.

Fair enough.

Anyone ever invite a journo out for a skirmish in an effort to get a more positive write-up?

Yep. We had RTE Radio out to HRTA one afternoon.

None of the others have taken us up on the offer.

i never even clicked about the location of purchace, very true they themselves broken the VCRA law in purchasing the item within the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

i thought discusing the iaa on these boards is not aloud on boards

That applies to queries you have with the IAA, they are the airsoft representitives and we are airsofters, so enivitably we will mention them from time to time.,

wow thats picky, you cannot really call it iaa discussion it was mentioned in passing as they are referred to in the article, by the letter of the charter could argue it but if you want to go that far and get the thread lock because of that I would see it as rather childish

2 cents

amaughan wrote: »
    i thought discusing the iaa on these boards is not aloud on boards

As this isn't specifically about the IAA its not an issue.

Any threads where specifics are being asked of the IAA or about the IAA should be addressed on their forums.

Now is there any reason why you didn't bother to report the posts you have problems with instead of posting on the thread, you've been around here long enough to realise thats how things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Just on the issue of them probably reading here, they most certainly do read forums and take quotes from them, usually entirely out of context, and paraphrased to make it seem a lot worse, so even on here, people should be careful what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Oh for God's sake, not again. We've been over this at least 3 times in the last month or two. Go away and read the previous threads on this subject.

Hive has answered this a million times already.

Advertisement